PDA

View Full Version : Any Other Suggestions For Busting A Cutting Plateau...

Irish Pilot
06-11-2008, 06:27 PM
Down almost 30 pounds (~198 to 170) over the past three months with, happy to say, minimal strength loss. Definitely feeling better about how I look in the mirror, and I think Im only a few pounds away from single digit bodyfat (plan to do a bodpod again here at the end of June.

However over the past 2.5 weeks Ive plateau'd at 170...just out of nowhere. Every week....170, and nothing has changed in my routine (in fact I may be eating cleaner now lol.)

5'8 - 170lbs
~1800 clean cals a day (sometimes over, but no more than 2k)
200-250g of Protein a day from shakes and lean meats
Rest of calories made up from fruits, veggies, the occasional granola bar, etc.
Solid workout routine 5 days a week.

This past week I added HIIT and some jogging into my routine. Ive been doing HIIT after my workouts (usually workout somewhere between 5-8am.) nearly exact to MariAnne's article. Mines a 30min routine with a 5min warmup and 5min cooldown. I absolutely love it. Its fun, a great sweat, and goes by fast with good tunes. The speed changeovers keep your mind busy and you dont realize how quickly 30mins is gone. Ive probably been doing it too much at about 5 times a week. I also try and get in a small run-walk later towards the evening about 3 times a week. Again, probably too much but Im really starting to enjoy it (which is crazy cause Ive always HATED running.)

I may be doing way too much cardio now, but I figured if I did it for two weeks I could bust the plateau and get down towards 165 where I think I will want to start bulking (which Im hoping for by July 1). Ideally Id start bulking at 160, but we will see how I progress.

Since Ive just started the serious HIIT this week I really havent watched to see if Ive busted the plateau in the past few days...but Ive got fingers crossed. I also had a pretty clean refeed day today, the only "dirty" thing being my wifes Banana bread which is absolutely money. So no scale for me tomorrow lol.

Anyone else have any suggestions? I dont think a supplement is necessary since Im doing the Nitor thing.

Thanks!

Irish Pilot
06-12-2008, 04:04 PM
Nobody?

scission
06-13-2008, 01:25 PM
Nobody?

Are you sure you're counting every single calorie? I've been dropping weight nicely on 1800 cals. But I'm taller than you so.. maybe you need to drop to 1600.

Corey170
06-13-2008, 05:22 PM
dont eat mcdonalds

Unholy
06-13-2008, 05:31 PM
Count calories better. If you are not losing weight, cut cals some more.

Irish Pilot
06-13-2008, 07:18 PM
dont eat mcdonalds

Thanks. Havent had fast food of any kind in probably close to a year.

Irish Pilot
06-13-2008, 07:26 PM
Are you sure you're counting every single calorie? I've been dropping weight nicely on 1800 cals. But I'm taller than you so.. maybe you need to drop to 1600.

Im definately counting every calorie...in fact I usually over-add my calories every day if anything. If something is an x80 cals etc. I will just round up to the next hundred occasionally.

Id be hesitant to get my cals any lower. I know people have had success with the ~1500 cal mark, but it seems most of what I read says that that is getting near the unhealthy rhelm...weight loss or not. Ive been cutting for a few months now as mentioned and I dont want to mess too much with my metabolism. I had hoped some people would chime in with something different than the obvious answer of cutting down more calories or exercising more.

I could be, and usually am, very wrong on this though. I just have a feeling that lowering my cals even greater is not the right direction. I guess for now Ill continue with 2000cals and really work the HIIT hard as well as the weights and give 'er a little time.

Irish Pilot
06-13-2008, 08:07 PM
Count calories better. If you are not losing weight, cut cals some more.

Alright Ive been sitting here trying to figure out why you guys would say count calories better, and I figured the ~1800 thing tipped you off.

The reason I occasionally flex a little is because I fly for a living and occasionally have situations where I dont know when my next chance to have a meal is, so Ill have a slightly larger one before I hit the road. Like I said though...its always been under 2k, and usually I am over-estimating anyway so its probably still closer to 1800.

That being said, Id still like to find something other than reducing calories to push me over the edge. Tomorrow is my first weigh-in since Ive really kicked up the HIIT and running so hopefully I will see 16x tomorrow instead of 170. ;)

scission
06-16-2008, 02:58 PM
Im definately counting every calorie...in fact I usually over-add my calories every day if anything. If something is an x80 cals etc. I will just round up to the next hundred occasionally.

