PDA

View Full Version : Strange pain when doing barbell rows

Blayze
06-15-2008, 04:34 AM
Hey guys. I'm not too sure where this goes.

Whenever I do barbell rows I get a searing, burning type of pain on the left side of my lower back. It gets progressively more painful after each rep. I can only do around 5 before I have to drop it because it hurts so much. The pain goes away as soon as I put down the bar. The strange this is that I never get this kind of pain doing any other exercise, even dumbbell rows.

Anyone have any ideas on what this could be?

garjagan
06-15-2008, 05:44 AM
Barbell rows do put a lot of pressure on the back. If you're core isnt strong, or you have an underlying injury (which you perhaps arent aware of) - I'd stop. You should never lift through pain (real pain that is) anyway.

Doing one armed dumbell rows for your lats or rear delts (whatever you were doing) will be easier on your back, as you can put a knee and hand on the bench, taking the stress off your spine. Seek professional help and look at rehabing. It isnt necissarily just a back problem. Back pain can indicate all manner of things whcih are wrong with different parts of your body.

manofsteel99
06-15-2008, 08:05 AM
Do you wear a belt while doing them?

Blayze
06-15-2008, 08:13 AM
No. I'm pretty sure it's not an ab/lower back strength issue. It feels like a being stabbed with a burning knife. Has anyone else experienced this?

Travis Bell
06-15-2008, 10:18 AM
well that sounds like an injury

youngguns
06-15-2008, 10:43 AM
well that sounds like an injury

:withstupi: