PDA

View Full Version : Egg yoke?

godofthunder
06-11-2008, 05:36 AM
is it bad for you?

AKMass
06-11-2008, 06:50 AM
No, unless you have a specific condition. The yoLK contains about half the protein from the egg too, so eat up.

emjlr3
06-11-2008, 07:34 AM
that kind of cholesterol is never a good thing, especially from eggs

godofthunder
06-11-2008, 07:40 AM
so is this just a diffrence of opinnion or what?
iīm only eating 3-4 eggs a day max.

AKMass
06-11-2008, 07:46 AM
Do a search for "egg yolk" in this forum. Then you'll see why I'm right.

emjlr3
06-11-2008, 07:47 AM
in moderation yolks are not bad for you - 4/day may be pushing it, that is a lot of cholesterol, though this is coming form someone with a faimily history of high cholesterol and heart disease

mikesbytes
06-11-2008, 08:02 AM
If your concerned about the yolks, then take one whole egg and add as many egg whites as you require.

godofthunder
06-11-2008, 08:04 AM
Thatīs a good idea, the yoke is just so damn tasty :)

AKMass
06-11-2008, 10:35 AM
It's spelled y-o-l-k, fyi.

Reko
06-11-2008, 12:21 PM
If your concerned about the yolks, then take one whole egg and add as many egg whites as you require.

Thats what I do. Also helps with the color that way. The yolk has the fats and cholesterol, wheres as the whites are just protein (take a look at the nutriotion facts on the cartons of eggs vs egg whites next tiem you are at a grocery store).

WillNoble
06-11-2008, 01:17 PM
1 cup Egg Whites:

Calories 117
Calories from Fat 4
Total Fat 0.4g
Saturated Fat 0.0g
Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 403mg
Total Carbohydrates 1.8g
Sugars 1.7g
Protein 26.5g

1 Cup Whole Egg:

Calories 347
Calories from Fat 217
Total Fat 24.2g
Saturated Fat 7.5g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3.3g
Monounsaturated Fat 9.3g
Cholesterol 1028mg
Sodium 340mg
Total Carbohydrates 1.9g
Sugars 1.9
Protein 30.6

from another thread

Reko
06-11-2008, 06:06 PM
"Cholesterol 1028mg"

Yikes

emjlr3
06-11-2008, 08:05 PM
1 yolk is like 80% of your max chol. intake - not a good thing

Killa Kurt
06-11-2008, 08:21 PM
Everyone do your research on cholesterol before you start bashing eggs. This thread should be closed by a moderator before anyone else reads it.

emjlr3
06-11-2008, 08:28 PM
perhaps you could be so kind as to enlighten us from your obviously superior knowledge on the subject - isn't that what forums are all about?

Killa Kurt
06-11-2008, 08:59 PM
Google egg yolk, cholesterol, you'll see what I'm talking about........

Slim Schaedle
06-12-2008, 12:30 AM
"Cholesterol 1028mg"

Yikes

That listing is for a cup, which is roughly 5 whole eggs.

Slim Schaedle
06-12-2008, 12:40 AM
Everyone do your research on cholesterol before you start bashing eggs.

Agreed.

In short, high intakes of dietary cholesterol have highly variable effects in terms of actual changes in blood cholesterol. And most people show no effect.

Basically, you've got hyporesponders, whose plasma cholesterol is not effected by dietary cholesterol intake.

Then you've got hyperresponders, who have the apo-E4 allele and have poor rates of conversion of cholesterol to bile acids. This ends up causes rises in LDL.

With regards to eggs, changes in blood lipid levels tend to be more beneficial than negative.

Slim Schaedle
06-12-2008, 12:46 AM
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16340654?ordinalpos=43&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

1: Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2006 Jan;9(1):8-12.

Dietary cholesterol provided by eggs and plasma lipoproteins in healthy populations.

Fernandez ML.

Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of Connecticut, Storrs, Connecticut 06269, USA. maria-luz.fernandez@uconn.edu

PURPOSE OF REVIEW: Extensive research has not clearly established a link between egg consumption and risk for coronary heart disease. The effects of egg intake on plasma lipids and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) atherogenicity in healthy populations need to be addressed. RECENT FINDINGS: The lack of connection between heart disease and egg intake could partially be explained by the fact that dietary cholesterol increases the concentrations of both circulating LDL and high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol in those individuals who experience an increase in plasma cholesterol following egg consumption (hyperresponders). It is also important to note that 70% of the population experiences a mild increase or no alterations in plasma cholesterol concentrations when challenged with high amounts of dietary cholesterol (hyporesponders). Egg intake has been shown to promote the formation of large LDL, in addition to shifting individuals from the LDL pattern B to pattern A, which is less atherogenic. Eggs are also good sources of antioxidants known to protect the eye; therefore, increased plasma concentrations of lutein and zeaxanthin in individuals consuming eggs are also of interest, especially in those populations susceptible to developing macular degeneration and eye cataracts. SUMMARY: For these reasons, dietary recommendations aimed at restricting egg consumption should not be generalized to include all individuals. We need to acknowledge that diverse healthy populations experience no risk in developing coronary heart disease by increasing their intake of cholesterol but, in contrast, they may have multiple beneficial effects by the inclusion of eggs in their regular diet.

There are plenty more studies out there.

