PDA

View Full Version : ALN Supplements during WBB Routine 1.1

randommetalguy
06-07-2008, 10:04 PM
Hey guys,

I'm been lifting pretty religiously since the beginning of February. I went from 200 lbs to 185 lbs while increasing my lifts. I did a cycle of creatine from March - April and now I'm getting ready to get back on it. I thought about using Results but I still have more than half my bottle of creatine left so I'm going to use it instead. I might get Results for weeks 15-19 of WBB 1.1. Anyways I'm one week into the WBB 1.1 and wanted your thoughts on my supplements I plan on taking. I wouldn't mind putting on about 5 lbs of LBM.

Training days:
Morning: 1 Multiplus tablet and Fish Oil capsule
Lunch: 1 scoop Nitrean
Preworkout: 5 g creatine with Kool aid
Postworkout: Opticen

Off days:
Morning: 1 Multiplus tablet and Fish Oil capsule
Lunch: 1 scoop Nitrean
Dinner: 5 g creatine with Kool aid and one scoop Nitrean

Thanks for your help

cphafner
06-07-2008, 10:12 PM
why are you taking nitrean at dinner and lunch? Are you eating at those meals also? What does your diet look like. That is more important.

randommetalguy
06-07-2008, 10:15 PM
Yes, I will be eating during those meals as well. I will be taking Nitrean during those times just to supplement my protein intake to be sure I get 180-200 g of protein per day.

When I tracked my diet in fit day I was getting about 120 g of protein per day with a total of roughly 3300 calories per day.

cphafner
06-07-2008, 10:17 PM
post your diet up. You should easily get more 120 from whole foods.

randommetalguy
06-07-2008, 10:24 PM
http://fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=randommetalguy

That is the link to my fit day. I kept it pretty well from March to April. If you look at the individual dates I pretty much got around 120 g of protein total every day which is low. Everyone once in a while I hit 160.

In order to gain 5 lbs of LBM what should should be my target protein intake?

cphafner
06-07-2008, 10:38 PM
your diet needs a major overhaul. Lots of crap on there (hot dogs, microwave chili, pizza hut). You need to get the diet down first, and then worry about adding supplements. Take a look here and at the other stickies in the nutrition forum

http://www.atlargenutrition.com/gainingmass.php

325rider
06-07-2008, 11:01 PM
NEVER USE KOOL-AID AGAIN. I dont care what you think, get some white grape juice, apple juice, etc..... NONE of that drink crap

randommetalguy
06-07-2008, 11:50 PM
Thank you for all of the constructive criticism to this point. However, getting back on topic, provided that the diet gets fixed, which supplements should I be adding while on this lifting routine?

325rider
06-08-2008, 12:44 AM
sry i said i dont care what you think lol. I just hate seeing mistakes being made that are SO easily correctable. I think you need whey, casein, and maybe keep cycling that creatine :thumbup:

cphafner
06-08-2008, 07:57 AM
supplements you propose are fine, but will be a waste unless you fix the diet. No reason to take the nitrean at lunch and dinner. Use it before and after your workout.

chris mason
06-08-2008, 09:15 AM
Why are you saying the supplements will be a waste unless he fixes his diet? This obsession with diet I see so prevalent on forums like this one is really only applicable for hardcore cutting or pre-contest dieting. I guarantee you I could eat 10 hit dogs a day and do just as well in the gym relative to the same caloric content being from rice and chicken. Protein, carbs, fats, and electrolytes are the most important nutrients relative to training. Fast foods have them just like what people would consider classic bodybuidling foods such as the aforementioned rice and chicken. Calories in vs. calories out are much more important than the macro content of your foods unless you are in a hypo-caloric state.

We don't even know his goal?

Random, are you still wanting to cut, or are you trying to gain weight?

cphafner
06-08-2008, 09:16 AM
Chris, did you look at the link to what he eats? He needs to get the basics of a good diet down. Not a pre-contest diet. His diet consists of hot dogs, microwave chili, pizza hut. Adding a couple scoops of protein is not going to help there, regardless of his goals imo.

Here are your exact words, and this is all I am trying to point his to do before diving into thinking supplements are the answer

You should consume healthy foods which are as natural as possible, calorie dense, and high in quality protein. Just SOME of the best foods are as follows:

Red meats
Fish
Poultry
Eggs
Whole milk
Cheeses
Peanut butter

chris mason
06-08-2008, 09:19 AM
Chris, did you look at the link to what he eats? He needs to get the basics of a good diet down. Not a pre-contest diet. His diet consists of hot dogs, microwave chili, pizza hut. Adding a couple scoops of protein is not going to help there, regardless of his goals imo.

