PDA

View Full Version : Missing a lift?

Hazerboy
06-18-2008, 09:24 PM
What do you guys do when you miss a lift in training?

I think one of my biggest problems with westside was that I would try and make too big of jumps from week to week on ME stuff. lately I've been doing a little better by making a solid PR before I move on to anything, but sometimes I still miss a lift even after adding only 5 lbs.

Take today for instance. High bar bottom position squats. My best is 355, which I got 3 or 4 weeks ago. Today I tried for 360 twice and bombed. What do you do when you're in a situation like this? Do you lower the weight and just hit a heavy single and call it quits? Or do you just stop and try and make the weight next time? I'm usually real pissed afterwards, I usually feel like the workout was kind of a waste.

-Trent

Sensei
06-18-2008, 09:29 PM
I usually get pissed and make it the next time... or not. If I'm thinking I need the work, I'll bump it down and hit a heavy triple. If not, I'll just call it a day w. that exercise.

Keith
06-18-2008, 09:34 PM
I get incredibly angry and it ruins my day, lol. If you've been stuck on it for a few weeks, I'd change the ME exercise if you're not already doing so.

Travis Bell
06-18-2008, 09:45 PM
Make sure you are rotating your ME exercises but I think you've found something, go for the small 5lb PR first. If you get that, then go bigger

The point I'm at now, I know what weight I should be hitting and I'll freaking sit there all day if I have to until I get it. I remember being the last one to leave Westside on Wednsday morning because I had done like 12 shirt sets til I made a lift off my chest. hahaha. Made for a looong drive home because I was so freakin tired but I made the PR. Taking video of your lifts makes a huge difference as well. Once you see what you're doing wrong, its much easier to concentrate on what you need to improve on.

BFGUITAR
06-18-2008, 11:12 PM
As a big man with a big belly said... progress is progress. Keep the PRs small, make sure you improve.

A big jump is ok, but make sure you hit it.

Eric Downey
06-18-2008, 11:15 PM
Missing a lift in training can put a damper on your day, but should be the end of it. If your doing brd presses and you miss like Travis said a 5 lbs PR its nothing to worry about b/c it was only brd presses. For me its how I missed it. Did I miss grove it, lose it some where, did I sleep good, did I take all my supps b4 training, did I eat like **** the day b4 and did I even eat b4 training and how long b4? You have to look at the whole pic. What stuff did you do b4 the main ME work? The only stuff I concern myself with in missing weight in the gym is the stuff I know I should get.

drew
06-19-2008, 06:15 AM
I try to plan my training so that I am fairly confident I won't miss. I set my goals for the day and try to hit them. If I feel any doubt, I won't take the lift and just bag it for the day. Say I'm going to do 3 boards, I want to hit 405 but 385 is really rough and I barely get it, I will call that my best for the day and worry about it the next time around. I get plenty of PRs and rarely miss by going about it this way.

thewicked
06-19-2008, 12:44 PM
i get pissed.. get my head right and give it another go! Usually if i misgroove something or mess up something I know i can correct I'll try again..if i miss an attempt then I'll back off a few lbs and leave on a good note to make sure it stays that way. Gotta keep yourself in just as much mentally as physically in this game.

Ben Moore
06-20-2008, 08:52 PM
You have to let it go. Also, there are times when missed lifts are ok, such as far out from a meet. The closer you get, the less you want to be missing lifts.

Travis Bell
06-20-2008, 09:06 PM
If I keep at it, I usually have a muuuch better training session the week after. If I give up and go home I end up picking up right where I left off. It does boil down to what works best for you though. For instance, last Friday I had an awful training session. I just could not get a quality rep in at 675 for the life of me. I completed all the reps, but they were awful. Finally got one after about 4 attempts at 675. I was dog tired. This week though I ended up doubling 635 very solidly which was a huge double PR. Sometimes ya just gotta keep after it

Ben Moore
06-20-2008, 09:10 PM
If I keep at it, I usually have a muuuch better training session the week after. If I give up and go home I end up picking up right where I left off. It does boil down to what works best for you though. For instance, last Friday I had an awful training session. I just could not get a quality rep in at 675 for the life of me. I completed all the reps, but they were awful. Finally got one after about 4 attempts at 675. I was dog tired. This week though I ended up doubling 635 very solidly which was a huge double PR. Sometimes ya just gotta keep after it

Very true, there is something to be said for persistance.