PDA

View Full Version : Carbs in Salad?

waly01
06-17-2008, 11:09 AM
I just started following a diet program that calls for cycles of 0-low carb eating. However, the author recomends eating things such as salads/vegetables.

I was under the impression that salad(lettuce) and other salad items/vegetables all had carbs in them. Is there a difference between lettuce carbs and bread carbs for example?

Also, does that then make fruit acceptable on this diet too? In other words, are fruit carbs similiar to carbs in vegetables?

bjohnso
06-18-2008, 07:15 AM
Lettuce has almost no calories or carbs. Here are nutrition facts for Romaine Lettuce:

http://www.thedailyplate.com/nutrition-calories/food/generic/lettuce-romaine

Here is an example of a fruit:

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1846/2

A banana has plenty of calories and carbs.

Do these salads consist of only lettuce?

waly01
06-18-2008, 07:53 AM
I know most salad items have a very small amount of calories but my concern is that when I eat salads at lunch, they are generally very large (in order to get full) so they may require more than one serving.

I generally get a salad with Romaine, Eggs(with yolk), chicken and red onion.

Now that I'm looking at your link, I guess they have very small amounts of carbs since, mushrooms for example contain 2.3 grams of carbs per cup and a salad prob only has 2-3 tablespoons.

markdk86
06-18-2008, 08:22 AM
You cannot avoid carbs, it is extremely difficult and narrows the foods you can eat to a handful. Most the the calories in vegetables come from the fiber (2.5ish/g fiber off the top of my head). Don't go nuts over it.

Torrok
06-18-2008, 10:23 AM
I just started following a diet program that calls for cycles of 0-low carb eating. However, the author recomends eating things such as salads/vegetables.

I was under the impression that salad(lettuce) and other salad items/vegetables all had carbs in them. Is there a difference between lettuce carbs and bread carbs for example?
Also, does that then make fruit acceptable on this diet too? In other words, are fruit carbs similiar to carbs in vegetables?

look up your monosaccharides, disacchardies and polysaccharides

your going to need carbs, getting rid of them is absolutely out of the question. its like replacing gas with water in a car and hoping for it to run as good.

bjohnso
06-18-2008, 02:16 PM

your going to need carbs, getting rid of them is absolutely out of the question. its like replacing gas with water in a car and hoping for it to run as good.

Getting rid of carbs is not out of the question. Of course, he won't be able to completely eliminate them - he'll still have trace carbs.

waly01
06-18-2008, 03:33 PM
I'm starting to see that its gonig to be very difficult to eliminate carbs (the diet only calls 0-low carbs for about 5 days as part of a cycle).

What effect does the fact that most of the carbs coming from dietary fibers have? Are they "better" carbs becuase of that?

teenathlete3030
06-18-2008, 04:11 PM
Fiber doesn't really count towards calories as I understand it. It just goes right through you. It makes you feel more full as well.

The other thing about salads is that many vegetables require a lot of energy to digest, therefore, they have a lower net calorie/carb count. I think some vegetables have negative values, meaning they require more calories to digest than you actually get from the food.

Torrok
06-18-2008, 04:26 PM
burn your sweet glycogen away and start feeding yourself upon your own muscle..

cphafner
06-18-2008, 04:49 PM
this might be helpful

http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article.do?site=MensHealth&channel=weight.loss&category=transform.2007&conitem=5d7d1d8690fd2110VgnVCM20000012281eac____&page=4#fat

Szust
06-18-2008, 05:14 PM
Carbs are good and delicious. :thumbup:

Slim Schaedle
06-19-2008, 12:09 AM

Not true at all.

Cutting carbs anywhere from zero-100 is extremely effective as a dieting technique.

One can remain very strong with plenty of endurance while doing so.

The comment about saccharides doesn't shed any light on the difference between carbs in lettuce and carbs in breads, although this knowledge would benefit the OP in general terms.

Slim Schaedle
06-19-2008, 12:14 AM
burn your sweet glycogen away and start feeding yourself upon your own muscle..

Still not necessarily true.

Slim Schaedle
06-19-2008, 12:17 AM
I'm starting to see that its gonig to be very difficult to eliminate carbs (the diet only calls 0-low carbs for about 5 days as part of a cycle).

Chicken, beef, fish, eggs, peanuts.....

Very easy to do.

Exactly what diet is this?

BFGUITAR
06-19-2008, 09:45 AM
The difference between 0 carbs a day and 20g of carbs a day isn't much. Just don't over do it.

Slim Schaedle
06-19-2008, 11:30 AM
The difference between 0 carbs a day and 20g of carbs a day isn't much. Just don't over do it.

Agreed.

Even going up to 50g, there is not going to be a big difference physiologically.

mickyjune26
06-19-2008, 11:45 AM
mmmmm.... a salad sounds good. I'm gonna go buy one. Probably put dressing on it because I'm a fatty.

markdk86
06-19-2008, 11:49 AM
Agreed.

Even going up to 50g, there is not going to be a big difference physiologically.

Very true. Below 50 a day will create a nice state of ketogenesis. Probably why I'm down 8 lbs in 4 days. Damn water weight :tuttut:

waly01
06-19-2008, 12:02 PM
I'm following Metobolic Surge. I have the online book at my home computer but I'm at work now so the authors name escapes me atht emoment.

My diet usually goes something like this:

1. Eggwhite omelete with turkey mushroom onions and mozeralla cheese(using spray instead of oil)
2. I'd been eating beef jerkey for a couple days, but the it's just so high in cholesterol and sodium that i switched over to celery

3. I get a salad (romaine, chicken, eggs, red onions) from one of those NYC make your salad places for lunch. Low-carb dressing. (they don't post their nutrition information and my guess is that the dressing prob has the majority of carbs I eat throughout the day.

(usually more snacking between 1-2 pm and 6pm when Im off work and getting to the gym)

4. Isopure 0 carb protein shake after the gym

5. Srambled eggbeaters with chedder cheese at around 830.

The program is desiged so that there is a 5 day period of low carbs to get your body used to burning fat. the 6th day is an all protein day, only portein to overload your body with protein. day 7 is an all fruit day to get your body craving protein since you overload it and then take it completly away and then the next 7 days are protein/carbs and low fat. This is when I usually lift the heaviest to try and build muscle while my cells are holding onto the protein and just a little bit longer/tighter. Last day has a cheat meal and he calls for this cycle to be repeated three times.

What do you guys think?