PDA

View Full Version : Walk not run

J Mac0123
06-05-2008, 05:37 PM
I read somewhere on here and tried to search it but came up dry, that for cutting it is better to do a steady walk on incline and keep your heartrate below 120BPM is better than going for a long distance jog. Just wondering if this is the case. I see a pro bodybuilder at my gym always walking on the incline treadmill. Thanks in advance.

Mike G
06-06-2008, 07:25 PM
I read somewhere on here and tried to search it but came up dry, that for cutting it is better to do a steady walk on incline and keep your heartrate below 120BPM is better than going for a long distance jog. Just wondering if this is the case. I see a pro bodybuilder at my gym always walking on the incline treadmill. Thanks in advance.

I think a lot of people (myself included) have better success with HIIT (do a search for more info). Short all out burst with recovery. Built has an article about cardio that is really good, you should be able to find it pretty easily, I would post it for you, but I'm lazy, sorry.

J Mac0123
06-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the help. I have heard about this HIIT thing. i'll try and search her up.

AJ Roberts
06-09-2008, 01:08 PM
Do a search for Excess Post Exercise Oxygen Consumption. You should find several articles and research papers that explain why HIIT is better than steady state.

J Mac0123
06-11-2008, 07:02 PM
thank you sir.

Eric Downey
06-12-2008, 09:16 PM
Walking on a steep incline at a speed of 3.5 your can burn just as much if not more cal. Thats my personal experience.

Auburn
06-12-2008, 09:33 PM
Lyle has written extensively on steady state vs. intervals on his blog:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/blog/2008/03/31/steady-state-versus-interval-training-introduction/

That's the first post on the topic, and there are quite a few after that. Definitely worth checking out.

On incline treadmill vs. jogging, I think incline walking is vastly superior for most people due to the lessened strain on the body from impact. To go further, incline walking seems to give much better control over heart rate.

cphafner
06-12-2008, 09:39 PM
I walked on an incline prepping for my show. Did fine for me. I'd either walk or do some kind of HIIT cardio.

J Mac0123
06-23-2008, 06:14 PM
Lately I have been walking on incline for 10 mins at 3.5, then do HITT 30/30 for 6 mins speed is as fast as the tread mill goes, then walk on incline for 4 mins at 3.5. 20 mins total every night this a pretty good set up ? More of something, less of something ?

left hook
06-23-2008, 11:28 PM
I just do a brisk 5 minute walk to warm up then do 1 minute of sprinting 1 minute walk and repeat ten tims. Now that's on treadmills. The hill behind my house and outdoor sprints are different.

Guido
06-24-2008, 03:18 PM
HIIT is where it's at. Do short sprints, run hills all out, or something similar and then reap the benefits.

Mark!
06-24-2008, 09:07 PM
I usually use the elyptical at the gym, but didn't see any benefits from doing usually 45 minutes to an hour 4-5 days a week. I used to run/jog on a treadmill and at a park and saw a better result with that. I'm back to the treadmill and starting to incorporate some HIIT at the park on the football field. I've only been doing it for a few days so far but I'll repost back with results when I see them.

ryuage
06-24-2008, 10:49 PM
in the end it will come down to expending more calories than you consume.

Mix it up and do both.

Willie
07-04-2008, 09:29 AM
Do "google" search for 'Izumi Tabata.' (I think that's his name.)

For fat loss, intervals beats out steady state, hands down. That's not to say that a nice, steady walk is _bad_, it's just simply not as effective. I like to use a walk as an "active rest" day to burn some extra calories without suffering too much. And for me intervals=suffering.