PDA

View Full Version : trouble finding team/club

youngguns
06-15-2008, 10:09 AM
ive been searching for a team or club thats relatively close to gainesville, FL but cant seem to find anything. am i just SOL? or am i not looking in the right places? i would like to compete at my school on the weight lifting team, but would also like to keep my training going in the off season. i dont exactly have a coach, so im stuck watching youtube videos and taking advice on the forums (which has been very helpful btw). i just think i need some in person help to achieve higher PR's.

manofsteel99
06-15-2008, 10:11 AM
do you play football?

bigmoney
06-15-2008, 10:17 AM
http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/florida

youngguns
06-15-2008, 10:37 AM
do you play football?

no. im more of a wrestler.

youngguns
06-15-2008, 10:41 AM
http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/florida

thanks. while that is honestly exactly what i was asking for, im gonna have to say thats too far. at $4.10 a gallon, theres no way i could afford that, even for my honda civic.

joey54
06-15-2008, 11:25 AM
do you have like minded friends who you could train with together?

youngguns
06-15-2008, 11:49 AM
do you have like minded friends who you could train with together?

mmm, not so much, most of my friends would rather spend their time curling in the power rack, or getting high/drunk.

vdizenzo
06-15-2008, 11:57 AM
Send this over to Matt Rhodes at www.elitefts.com he'll try and help hook you up with someone.

youngguns
06-15-2008, 12:30 PM
where exactly on the site can i ask him? should i just send it to the contact area?

EDIT:wait, i think i found it.
btw, thanks for the help guys.

RhodeHouse
06-15-2008, 12:50 PM
thanks. while that is honestly exactly what i was asking for, im gonna have to say thats too far. at $4.10 a gallon, theres no way i could afford that, even for my honda civic.

I know gas is expensive, but you could go there 1-2x per month. Anything is better than nothing. It doesn't have to be an every workout thing. Figure out what's important to you. If it's related to money issues, there are ways to make more money, so that shouldn't be your issue.

youngguns
06-15-2008, 01:07 PM
very true, i'd just hate to think im paying 2 membership fees when i only visit one of the gyms 1-2x a month. i shot you a message on elitfts.com, go ahead and disregard it. thanks for the help.

nhlfan
06-15-2008, 02:03 PM
very true, i'd just hate to think im paying 2 membership fees when i only visit one of the gyms 1-2x a month. i shot you a message on elitfts.com, go ahead and disregard it. thanks for the help.

maybe you could pay a drop in fee for the gym you'd only be visiting once or twice. You might even be able to work something out with the owner :thumbup:

MightyMaus
06-16-2008, 08:36 AM
ive been searching for a team or club thats relatively close to gainesville, FL but cant seem to find anything. am i just SOL? or am i not looking in the right places? i would like to compete at my school on the weight lifting team, but would also like to keep my training going in the off season. i dont exactly have a coach, so im stuck watching youtube videos and taking advice on the forums (which has been very helpful btw). i just think i need some in person help to achieve higher PR's.

I have the same problem here in Northern Kentucky. Westside is up near Columbus, but that's the closest REAL gym I can find.

Anyone know any good REAL gyms in Cincinnati or Northern KY?

Dave Schwab
06-16-2008, 09:03 AM
Powerstation Gym is just north of Cincy in Middletown. They run the fall Pro-Am with Westside, so I would guess that they have at least a few powerlifters there. I believe AJ Roberts, who is a member of this site, is in KY as well, so you might want to get in touch with him and see if he knows of anything closer to you.

AJ Roberts
06-16-2008, 11:13 AM
I'm in Owensboro and have picked up a few trainer partners so far but am always looking for more. Also if your around the Louisville area then shoot Jason Adams an email - jason2000@insightbb.com He owns Confederate Barbell and has everything any lifter could want.