PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift, trouble locking out

BFGUITAR
06-19-2008, 10:08 AM
I realize that rackpulls are great for lock outs. Here is a video of m 405 deadlift. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZEPsUbTdgg

I hitched a bit when th bars were right above my knees. Does this mean I should do the rackpull slightly below the knees and work through it? Or start the pull right above the knee?

Travis Bell
06-19-2008, 10:34 AM
good mornings are good but yes, when doing rack pulls do them below the knee. Much higher than that and they lose their effectiveness. Try and get those hips a little lower at the beginning as well

youngguns
06-19-2008, 12:11 PM
do you have this problem when you pull conventially? i just checked out one of your guitar videos, btw. you're quite good.

PriestCometh
06-19-2008, 12:26 PM
I am not a great deadlifter, but if I get it above my knees I can lockout alot of weight.

I like doing rack pulls below the knees with bands.

AJ Roberts
06-19-2008, 12:33 PM
Rack pulls, goodmornings, straight leg deadlifts, and reverse hyper should fix your problem.

BFGUITAR
06-19-2008, 12:41 PM
Thanks guys but I just wanted to know about rackpull placement!

And thanks youngguns! I appreciate the comment. I havent pulled conventional in months, I will start doing so soon.

thewicked
06-19-2008, 12:41 PM
rack pulls right below the knee or mid shin and hammer away at them..

also doing band and chain work will help your lockouts ALOT!

Hazerboy
06-19-2008, 12:49 PM
Rack pulls will help a lot, and its good to work on your weaknesses, though keep in mind that sometimes you just need to get stronger all around! I have similar problems with bench.

Oh, and I checked out your guitar videos too. Solid stuff! I played violin for 7 years, so I know my way around a stringed instrument and I can recognized talent when I see it.

Whats your lifting and guitar experience, by the way? Its rare that I find another polymath :-p

jtteg_x
06-19-2008, 01:43 PM
i pull sumo and like to do my rack pulls where the bar is rubbing against my kneecap or slightly lower. one of my training partners has the most trouble above the knee so she does her rack pulls right above the kneecap. i think everyone is different imo. be sure to take form into factor

BFGUITAR
06-19-2008, 01:43 PM
Rack pulls will help a lot, and its good to work on your weaknesses, though keep in mind that sometimes you just need to get stronger all around! I have similar problems with bench.

Oh, and I checked out your guitar videos too. Solid stuff! I played violin for 7 years, so I know my way around a stringed instrument and I can recognized talent when I see it.

Whats your lifting and guitar experience, by the way? Its rare that I find another polymath :-p

Thanks! I have bee lifting for 2.5 years, starting from an absolute blob (literally) who has never ran a mile in his life. I have been playing guitar since I was 12, but classical guitar is pretty recent (since I was 17). I am 20 now.

SGT ROCK
06-19-2008, 03:10 PM
Racks are not as effective as placing the weights on a 4-5 inch piece of wood as the bar flexes this way, its a truer pull. Hammer your abs with weighted ab movements, and add in heavy pull throughs, GMS and 45 degree back raises.

Semper Fi

Jaybird88
06-19-2008, 03:14 PM
I would also recommend reverse band deads if you have or can gain access to a set of bands. I found that I began to rely on racks too much and thus neglected the first half of the pull. With reverse band deads, you are still working the whole movement with some focus put on the upper half. I understand getting bands isn't cheap or easy though, and racks are still a great movement!

Big_Byrd52
06-24-2008, 10:28 AM
Im suprised noone has mentioned technique issues. Ur shoulders appear to be way out over the bar at the beginning of the pull. u need to try to get the arm as close to st8 up and down as possible. play with foot and arm position till u find it.

secondly, u use mostly low back in the pull and ur legs are not activated. try bringing ur feet in so u can use more leg drive off the floor. also keep upper back lock locked in place and dont let hips raise first.

lastly, it appears as tho ur hands are catching on ur thighs. i think bringing ur feet in some will help with also.

Lones Green
06-24-2008, 01:22 PM
Im suprised noone has mentioned technique issues. Ur shoulders appear to be way out over the bar at the beginning of the pull. u need to try to get the arm as close to st8 up and down as possible. play with foot and arm position till u find it.

secondly, u use mostly low back in the pull and ur legs are not activated. try bringing ur feet in so u can use more leg drive off the floor. also keep upper back lock locked in place and dont let hips raise first.

lastly, it appears as tho ur hands are catching on ur thighs. i think bringing ur feet in some will help with also.

good points, i was going to say something about the hips.

something else that might help you is to stay upright before the pull, get your air, and sink down, (while keeping everything upright and erect) grab the bar, and pull. this will allow you to get some more air in. just like sam is doing here:

EUafu1xuOS8

get your air, grab the bar, head up and lift it.

as for help with your rack pulls, like everyone else said, below the knee. they will teach you how to strain. however, louie prefers band pulls because they work the same part of the deadlift, and your form will be exactly like when you deadlift without the bands. the thing with rack pulls is, your form is never going to be the exact same, because you are starting in a different place.

hope that helped!!!

Lones Green
06-24-2008, 01:23 PM

oh, and CHANGE THAT SIGNATURE SAM!!!!!!!!!!!

:strong:

richwilliams77
06-24-2008, 09:38 PM
Try pulling against monster mini bands that will definately help your lockout and help with your speed from the floor. use a jump stretch board.
Big Rich Williams
6'4" 380
Bench: 595 raw
Deadlift: 800 raw
Squat: 755 raw
teamimpact.com
atlargenutrition true suppliments for true athletes