PDA

View Full Version : Calorie intake

CJMAJOR
03-22-2002, 07:37 PM
How does a person determine how many calories he needs to build muscle without putting on a lot of excessive fat? I am still bulking up but I want to reduce the calories for summer. I dont want to cut but I want to still trim down a little. I am 5'11" 194 pds. Thanks for your help.

Jane
03-23-2002, 10:02 AM
go to a place like www.fitday.com and put in your height and weight. There are more accurate calculators based on body fat percentage as well (maybe someone could help me out with a link here). The calculator should tell you the amont of calories you need to maintain your weight. (That number will be composed of two things: your basal metabolic rate (BMR) and calories to acount for your daily activity expenditure). If you want to build muscle, you will need more calories than your body burns per day. For half a pound a week, add about 250 calories over your maintenance calories each day. If you want to lose fat, you'll need less calories than your maintenance calories. It is hard to build muscle and burn fat at the same time, unless you're a complete beginner.

Anthony
03-23-2002, 10:16 AM
A quick way to determine your BMR/AMR: http://www.thinrich.com/bmr.htm, but the most accurate way is to record everything you eat for 1 week - if you remain the same weight, that's your BMR/AMR.