PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Green Tea thread, different question.

Dan9108
06-07-2008, 05:59 PM
Ok, so I just discovered green tea and i'm quite glad I did. I'm just not sure if i'm making it correctly. I put the tea bag in the cup, with the water and I put it in the microwave for 2 min. Could microwaving it remove anything beneficial in the tea? Should I heat the water and then pour it in the cup with the bag and let it steep? Or put it in altogether?

Also, could I just put the bag in with the water and let it soak for a few minutes and squeeze the tea bag and just drink it cold, or is microwaving/boiling needed?

Sorry, it may be a stupid question, but I'm not very tea experienced.

Jordanbcool
06-07-2008, 09:13 PM
Heating it is fine. Don't worry about it. Whatever method you desire to prepare it is fine.

shazoo123
06-07-2008, 10:05 PM
tea is what it is. you put the tea in hot water in order to extract all the nutrients from the tea. now it must be warm/hot water in order for this process to occur. It is absolutely fine to put the bag in there with the microwave if u want to. I usually do this method when I have little time, and can't spare any for it to steep. But optimally, if u heat the water then let the tea bag steep for a couple minutes you'll get a great cup of tea. Now if u want cold tea, u must do this process but then chill it for long in order to have it cold. You can't just put it in cold water, nothing would really happen. Notice how i said warm/hot water. For green tea, water too hot can burn the leaves leaving a bitter taste. So be careful and just get the water to before it reaches a rolling boil.