PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on my diet!!

TheGMan
06-16-2008, 07:07 AM
Hi All

This is my first post and i am a firm believer in that if you dont have your diet right you wont get anywhere so i thought i would post on here. This is a sample mon - friday diet and any thoughts both good and bad will be greatly appreciated.

Breakfast - Cereal or museli or porridge or 3 poached eggs
Snack 1 - Apple and banana
Lunch - Tin of tuna, leuttice, sweetcorn - SOme more fruit
Snack 2 - Pineapple, plumb maybe another aple
Dinner - VAried from stir fry chicken/beef, or loads of veg with mince beef, chilli flakes and tomato stir fry (main meals i am not too worried about as i get a wide and varied diet)
Snack 3 - if hungry - Another piece of fruit

Water - 5-6 pints a day

I normally train in between snack 2 and dinner for about an hour, i used to do a lot of runnig and have gone from nearly 15 stone to 13 stone 3 so weight scales wise i am happy but i still have this bit of flab i am trying to get rid off.

I have beeen doing a split of

Monday - Chest, Back Legs
Tuesday - Arms shoulders core
Wed - same as Monday
Thursday - Same as Tuesday
Friday - Same as Monday
Sat - Same as Tuesday
Sunday off

I will add 30 mins of cardio in between normally on the running machine or cross trainer doing interval training. CArdi has recently been 2/3 times a week.

Do you reckon i should up the cardio, longer time, more intense or get more squats done?/

Sorry if this post in in the wrong place, maybe i should have had 2 seperate posts, it is mainly for the diet i just thought i would add it all up here and see what you think.

I dont take any supplemets at the min, i have taken pure protein and creatine in the past but i havent taken them for a while?

Cheers everyone

Mike

AKMass
06-16-2008, 10:47 AM
Depending on how much you weigh, it looks like you might be coming up a little short on protein...What's your diet like on Saturday and Sunday by the way?

TheGMan
06-16-2008, 01:50 PM
HI, I weigh 185 pounds, on sat and sunday it goes something like this

Sat
Morning - breakfast
dinner - Prob butty/hot chicken/cheese or steak ad cheese or something like that
Tea - Anything i want -Sat is my blow out night

Sunday

Breakfast - Lean bacon, tomato and toast
Anything through the day - Still fairly healthy
Tea - sunday dinner

Sunday is my training day off.

Does anyone ever use protein bars, i have bought a few today to try them, i also have some pure protein powder but have not took it for a while.

AKMass
06-17-2008, 07:11 AM
Well you should be getting approximately 1 gram of protein per lb, so you'd want ~185 grams of protein. Let's look at your diet:

Breakfast: On your best day (consuming the most protein), you'll eat 3 eggs, each containing 17 grams protein, ~ 51 grams.
Snack 1: Protein negligible.
Lunch: Virtually the only source of protein here is the tuna, ~35 grams. Total so far, 86 grams.
Snack 2: No protein.
Dinner: Depends on your portion size...
Snack 3: No protein.

It looks like you eat meat with dinner, which is good, but unless you eat HUGE portions, there's no way you'll get 100 grams of protein(what you'd need to meet your daily requirement) in. I'd recommend switching one of your snacks with a protein shake.

I think if you've been losing fat on your current diet, you'll continue to do so, but you'll probably lose muscle too.

TheGMan
06-17-2008, 11:13 AM
Thank you, i have some pure protein powder and ill start having that in my last snack maybe as well as the fruit because sometimes it can taste crap and the fruit will take away the taste.

Today i mixed some of it with my fruit and made a smoothie but it wet so thick i couldnt get it out of the bottle!!

The protein i have will give me an extra 40g and i have some pretein bars that will give me an extra 32 g so that should do it.
CAn i just confirm on this i wont put weigt on!

If i look on the scales and it says 14/16/20 stone i dont care but i want to look better so trying to burn that last bit of fat!

Cheers again

Mike

TheGMan
06-18-2008, 03:44 AM
Would this be a better meal plan for me (185 pounds)

7:00 3 eggs (51 gramms of protein)
9:00 - Apple and banana - no protein
10:30 butty (wholemeal bun, leuttice and 6 slices of chicken) drink of whey half a normal amount - (20 g)
11:30 bit of fruit handfun of grapes and plum - no protein
12:30 Buty (wholemeal bun, leuttice and 6 slices of chicken) and drink of whey (the other half to make a full portion) - apple (20 g)
1:30 bit of fruit 2 oranges - no protein
2:30 tuna - (35 gramms)
3:30 protein bar - 12g (total
4:00 gym
5:30 dinner and pint of water Lean mince, sweetcorn, dolmio tomate sauce, wholemeal pasta chilli and black pepper, mushrooms, broccoli

137 g of protein plus dinner??

