PDA

View Full Version : Machine Squats

alex11012
06-16-2008, 05:10 AM
Are these safe. I have no other way of doing squats other than on the Smith. But I can really feel it straining my lower back. I haven't got an injury but am worried about the long term effects.

Jorge Sanchez
06-16-2008, 05:14 AM
Don't use the smith machine.

I find it hard to believe that your gym doesn't have a barbell you can use.

alex11012
06-16-2008, 06:42 AM
Don't use the smith machine.

I find it hard to believe that your gym doesn't have a barbell you can use.

It does but not anyone or a cage to spot me. I often train with a mate of mine but even then it is difficult to spot safely.

Travis Bell
06-16-2008, 08:16 AM
How to Squat on a Smith Machine

1) Don't

2)Repeat

haha I'm giving you a little bit of a hard time. Have you considered finding a new gym? If your gym doesn't have a power rack or squat stands, I guess you'll have to squat in the smith machine. Put your feet a little farther out in front of you though. You can't squat in a smith with the same form that you use with free weights

RedSpikeyThing
06-16-2008, 09:39 AM
front squats are a great alternative

alex11012
06-16-2008, 10:43 AM
How to Squat on a Smith Machine

1) Don't

2)Repeat

haha I'm giving you a little bit of a hard time. Have you considered finding a new gym? If your gym doesn't have a power rack or squat stands, I guess you'll have to squat in the smith machine. Put your feet a little farther out in front of you though. You can't squat in a smith with the same form that you use with free weights

OK thanks, I will try this. I also do not go down as low as a proper squat as there is too much strain on my back

front squats are a great alternative

Would this be a lot better/safer on the smith?

AJ Roberts
06-16-2008, 10:47 AM
OK thanks, I will try this. I also do not go down as low as a proper squat as there is too much strain on my back

Sounds like your technique is the problem not the movement. Try lightening the weight and focus on correct technique.

RedSpikeyThing
06-16-2008, 01:23 PM
Would this be a lot better/safer on the smith?

No, never use a smith machine. You do front squats by cleaning the weight to your shoulders and squatting. If you're going to miss the rep, dump the weight.

Travis Bell
06-16-2008, 01:33 PM
Sounds like your technique is the problem not the movement. Try lightening the weight and focus on correct technique.

I second that. If you have an injury or something, dont train around it by not going to depth. Let it heal and then get back to squatting