PDA

View Full Version : Accessory movements for Chest and Tri's

CMAND21
06-05-2008, 12:04 PM
I am looking for some different type of work for my chest and tris. I tend to stick to the basics for chest. Sometimes I will go a little outside the box for tris. I am looking for more unique type movements to either hit the muscle groups from different angles and or put a shock into them from doing something different.

I have just started back to doing chest twice a week. Day one is Heavy bench of about 10-12 sets of about 3-6 reps. Then tris for about 4-5 different movements of 4 sets each. Day two is typically 5-6 sets of light speed bench 10-15 reps. Heavy flat db bench, Flyes db or machine, and either incline or decline db. I usually also do close grip bench on day 2 also for 6 sets.

I finally crossed that 315 barrier and want 350 by October.

Jonah
06-05-2008, 12:41 PM
Tricep movements

JM Press
DB Rolling Extensions
Close Grip Board Press
Close gip Bench Press with either chains or bands
Lockout work, etc.

Check out http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?tid=51&__N=Exercise%20Index for more ideas

Don't forget lat work...helps with stability on the bench

Travis Bell
06-05-2008, 12:45 PM
dumbbell rollbacks, Tate Presses, straight bar extensions off pins, JM presses. Lots and lots of tricep stuff you can do

for chest the only thing I do is bench. I'll do rehab stuff on my off days with dumbbells or occasionally the pec deck but bench press is my mainstay

Eric Downey
06-05-2008, 12:51 PM
Personally i like DB work for my tris and banded smith machine work with a close grip. The DB stuff I can work on getting each arm stonger and in the smaith I just have to worry about pushing with my tri and not my chest and using my back and its safer for when youu tris die out, you know where the weight gonna fall at.

Erik 23
06-05-2008, 03:28 PM
dumbbell rollbacks, Tate Presses, straight bar extensions off pins, JM presses. Lots and lots of tricep stuff you can do

for chest the only thing I do is bench. I'll do rehab stuff on my off days with dumbbells or occasionally the pec deck but bench press is my mainstay

I agree with Travis i am no expert but what i do after my heavy bench day is like Triceps pushdowns what ever weight i can get for like 4 sets of 10-15 and maybe some tate presses like 4 sets of 10-12 and also close grip bench press i just work up to a single or double kind of like the ME day stuff.

For Chest i just do the Max Effort Training nothing special i try to follow what they do at westside barbell so mostly some form of bench i dont really do flys and stuff. Hope this helps

vdizenzo
06-05-2008, 05:12 PM
Erik 23 listen up, pushdowns are basically worthless. It's bad enough you do them yourself, don't recommend them to someone else.

Erik 23
06-05-2008, 05:40 PM
Erik 23 listen up, pushdowns are basically worthless. It's bad enough you do them yourself, don't recommend them to someone else.

Hi vince What do you recomend then in place of those i thought they were okay i just do them cause they dont aggravate the lower part of my tricep too much i know you were saying dumbell extensions before is there anything else that you would do in place of these.

lackie
06-05-2008, 05:51 PM
I do some sort of push down about once a week for a good pump and think they work great

MNRob
06-05-2008, 05:53 PM

Travis, forgive my ignorance, what are straight bar extensions off of pins?

vdizenzo
06-05-2008, 06:27 PM
I do some sort of push down about once a week for a good pump and think they work great

They are fine for a pump, but they are not an assistance exercise.

Travis Bell
06-05-2008, 06:28 PM
yeah, I really need to get to work on the vids of these movements, it'd sure make life easier for you guys wouldn't it haha

I bench i a power rack more times than not, so what I do is set the pins so that the bar sets about 2-3in. Then while pushing the bar against the back of the rack, I press the bar upwards until lockout. I usually work up to 250-275 on ME days for sets of 6-4. If I choose to do them on DE day I'll keep the reps 10-12. I rotate all my tricep work so that one exercise isn't allowed to beat apart my elbows too much. My elbows almost never hurt me at all.

vdizenzo
06-05-2008, 06:30 PM
Hi vince What do you recomend then in place of those i thought they were okay i just do them cause they dont aggravate the lower part of my tricep too much i know you were saying dumbell extensions before is there anything else that you would do in place of these.

Extensions; barbell, tricep bar, curl bar, dumbells. Tate presses, JM presses, reverse cambered bench, close grip bench, rack lockouts, board presses. There are ten just off of the top of my head.

Rob Luyando
06-05-2008, 07:17 PM

LOL! Holy **** I just found out what I have been doing wrong all these years.

If your looking for strong triceps for benching nothing works them harder then 4 & 5 brd close grip lock outs. Be it straight weight, bands or chains best exercise for strength training hands down.

Vincent is going to yell at me but I like doing pushdowns and I do them religiously. Note these are done after my lock out and speed benching. So basically my triceps are already fried prior to this exercise. I maintain strick form no cheating or rocking. I push down with fierce intesity moveing the cable downward as fast as I can. Then I raise it under control. usually do around 6 sets starting w/ @ 125 lbs and ending up @ 300 lbs.

But remeber 1 thing I am a different breed of machine so I don't always go with the norm.

TankOfTeamStone
06-05-2008, 07:25 PM
heres my favorite 5 exercises for triceps.... close grip bench, extensions, JM press, Tate press, and the mighty board presses shirted or raw

Travis Bell
06-05-2008, 07:47 PM

personally I doubt any tricep movement for you right now is a good idea. You are going to have to stop benching and doing triceps for at least a week minimum man. Heal those elbows up or else a tricep will tear. Once you tear one you can watch that nice bench go down to about the bar

Erik 23
06-05-2008, 08:15 PM
[QUOTE=Travis Bell;1941389]personally I doubt any tricep movement for you right now is a good idea. You are going to have to stop benching and doing triceps for at least a week minimum man. Heal those elbows up or else a tricep will tear. Once you tear one you can watch that nice bench go down to about the bar[/QUOT
Hi Travis yeah you got a point a week wouldnt kill me i wouldnt mind taking about a week off. I definately dont wanna tear nothing then instead of getting better ill be out of the game for awhile and i wont be Benching for a few months.Ill take good advice when i hear it Thanx man

Travis Bell
06-05-2008, 08:36 PM
also, go to a local CVS, or some pharmarcy store. Walmart might have it as well, but they make neoprene sleeves that hold a ice pack in them. Makes icing your elbows much easier. I just slide them on after each workout, but if you take a week off, try and ice them twice a day if you can. The ice packs will make that much more simple

bigbadwolfe
06-05-2008, 08:37 PM

I do tons of pushdowns all in what works for ya :)

Erik 23
06-05-2008, 08:57 PM
I do tons of pushdowns all in what works for ya :) I hear you wolf i guess you have to find out what works for you. by the way i am still plan on doing Your Charity meet this year i am really looking forward to it this year.

also, go to a local CVS, or some pharmarcy store. Walmart might have it as well, but they make neoprene sleeves that hold a ice pack in them. Makes icing your elbows much easier. I just slide them on after each workout, but if you take a week off, try and ice them twice a day if you can. The ice packs will make that much more simple

Oh i didnt know they made sleeves with ice packs i was told i think by Rob luyando that the cold packs arent too good but too only use the hot ones like bengay. But i could give it a try ill stop by there and pick some up Ill try that also ice twice a day thanx for the advice .

Travis Bell
06-05-2008, 09:29 PM
what I'm talking about are packs that you put in the freezer. Work great for me. the heat you should use pre workout.

Ryan Celli
06-05-2008, 09:35 PM
for chest i like to use incline db or barbell, incline flys, pec deck.
for tris i like db extenions off the floor off the bench, off inclines, pushdowns, kickbacks

Erik 23
06-05-2008, 09:46 PM
what I'm talking about are packs that you put in the freezer. Work great for me. the heat you should use pre workout.

Oh ok i know what your talking about now ive seen them at walmart ill stop by there and pick some up Thanx again.

Rob Luyando
06-06-2008, 08:32 AM
I do tons of pushdowns all in what works for ya :)

To side with Vince I will say that if I was training someone for building a strong bench and strong tri-ceps I wouldn't have them do push downs. What works for one doesn't genrally work for others. If you guys check out my training logs I stick with the basics. I don't waste time with all the fancy assitance exercises. This works for me and I don't let my training become stagnent.

Bottom line is find what works for you and use it. Never argue with Vincent becuase I am pretty sure he brings the most years of exsperience with his training knowledge. And by far probably the strongest raw bencher on this board.

vdizenzo
06-06-2008, 09:16 AM
To side with Vince I will say that if I was training someone for building a strong bench and strong tri-ceps I wouldn't have them do push downs. What works for one doesn't genrally work for others. If you guys check out my training logs I stick with the basics. I don't waste time with all the fancy assitance exercises. This works for me and I don't let my training become stagnent.