Or do i need an extra protein shake after gym say another 40g blast to bump up to 177g of protein??

AKMass
06-18-2008, 06:30 AM
Well that diet definitely looks a lot better in terms of protein intake, but I can't guarantee that you won't put weight on. If you eat less calories than "maintenance", you'll lose weight(which if you're working out and eating enough protein, should be fat). Eat more than maintenance, and you'll gain. "Maintenance" is the amount of calories it would take to keep you at your current weight.

TheGMan
06-18-2008, 07:07 AM
My exercise i feel i have got right and every few months i change it to stop bordom, so the exercise route i am confident with but i dont want to put weight on.

How do i know what my maintenance calories will be?

Really i would like to go just a little under mainteance and keep the protein in so then i should burn fat and gain muscle?(if i am thinking right that is)

Please tell me if i am deluded!!

I have about 10 weeks and i want to get rid of these love handles!!

I have been on a diet like this for a while now so my body is used to it and have been going the gym for a good few years so i am ready just need to get rid of that fat!! burn the fat feed the muscle as they say!!

AKMass
06-18-2008, 10:28 AM
You calculate maintenance by tracking your calories. www.fitday.com is a great website for that. Track for a week, and try to stay at the same daily intake. If your weight stays the same, you've found your maintenance level.

AKMass
06-19-2008, 06:08 AM
Dude I messed up BIG. 3 poached eggs only has ~19 grams of protein...fitday.com's default measurement was cups. Sorry bro.

TheGMan
06-19-2008, 06:41 AM
No problem buddy, i am going through the fit thing and trying to fill it in, the only problem is it has a lot of american foods on there and i am from the UK so i have to convert all ,my food into what the system understands, on quick look it looks like i am using about 2300 calories a day as a standard so i am thinking reduce this down to 2000 or just under, pack on the weights and get some heavy weights but lower sets and make sure i eat more protein than carbs and i will be laughing!!

I have found through that my diet consists of a lot of carbs, 2 pieces of bread every other day, fruit has added it up, i have brown wholemeal pasta some nights, i am finding it difficult to find cheaper foods that are packed full of protein for a reasonable cost?/

If anyone knows good foods to eat that are cheap (i dont mean dirt cheap but a chicken here is about 4 now for a medium size so about $8 and there is not a lot of chiken on it!!

AKMass
06-19-2008, 11:19 AM
Check out this thread: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=46565

TheGMan
06-20-2008, 01:01 AM
That is great thank you, ill do the same, stick it in the door of my cupboard and sneak extra meat into the trolley when i am shopping with the wife!!

nobby
06-20-2008, 07:30 AM
protien that wont fill you up and is easy to take to work etc is hard.
i have started to use tins of stewed steak, at between 99p and 1.20 a tin and with 90+g of protien per tin( dependant on brand, morrisons bein the best i have seen) i now have a tin of tuna for breakfast and split a tin of steak for morning and afternoon snack, with normal food and post workout shakes cheap protien can be done on about 4 a day...

TheGMan
06-23-2008, 07:33 AM
Yeah i have thoughtof that, ill have a look next time i am shopping, hasnt sewed steak got loads of fatin it though?/

Ill chekc it out, cheers.

I have been on this diet now for quite a whil,e if i were to start cutting what would you take out and how long should i stay on this for then cut etc, for example should i do a month on this and a month cutting??

I was thining of eating this for the cut:-

Breakfast - 3 eggs poached
Snack - apple
Dinner - Tin of tuna and sweetcorn - no mayonaise
Snack - orage or pack of grapes
Gym workout
Protein bar
Dinner - Chicken and jacket potato (a small one)

frank
06-23-2008, 08:25 AM
Yeah i have thoughtof that, ill have a look next time i am shopping, hasnt sewed steak got loads of fatin it though?/

Ill chekc it out, cheers.

I have been on this diet now for quite a whil,e if i were to start cutting what would you take out and how long should i stay on this for then cut etc, for example should i do a month on this and a month cutting??