Id be hesitant to get my cals any lower. I know people have had success with the ~1500 cal mark, but it seems most of what I read says that that is getting near the unhealthy rhelm...weight loss or not. Ive been cutting for a few months now as mentioned and I dont want to mess too much with my metabolism. I had hoped some people would chime in with something different than the obvious answer of cutting down more calories or exercising more.

I could be, and usually am, very wrong on this though. I just have a feeling that lowering my cals even greater is not the right direction. I guess for now Ill continue with 2000cals and really work the HIIT hard as well as the weights and give 'er a little time.

Try this: Increase your cals to 2200-2400/day for a week to get your metabolism up. After one week of this, cut back down to 1800 and you should see results.

Holto
06-16-2008, 04:07 PM
and usually I am over-estimating anyway so its probably still closer to 1800.

Don't estimate. Count.

Irish Pilot
06-16-2008, 07:13 PM
Don't estimate. Count.

I agree, and Im now being strategically accurate, but for sake of argument, I wasnt estimating...I was rounding up. Bad choice of words on my part.

Irish Pilot
06-16-2008, 07:14 PM
Try this: Increase your cals to 2200-2400/day for a week to get your metabolism up. After one week of this, cut back down to 1800 and you should see results.

Thanks buddy, this is actually exactly what I am in the process of. ;) Heres to having fingers crossed lol.

Auburn
06-16-2008, 08:21 PM
Make sure to keep carb intake fairly high on the 1-2 weeks you take to eat back near maintenance.

Holto
06-17-2008, 01:14 PM
I agree, and Im now being strategically accurate, but for sake of argument, I wasnt estimating...I was rounding up. Bad choice of words on my part.

Still makes me think you're missing the point and the power of counting. When you can control your intake you control your body. You can't really do that when you're not counting accurately.

I've worked with a lot of people over the years on their diets, someone that is doing any rounding, up or down, is [in my experience] failing to accurately track their intake.

I cut down 83lbs continuously and never hit a plateau. I don't beleive they exist.

Irish Pilot
06-18-2008, 09:51 AM
Still makes me think you're missing the point and the power of counting. When you can control your intake you control your body. You can't really do that when you're not counting accurately.

I've worked with a lot of people over the years on their diets, someone that is doing any rounding, up or down, is [in my experience] failing to accurately track their intake.

I cut down 83lbs continuously and never hit a plateau. I don't beleive they exist.

Agreed, but honestly if I fluxuate between 100 cals +/-, I dont see that as the end of the world. I know many in the dieting world like to tout the exact number of calories they consume everyday...but I dont think a little flex is going to sink the diet. I dont know, maybe thats a bad attitude...but I dont think your body stresses over not being at exactly say 1800cals everyday assuming you are not a 250+/-.

I guess the point being, dont read too much into my "estimations". Im just trying to be honest so that I can get accurate answers. I dont think that eating exactly 1800 cals instead of 1735 one day and 1820 the next is somehow all of a sudden going to change everything in my metabolism. Most of the reason I round up is for little things like not knowing exactly if my cup of cooked brown rice is exactly a cup. Or for example, some of the chicken I eat is labeled nutritionally in grams when it comes to servings...so I have to approximate each piece appropriately.

Short story long, Im eating very clean with good amounts of protein, veggies, fruits, fats, carbs, etc. with a good lifting and cardio plan...and my weightloss has stopped with no other changes in lifestyle.

I decided this week to back off some of the cardio a little as I feel I have been over-exerting myself (starting to feel weak all day, cranky, etc...) and have added a few rest periods. For now Ill just stick with HIIT in the mornings 5x weekly and drop the evening runs.

We shall see. Thanks again for the replies.

Edit: You know what...maybe that is a bad attitude. Im an anal-retentive ass demanding accuracy in everything else in my life, why not my diet. From today forward Ill try to nail down exact calories. Hell...the whole point of this is elimination of factors slowing weightloss. Thanks again for the help.

thewicked
06-19-2008, 12:59 PM
you hit a plateau because you finally lost enough weight that your caloric intake matches your daily requirements so in order to keep losing..you have to cut out more cals. I'd suggest 300-500 to get the job going and not kill off everythign else in the process.

VikingWarlord
06-19-2008, 06:20 PM
Have you noticed body composition changes? Been taking pictures/measurements? Changes often happen that cause you to stay at the same weight but you can actually make radical changes in that period.

Also, if you've been cutting hard for 3 months, it's probably time for a break. Boost your calories by about 500 a day for like 2 weeks. Even if 1800 is your maintenance, at the end of 2 weeks you'd have put on 2 pounds. That's hardly worth caring about.

What kind of routine are you on training 5 days a week? It might be time to cut back a bit on both training and dieting.