PDA

View Full Version : Protein/Day

emjlr3
06-09-2008, 10:27 AM
does anyone actually have an article showing results supporting the need for 1.5 or even 2g protein/lb body weight (i am having trouble finding one)? it really just seems excessive to me, even for one trying to increase muscle mass

Holto
06-09-2008, 10:41 AM
www.pubmed.ca

scholar.google.com

Don't look for articles, look for actual studies.

emjlr3
06-09-2008, 11:56 AM
that what I meant - published research article in an acredited journal

did not know that google search engine existed, will check it out

emjlr3
06-10-2008, 07:07 AM
so from what research has to offer (what I could find of it), there seems to be a platue at around 1.6-1.8g/kg for weight lifters. Therefore, ppl eating 1.5-2g/lb are consuming way more protein then needed, IMO.

over 2 times that which is needed - or atleast, that which makes any significant difference

FireRescue
06-10-2008, 07:14 AM
so from what research has to offer (what I could find of it), there seems to be a platue at around 1.6-1.8g/kg for weight lifters. Therefore, ppl eating 1.5-2g/lb are consuming way more protein then needed, IMO.

over 2 times that which is needed - or atleast, that which makes any significant difference

Two things to keep in mind when looking at this research is are the suggestions for LBM or total body weight. Also what is the total macro breakdown in these studies?

I would agree that most people overeat, in regards to actually what is required, but IMO once you start talking about low carb diets then protein requrements change. Also everyone's body is a bit different in it's ability to process protein so some people can process a greater amount of protein per pound of LBM than others.

Notorious
06-10-2008, 07:34 AM
does anyone actually have an article showing results supporting the need for 1.5 or even 2g protein/lb body weight (i am having trouble finding one)? it really just seems excessive to me, even for one trying to increase muscle mass

I think that's why most people go with 1g/ lb. Much more manageable.

randommetalguy
06-13-2008, 08:18 AM
I think the 2-3g per pound is a rule for those who are like 230 lbs and have very little fat. They have to consume more protein if they want to increase in size.

Personally, I try to stay in the 1-1.5g per pound range.

AKMass
06-13-2008, 10:34 AM
I think the 2-3g per pound is a rule for those who are like 230 lbs and have very little fat. They have to consume more protein if they want to increase in size.

Personally, I try to stay in the 1-1.5g per pound range.

:withstupi:

emjlr3
06-13-2008, 12:46 PM
anything over 1 seems like its not worth it, no matter who you are - but thats just what the published reports say - you can have your own opinion

Holto
06-13-2008, 01:12 PM
The nice thing is there is no known detriment for going over. Another thing to consider is the phase you are in ie: bulking, and how hard you really train.

How many people think logging on to a board like this is obsessive? I can't even talk to the girls I hang with because they think I have an eating disorder.

So I'm saying the data is probably for average lifters, we are the elite.

LaBaron19
06-14-2008, 07:49 PM

hey would u mind posting a link to that article. im having problems finding specific in depth research on it too.

emjlr3
06-18-2008, 10:56 AM
http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/full/19/suppl_5/513S is the article I am refering to

pay close attention to this graph

http://www.jacn.org/content/vol19/issue90005/images/large/cq05t0321013.jpeg

the article has a lot of interesting things also - such as protein digestability - showing soy is just as good as egg whites

as well as tests involving increase protein synth and insulin repsonse based on post workout supplementation

very neat

Slim Schaedle
06-19-2008, 12:29 AM
Personally, there comes a point where I don't give a damn what a research paper or study says.

If I grow or recover better with 400 grams or protein as opposed to 225g, 200g, or less, I am sticking with 400, baring any physical complications.

The American Dietetic Association says a male needs only 60 grams/day.

My degree/program is accredited under the ADA, but do you think I am going to follow and base recommendations off this guideline?

PhilsterT
06-19-2008, 01:33 AM
The ADA is not trying to count for the 1% of powerlifters, either.

I try 1 gram for 1 lb.

Slim Schaedle
06-19-2008, 01:47 AM
The ADA is not trying to count for the 1% of powerlifters, either.

No kidding.

My point was that just because there is a guideline or a study, it doesn't always mean that is the best thing for an individual.

emjlr3
06-19-2008, 06:26 AM
obviously - there is always the minority - though that chances someone is one of the 1% slim - thus its a far better estimate then 1.5-2g/lb and a lot more realistic to achieve - plus its actually got scientific eveidence to back it up, as opposed to - "I think I added more mass this month then last month by upping my protein consumption - you should too"

The American Dietetic Association says a male needs only 60 grams/day.

which was on of the points of the article - to add evidence to the opinion that the number there is far too low for lifting individuals - which it proved

thewicked
06-19-2008, 12:58 PM
most people i'd suggest going 1gram per lb of bodyweight.. that's not alot of cals in a day..and if you're training HARD all the time then maybe bumping up to about 1.5 or so is fine as well.