You know, it would probably blow your mind to see what I eat. I seem to do ok in the gym and have a decent looking physique. Don't be brain washed by the bodybuilding media.

Tell me something. Exactly what is the problem with his diet? How is it hurting him? Don't just say he should clean it up, provide reasons why.

cphafner
06-08-2008, 09:30 AM
He has no quality protein sources. He has no fiber (veggies). Poor carb sources. That's my opinion. Sorry if I've been brainwashed, but it's worked well for me. The same basis of my diet beliefs are what are preached in the TNT diet. I didn't tell him to go as extreme as carb cycling, but the basics are important imo.

From the TNT author.

2. Consume high-quality protein at every meal. Eating protein ensures that your body always has the raw material available to build and maintain muscle, even while you lose fat.

325rider
06-08-2008, 10:31 AM
You know, it would probably blow your mind to see what I eat. I seem to do ok in the gym and have a decent looking physique. Don't be brain washed by the bodybuilding media.

Tell me something. Exactly what is the problem with his diet? How is it hurting him? Don't just say he should clean it up, provide reasons why.

Wow. I officially have lost a lot of love for this forum. I hope nobody else thinks like that.

BFGUITAR
06-08-2008, 11:08 AM
This is wannabebig. In terms of his goals he can eat what ever he wants just in moderation. If he wants to be healthy than he needs to eat better foods.

The definition of healthy isn't "I am not sick" but rather "I am promoting health" (by eating nutritious foods).

randommetalguy
06-08-2008, 01:31 PM
We don't even know his goal?

Random, are you still wanting to cut, or are you trying to gain weight?

I have cut down from 200 to 185 with the "diet" that is outlined in my fit day. I think the reasoning there is that I was burning approx. 3600 calories a day while taking in a little over 3000 (this is all according to fit day btw). I do eat red meat and chicken but it's usually prepared within Chicken Helper or tacos. Since the journal for most of May I was eating some round eye steaks (I think that was the cut) and lots of pork chops. I have been eating frosted minii wheats for breakfast and having yogurt as a mid morning snack at work lately.

To answer the question though, I would like to gain 5 pound of LBM over the course of this work out while increasing my strength.

Since my choice of supplements seems to agree with everyone perhaps we could move this to do the diet sub forum while you guys help me resolve the rest of the diet issue. For the next 7 days I'll track my diet again in fit day and maybe it will help you guys see my current diet rather than one that is a couple months old.

chris mason
06-08-2008, 07:15 PM
Wow. I officially have lost a lot of love for this forum. I hope nobody else thinks like that.

Wow, I have officially helped a lot of people lose a lot of body weight and add strength (like some of the strongest men in the world). Perhaps I know a little about what I speak?

You can lose what you want, but facts are facts. If he was pre-contest dieting or on a substantial hypo-caloric diet I would think differently.

Travis Bell
06-08-2008, 08:30 PM
In my small experience, I'm inclined to agree with Chris. Since the guy isn't really worried about looks so much as just the weight, why complicate his life beyond what he needs to? Just lower the caloric intake in comparison to caloric expenditure. Sure it might not be ideal for maintaining strength or achieving a more cut up look, but the guy just wants to lose weight.

cphafner
06-09-2008, 05:21 PM
I thought about it on my subway ride home from the gym, and I can understand what Chris and Travis are saying. If someone is just looking to drop a bit of weight, then a simple calorie deficient workout (even full of crap) would work. Some of us do look for much more out of diet that, but it could make sense for newer lifters just to keep it simple.

Chris have you posted your cutting methods that some of the lifters have been using? I don't recall seeing anything, and was interested what it is. The last method I recall you mentioning for yourself was the TNT diet.

chris mason
06-09-2008, 05:36 PM
I thought about it on my subway ride home from the gym, and I can understand what Chris and Travis are saying. If someone is just looking to drop a bit of weight, then a simple calorie deficient workout (even full of crap) would work. Some of us do look for much more out of diet that, but it could make sense for newer lifters just to keep it simple.

Chris have you posted your cutting methods that some of the lifters have been using? I don't recall seeing anything, and was interested what it is. The last method I recall you mentioning for yourself was the TNT diet.

Well, first, I wrote our Fat Loss Guide which comes free with the stack. It is published there. Next, published an article about my work with Mike Wolfe. There are several others I am working with and will probably publish articles about as well. In a nutshell, I am much more about total caloric intake than marco breakdown although I do feel limiting carbs is something which should be done once one gets to a certain caloric level (which varies individually).

Chris