I was thining of eating this for the cut:-

Breakfast - 3 eggs poached
Snack - apple
Dinner - Tin of tuna and sweetcorn - no mayonaise
Snack - orage or pack of grapes
Gym workout
Protein bar
Dinner - Chicken and jacket potato (a small one)

ok breakfast is about 18g of protein if they are large eggs, 24 if they are jumbo eggs, i guess by dinner you meant lunch---a tin of tuna is 32.5g of protein, not sure about the sweetcorn. a decent protein bar has 20g but you said earlier it has 12g...depending on how much chicken you eat it should range from 20-60g of protein...thats 128.5g at your best. I suggest that you have a whey shake post workout along with the bar, and maybe one pre workout to get your protein in. also, oats are great for fiber/complex carbs and you should try em pre/post workout.

Ramstein85
06-23-2008, 08:49 AM
Breakfast - Cereal or museli or porridge AND 3 poached eggs
Snack 1 - Apple and banana and Pint of Whole Milk/ SKimmed is you want less calories
Lunch - Tin of tuna, leuttice, sweetcorn - SOme more fruit (Make it two tins of tuna
Snack 2 - Pineapple, And 250g Cottage Cheese
Dinner - VAried from stir fry chicken/beef, or loads of veg with mince beef, chilli flakes and tomato stir fry (main meals i am not too worried about as i get a wide and varied diet)

Thats how i would do it if i were you, to up the protein intake. Just my two pence.

TheGMan
06-24-2008, 01:42 AM
Yeah i like the idea of that one but wont that be for maintenance or are you saying i should eat the below for a bulk. The below is more than i eat now so i am guessing for a bulk?

Snack 1 - Apple and banana and Pint of Whole Milk/ SKimmed is you want less calories
Lunch - Tin of tuna, leuttice, sweetcorn - SOme more fruit (Make it two tins of tuna
Snack 2 - Pineapple, And 250g Cottage Cheese

Then what about cutting ? Should i just take out say cereal, the miilk, only 1 tim on tuna and the cottage cheese??

Failed - Thank you for the info, i forgot to add i have been using a protein shake after my workouts, it is about 40g of protein. Should i still have all the protein on a cut?

Maintenance meals i am ok with, i have stayed like this for a obout 3 months, and with an increase in weights and cv i have lost a few pounds. I am just a bit confused on what is best re bulk and cut, can you say bulk for 2 months then cut for 2 months??

Is it best to cut first, as i have been on this diet for the past few months and i am used to it i want to lose a bit more body fat and reduce my bf down to about 10% so would it be best to cut now and up the weights and see how i go??

Cheers again for the info
Mike

TheGMan
06-27-2008, 01:54 AM
Bump

Has anyone ever cut on this type of diet, i have done fit day, am i best to take out caliories or take out the foods with most fat or keep some fat??

my cutting workout would be somethign like this:-

Snack 1 - banana

Lunch - (one) Tin of tuna, leuttice, sweetcorn - Orange or an Apple

Snack 2 - 100g Cottage Cheese or protein shake

Dinner - VAried from stir fry chicken/beef, or loads of veg with mince beef, chilli flakes and tomato stir fry (main meals i am not too worried about as i get a wide and varied diet) - cut out the fat everywhere i can

cheers guys

Mike

TheGMan
07-14-2008, 03:01 AM
Sorry cottage cheese is defainely a no no for me, it was foul.

Anyway i habve ran out of protine shakes and am just starting week 2 od WBB 1.1.

I am going to start a bit of a cut because i want to lose this mid drift then i can bulk again when i am happy.

So i have been eating this, too little or about right??

Snack 1 - banana

Lunch - (one) Tin of tuna, leuttice, sweetcorn

snack 2 - Orange or an Apple

Dinner - VAried from stir fry chicken/beef, or loads of veg with mince beef, chilli flakes and tomato stir fry (main meals i am not too worried about as i get a wide and varied diet) - cut out the fat everywhere i can

bearing in mind i was eating the above plus a protein shake, sometimes creatine and glucosomine, i would nomally have a bigger dinner as well??

Focused70
07-14-2008, 10:40 AM
quantities seem off, not to mention the amount of protein is lacking throughout the day.

you'll want to track your calories and adjust accordingly. try fitday for starters.