PDA

View Full Version : Typical Decathlon Times/Distances?

KingJustin
06-08-2008, 10:13 AM
I'm trying to find a sport I can compete in other than CrossFit. I feel like my strength+conditioning levels are pretty good, and I have one more year of NCAA eligibility left. I was wondering what kind of times/distances I might need to be competitive at a Decathlon... I'll be going to a D3 school, so maybe if you could get a rough estimate on both D1 and D3 for an average competitor...

Here are the events:
* 100 meters
* 110 meter high hurdles
* 1500 meters
* 400 meters
* Long Jump
* High Jump
* Pole Vault
* Shot Put
* Discus
* Javelin

I'm 6'4, and I think by the end of the summer I should have a 300lb power clean and a ~5:30 mile (and I run very infrequently, so I think this can drop a bit). I'm pretty well-rounded in general, too, so I think I have a good base. I haven't done many of these events, but I figure if I train for 8 months I could get decent on them.. So, any ideas?

Oh, and also I wonder if it's possible for law school students to compete in NCAA athletics?

ZenMonkey
06-08-2008, 03:06 PM
I'm trying to find a sport I can compete in other than CrossFit. I feel like my strength+conditioning levels are pretty good, and I have one more year of NCAA eligibility left. I was wondering what kind of times/distances I might need to be competitive at a Decathlon... I'll be going to a D3 school, so maybe if you could get a rough estimate on both D1 and D3 for an average competitor...

Here are the events:
* 100 meters
* 110 meter high hurdles
* 1500 meters
* 400 meters
* Long Jump
* High Jump
* Pole Vault
* Shot Put
* Discus
* Javelin

I'm 6'4, and I think by the end of the summer I should have a 300lb power clean and a ~5:30 mile (and I run very infrequently, so I think this can drop a bit). I'm pretty well-rounded in general, too, so I think I have a good base. I haven't done many of these events, but I figure if I train for 8 months I could get decent on them.. So, any ideas?

Oh, and also I wonder if it's possible for law school students to compete in NCAA athletics?

for Club Rugby for SMU it is 5 years of college starting when you begin college.

teenathlete3030
06-18-2008, 10:04 PM
I'm just looking up the results from NCAA Div III national championships in Oshkosh so I can come up with some rough estimates.

100- 11 second range
LJ- over 20, some as high as 23 or as low as 19
Shot put- upper 30s
High jump- some are under 6', but the better guys are mid 6' range
400- low to mid 50s
110H- 15 second range is solid
Discus- Low 100 foot range
Pole Vault- 13 foot is roughly median
Javelin- mid 100s
1500- 4:30 to 5:00

Keep in mind that decathaletes usually fall into two categories: some that are primarily jumpers, and have weak throws... and others who have awesome throws, but sub-par jumps. The points even out either way. It's rare for someone to dominate in every event, but those who do are probably higher than D3.

Guido
06-19-2008, 08:09 AM
Do you know how to pole vault, Justin? That's not a skill that would be easily learned in a single year.

What teen athlete came up with is about right. As you can see it's pretty damn competitive. Div. 1 times/distances/heights are going to be even a bit better.

teenathlete3030
06-19-2008, 11:28 AM
About the strength requirements, a 300 pound power clean is pretty good, especially at 6'4. My coach was D3 decathalon national champ way back in the day and he could clean 330 at about 5'11.

If you decide to go through with this, the skill work will be the hardest part. My guess is that the pole vault, hurdles, and high jump will be the hardest. You height gives you a big advantage in all three of those, however. If you get a coach that doesn't do the best job of teaching the events (which is possible in D3), get video, and post it on-line for others to critique. There are many great track websites with good coaches on them that are willing to help.

KingJustin
06-19-2008, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the help guys.

I actually found Emory's (where I'll be going) track & field results and I looked them over for awhile. Their throwers suck! So, now I'm deciding between working on the Decathalon or working on the throwing events. I can definitely be the #1 thrower, but I'd hate for all my conditioning work to be a total waste. I'm moving to Atlanta July 15 so I guess I'll ask the coaching staff which route I should take. I'm sure I'll ask a bunch of stupid questions on here later on!

p.s. You're right about pole vault. That **** looks scary as hell! I'm planning on just carrying my pole as I do a high jump over the bar ... is that allowed?
(and yeah, hurdles and high jump will be tough too)

As far as the non-throwing events, I think the best thing I'll be able to do is work really hard on my speed. AFAIK, I run a slow 100m dash. If I could drop 1.5 seconds or so off my time, I'm positive that my mile, 400m and 800m time would drop a lot as well, because it would be so much less exhausting to keep a fast pace if it's 80% of my "max" instead of 90%.

Guido
06-20-2008, 01:08 PM

I actually found Emory's (where I'll be going) track & field results and I looked them over for awhile. Their throwers suck! So, now I'm deciding between working on the Decathalon or working on the throwing events. I can definitely be the #1 thrower, but I'd hate for all my conditioning work to be a total waste. I'm moving to Atlanta July 15 so I guess I'll ask the coaching staff which route I should take. I'm sure I'll ask a bunch of stupid questions on here later on!

p.s. You're right about pole vault. That **** looks scary as hell! I'm planning on just carrying my pole as I do a high jump over the bar ... is that allowed?
(and yeah, hurdles and high jump will be tough too)

As far as the non-throwing events, I think the best thing I'll be able to do is work really hard on my speed. AFAIK, I run a slow 100m dash. If I could drop 1.5 seconds or so off my time, I'm positive that my mile, 400m and 800m time would drop a lot as well, because it would be so much less exhausting to keep a fast pace if it's 80% of my "max" instead of 90%.Sorry. If you want to compete in decathlon you're going to have to know how to pole vault correctly. They generally start with the bar at a minimum height and it's going to be much higher than you could high jump (at least 10-12 feet in a college meet).

Mike G
06-20-2008, 02:37 PM

What are their distances? Have you ever thrown before? I wouldn't say you're wasting your conditioning by throwing and it would be a lot easier to learn the throws than pole vaulting. Maybe you could run a medium distance event as well, 800m?

KingJustin
06-20-2008, 02:50 PM
Well, the best thrower at Emory is 39 ft for shot put. I am positive that I can beat that (got the tape measurer out yesterday and threw an 8kg kettlebell), and my goal is 45 feet as of right now. I'm built a lot better for discus, but I don't have anything that resembles one, so I have no idea how far I can throw it.

As far as the 800m, I think my conditioning is good right now, but not so good that I'll be competitive at moving 215 lbs faster than college athletes move 150 lbs... I figured I'd need all 10 events.

And yeah, I was joking about the pole vault comment.

Chubrock
06-20-2008, 03:29 PM
Look up some youtube videos of Eric Frasure. He was up at ECU while I was there. Dude is an insane thrower.

teenathlete3030
07-02-2008, 07:20 PM
I think I read somewhere that the majority of training for decathalon should be for hurdles, discus, and pole vault. The reason being, if you can hurdle, you are already taking care of the sprinting work. If you are a proficient pole vaulter, long jump won't be very hard to learn. And discus is an event where there's nothing else really like it, so you need to train specific for it. And obviously train in all weak areas.

If anyone was watching Olympic Trials, Bryan Clay finished the Dec. with over 8800 points!

I'm not really an expert on throws, but look at it this way. You have a pretty good build for decathlon (6'4 215). You could be a thrower, but like you said, all your conditioning would go to waste. Or you could do decathlon, where, with a bit of training, you'd probably be #1 at the school anyways, and still get to do all the throws.

In addition, you could always do decathlon and also enter the open throwing events on the side. Earn the school extra points.