PDA

View Full Version : Board Training (where to start)

banger
06-15-2008, 03:01 PM
I've been a raw bencher my whole life, and doing sets of heavy triples has really helped my stamina and weight gains, but now I need to start working on my sticking point, and from what I read here it sounds like 3 or 4 boards would be the way to start.

My question is where to start based on where I am at? I'm doing workup sets to a max of paused triples at 310 right now, with a rep max of 330. Any advice on a routine to use that would focus on a sticking point about four to five inches off the chest (basically where the chest/lats are stopping and the transition to the triceps is taking over for me).

Thanks for any advice guys!

PeteTheGreek
06-15-2008, 03:11 PM
test

PeteTheGreek
06-15-2008, 03:12 PM
test again

PeteTheGreek
06-15-2008, 03:15 PM
3-4 boards will be too high if you're a raw bencher. Try 1-2 boards, floor presses, more speed work and lat/upper back work. I'm trying to link you to a good article but this site won't let me until I have 10 or more posts so you'll have to copy and paste the link:

elitefts.com/documents/raw_bench_pressing.htm

Brodiesel
06-15-2008, 08:16 PM
you seem to have figured out that your tri's are the weak link, maybe you should target them. I think 3 board presses would be good to get your tri's stronger perhaps someone more knowledgeable can help more.

banger
06-17-2008, 08:05 AM
Thanks guys. That'll give me something to work with. I'm looking forward to some getting some gains again!