Bottom line is find what works for you and use it. Never argue with Vincent becuase I am pretty sure he brings the most years of exsperience with his training knowledge. And by far probably the strongest raw bencher on this board.

Thank you for your kind words "blush" Seriously though, I don't think any of us with the experience we have would recommend tricep pushdowns as a primary bench/tricep assistance exercise. I think it's too easy for some guys to just run over to the weight stack for pushdowns after bench instead of doing true bench assistance for triceps.

Looking at my original post I definitely threw the exercise right under the bus without qualifying the statement.

Travis Bell
06-06-2008, 09:57 AM
I think you hit the nail on the head there Vince. Anyone who reads my log notices I do alot of pressdowns. But I also do TONS of extensor work. The pressdowns are used for mostly high high rep stuff to help me have the endurance to grind out stuff. Call it tricep GPP if you want I guess. But the extensor work is the real stuff. Thats what makes weight lock out. If I had to throw something out, it'd be the pressdown crap. But since I don't I'll keep it haha.

On a real general basis here, I do tend to see guys spend waaay to much time on the pressdowns than extensor work - alot of them weren't big benchers though haha.

thewicked
06-06-2008, 10:02 AM
i'm with most of you guys... pressdowns are worthless unless you're rehabing/prehabing your elbows or working for endurance but even then...i'd not do them over jm presses, close grip benches, close grip inclines, board work, lockouts, etc. No amount of pressdowns as your tricep work will ever give you the power that you can and will get with those other suggestions. BARBELL overhead extensions are the only thing I can think of that could add some serious power and we're talking working with a wheel or more.

bigbadwolfe
06-08-2008, 07:54 AM
I'll stand my ground on pushdowns, have done the my whole training and they work great for me for what I want. They are def part of my training arsenal. BUT I also do other work for them to. I would never throw them under the bus :)

Stumprrp
06-08-2008, 08:33 AM
triceps my favorites are DB extensions or BB extensions, both trying to touch the ceiling with your elbows, the barbell ones are brutal.

thewicked
06-08-2008, 08:47 AM
I'll stand my ground on pushdowns, have done the my whole training and they work great for me for what I want. They are def part of my training arsenal. BUT I also do other work for them to. I would never throw them under the bus :)

well mike i'm sure it's difference if you're pushing down the whole freaking lat tower like i'm sure you do on the regular LOL

vdizenzo
06-08-2008, 01:32 PM
Yeah, Mike's the best :rolleyes:

Rob Luyando
06-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Yeah, Mike's the best :rolleyes:

For a gerbil lover he's not all bad!:hello:

Travis Bell
06-08-2008, 03:26 PM
haha I was wondering when that joke would make its way over here

PriestCometh
06-08-2008, 04:57 PM
Full range bands(double choked)
Bands(double choked) 2 board
Bands(double choked) 3 board
Full range Chains
Chains 2 board
Chains 3 board
DB Presses
DB presses incline
DB presses decline
DB presses on exercise ball
Floor presses(DB)
Floor presses(bar)
Pinpresses(my favorite exercise)
Pinpresses/chains
Pinpresses/bands
2 board presses
3 board presses
4 board presses
Incline
Decline

for the next ones you lay on a flat bench/exercise ball put the loops of the bands in your hands after you run them through the KBs:
Band presses with KBs attached
Band presses with KBs attached on exercise ball

For the next one you have to get olympic rings attach them to the top of the
power rack. And do press ups off the rings. Then at weight jacket.

this is just a few

bigbadwolfe
06-08-2008, 07:31 PM
For a gerbil lover he's not all bad!:hello:

Ahh Thanks guys :) Does that mean you all like me???

Hey Rob, dont know who took the pic from this weekend BUT OH MY GOD tell them I said thanks for the firepower :) Hahahahahaha!!!!

Rob Luyando
06-08-2008, 07:37 PM
Ahh Thanks guys :) Does that mean you all like me???

Hey Rob, dont know who took the pic from this weekend BUT OH MY GOD tell them I said thanks for the firepower :) Hahahahahaha!!!!

Behave your mentor is in those pics. LOL!

CMAND21
06-09-2008, 12:34 PM
Thanks for all the help. My last workout was great. I even had the "trainers" at my YMCA asking my about some the work I was doing. I even feel better now that I think I will be changing my goal of 350 bench by Oct. after doing a 425 x 2 4 board today. I can feel that my tris did something a bit different afterward, they are much tighter than normal. Thanks again for all your suggestions.