PDA

View Full Version : Oly Lifters

left hook
06-16-2008, 12:47 PM
Well I always lived by squat bench and deadlift but never had much interest in olympic lifts. But recently i've found myself researching it and watching countless videos of olympic lifting on youtube. I was wondering if a experienced olympic lifter could give me a run down of how to pair up olypmic lifts in a body part split or if i need to re design my whole routine. It already revovles around compound moves.
Mon-Chest
Tue-Back
Wed-Off
Thur-Shoulders
Friday-Leg

As long as I still get to do my main 3 compound moves I don't mind making a routine to focus on learning olympic lifts. I've tried to find a real coach near by but had no luck yet.

(Fuzzy where you at?)

JHarris
06-17-2008, 08:04 AM
Honestly, your best bet is to redesign your program. Olympic lifting doesn't fit well into a body-part split as it hits nearly everything. I'd recommend something like a 4 day split:

Day 1:
Snatch
Snatch pulls
Back Squats

Day 2:
C&J
clean pulls
Bench (if you have to)

Day 3:
Snatch
Cleans
RDLs

Day 4:
Snatch or clean pulls
Front Squats
Some Pressing exercise

Something like this is a fairly good intro program and still gets you your benching. It doesn't have any true deadlifts in it, but between pulls and the lifts themselves, you'll be taking a decent amount of stuff from the floor.

Guido
06-17-2008, 09:29 AM
Word.

Whatever you do you should include things like front squats, overhead squats, high pulls, power cleans, jerks from the rack, hang snatches, and drop snatches in addition to actually snatching and clean and jerking.

JHarris's suggestion for a routine looks like a pretty good one. I've recently gotten more into the olympic lifts, as well, and have started seeing an oly coach every Saturday. I'm definitely improving!

left hook
06-17-2008, 10:49 AM
Thanks everyone, I over looked them a while. But I been doing my research on them. Alot of the fighters at a gym I train at are re designing there weight regimens around olympic lifts and i'm getting tired of the body split routine. Now I just need to find a credible coach to tell me about how much form will suck at first and help me improve. The boxing/grappling coaches at my gym know about just that but with weights there a little off ( think typical high school football coach knowledge).

Guido
06-17-2008, 02:28 PM
DEFINITELY try to find a good coach in your area. Is there a weightlifting club near you? That would be your best bet. Where do you live?

left hook
06-17-2008, 03:38 PM
Wilson, NC. I train at a worlds gym currently. No bumper plates or areas for oly lifts really :(

Guido
06-18-2008, 07:46 AM
If you're willing to drive some, try here. Talk to Randy Long.

Raleigh: Capital Fitness, 509 W. North St. (S. Glenwood area). Phone 919-834-8400. Contact Randy Long, Reality Workouts. www.realityworkouts.com, Randy@realityworkouts.com, 919-553-8239, 919-389-3386. Capital Fitness has no platform, but has bumpers, and rubberized floor space for lifting.

left hook
06-18-2008, 11:21 AM
Nice. Raliegh is like 35 minutes for me so that's perfect. I'm off work the first week in july and making a trip to raliegh so i'm definatley looking into this. A 35 minute drive to train is worth it if it makes me a better athlete.