Exercise, clean diet, plenty of fiber, lots of eggs....you're good to go.

emjlr3
06-12-2008, 11:40 AM
ok so it has nothing to do with the fact that eggs are not bad - its the biology behind how ingested cholesterol works internally - which may hold true for other high chol. foods, interesting...

i'd like to read more on this

however,

dietary recommendations aimed at restricting egg consumption should not be generalized to include all individuals

this also means informing people that eggs are fine to consume in any quantity should also be avoided - as effects on individuals can differ greatly, from one end of the spectrum to the other

beyond that, they are still high in saturated fats - haven't yet heard a Pro-Sat. Fat argument

Slim Schaedle
06-12-2008, 01:35 PM
haven't yet heard a Pro-Sat. Fat argument
Saturated fat, cholesterol = natural production of testosterone.

Of the 5 grams of fat in one large egg, only 1.5 grams of that is saturated fat.

This comes out to 30%, which is not high.

This is actually right around the 33.3333% mark you want for the types of fat in a good diet.

33% Saturated
33% Mono
33% Poly

Slim Schaedle
06-12-2008, 01:38 PM
this also means informing people that eggs are fine to consume in any quantity should also be avoided - as effects on individuals can differ greatly, from one end of the spectrum to the other

People lift heavy weights.

Some (few out of the total number of heavy weightlifters) people injure themselves by doing this.

Should we not advise heavy weightlifting?

(this works on the premise that people are smart/take precautions with their weight training, just as one who eats alot of eggs for bodybuidling would engage in adequate physical activity..........both preventing the possible negative aspects experienced by the overwhelming minority of participants)

Reko
06-12-2008, 02:38 PM

I still stand by this as the way I will eat my eggs.

ProLogic
06-12-2008, 02:38 PM
egg yolk

FireRescue
06-12-2008, 08:50 PM
beyond that, they are still high in saturated fats - haven't yet heard a Pro-Sat. Fat argument

While I am not pro satty fats but the reading that I have been doing lately suggest that satty fats are not nearly as bad as we have been lead to believe.

Yes I am aware of some of the satty fat research but I would like to see a study on the impact of satty fats on a group of individuals following a keto diet. If is it out there someome please provide me a link because I would be very interested in reading the results.

Of the reading I have been doing lately I am of the opinion that the negative impact of satty fats is only brought on by a diet high in sugary and refined carbs.

ThomasG
06-12-2008, 11:27 PM
I dont think I could bring myself to throwing out the yolks either. Seems to wastefull.

bjohnso
06-13-2008, 07:17 AM
I dont think I could bring myself to throwing out the yolks either. Seems to wastefull.

It's too much trouble too.

emjlr3
06-13-2008, 07:46 AM
I still stand by this as the way I will eat my eggs.

i usually do 2 whole eggs + 8 or so whites too

While I am not pro satty fats but the reading that I have been doing lately suggest that satty fats are not nearly as bad as we have been lead to believe.

Yes I am aware of some of the satty fat research but I would like to see a study on the impact of satty fats on a group of individuals following a keto diet. If is it out there someome please provide me a link because I would be very interested in reading the results.

Of the reading I have been doing lately I am of the opinion that the negative impact of satty fats is only brought on by a diet high in sugary and refined carbs.

id like to read these articles, if you got them available

CosmicForce
09-13-2009, 11:02 PM
I want to start eating whole eggs, however this thread made me more confused about whether or not egg yolks are good or bad.

I used to eat at least 12 egg whites/day, however it is a pain in the butt to remove the yolk even when I make hard boiled eggs, cut them in half with a knife, and pop the yolk out.

Mercuryblade
09-14-2009, 11:11 AM
I want to start eating whole eggs, however this thread made me more confused about whether or not egg yolks are good or bad.

There is no easy answer to this.

There are huge variations within the population on cholestoral metabolism. Whether or not an egg yolk is "good" or "bad" is thus specific to your own body's chemistry.

CosmicForce
09-14-2009, 11:20 AM
There is no easy answer to this.

There are huge variations within the population on cholestoral metabolism. Whether or not an egg yolk is "good" or "bad" is thus specific to your own body's chemistry.I'm going to start eating whole eggs/yolks and the next time I have my lipid screens done I'll find out if yolks are good or bad for ME. That's the only way to find out.

bass slayer
09-14-2009, 11:28 AM
I usually use the 1 yolk to every 3 eggs ratio. I dont like yolk anyway, but im sure it has some healthy fats in it. I dont have any research behind my claim, its just what I do.

Wayward
09-16-2009, 08:21 PM
I usually just use one whole egg, and dump some egg beaters in for extra protein.

My wife eats that stuff anyway so we usually have plenty to spare... and honestly, it's not too bad. Saves me from having to go get eggs every few days, and also spares me the strange looks from the cashiers; I'm egging my muscles, not a house.

Couple dabs of Sriracha, and breakfast is served. :fart:

manowar669
09-17-2009, 07:28 AM
Find a farm stand, and eat farm fresh eggs from free roaming chickens. I'm not a hippie, but the eggs are much more nutritious, have better lipid profiles (Omega-3 fats, less sat fat), and they taste about 1000X better. Many times cheaper too, talk to the farmer, buy in bulk, and he might even throw in a fryer chicken.

CosmicForce
09-18-2009, 04:57 PM
I went to my PCP's office this week for a check up. I found out the results of my lipid screen from late July of 2009. My LDL is 70.

meno123
09-19-2009, 04:16 AM
no its not bad!!!
actuall, it is good and it helps a lot...
can't explain how and why but the result for taking egg yolks to me is very good and kept me in shape since i was 15...:hello::hello::hello: