PDA

View Full Version : Morning Run

evnp85
06-05-2008, 08:57 AM
I'm not sure where this post would go so I put it in this forum.

Anyway, I've recently decided that I want to lose some fat. I'm probably around 18% bodyfat and would like to get down to around 12%. I lift heavy weights in the afternoons (around 6 PM) and never have the motivation to do cardio after that. I'm thinking about waking up a little earlier before work and running a mile or so every day during the week.

I've always read that cardio can contribute to some muscle loss. My question is: what should my morning diet be if my goal is to maintain as much muscle as possible? Should I eat my normal weight loss diet of high protein low carbs, or should I add in more carbs prior to running? My main concern is doing cardio after sleeping for 7 hours is really not going to leave my body with much to burn besides muscle.

ryuage
06-05-2008, 09:22 AM
if you're only doing a mile dont worry so much about changing anything. If you were doing 10 miles I might advise otherwise... whenever you can get to it as long as you get to it is what matters.

EightNTheBox
06-05-2008, 11:15 AM
I would eat a small amount of carbs before running and then have a normal sized breakfast afterwards, you want just enough carbs to power you through the workout so have some water and a protein bar or something and that should enable you to feel good during your run.

Torrok
06-05-2008, 11:36 AM
I'm not sure where this post would go so I put it in this forum.

Anyway, I've recently decided that I want to lose some fat. I'm probably around 18% bodyfat and would like to get down to around 12%. I lift heavy weights in the afternoons (around 6 PM) and never have the motivation to do cardio after that. I'm thinking about waking up a little earlier before work and running a mile or so every day during the week.

I've always read that cardio can contribute to some muscle loss. My question is: what should my morning diet be if my goal is to maintain as much muscle as possible? Should I eat my normal weight loss diet of high protein low carbs, or should I add in more carbs prior to running? My main concern is doing cardio after sleeping for 7 hours is really not going to leave my body with much to burn besides muscle.

if your body doesnt have any glycogen to fuel it , it will canabolize itself, starting with muscle for fuel.

eat before you run or lift

Eric Downey
06-05-2008, 01:02 PM
I run mon/wed/fri and my works out never suffer at night. we run only 1.5 to 2 miles. I have a small protein drink an hour b4 hand and then normal breakfast right after with my multi vit and the rest of my morning supps. Also so with summer here you wont have to do to much out side to break that good sweat and burn cal. By the way some time s on wed just to break it up me and my running partner do the bike trail thing so we do get bored. Its a nice change. I would roller blade but there something just not right about two big guys roller blading down the street together.