PDA

View Full Version : needing help in the pull...

thewicked
06-19-2008, 01:02 PM
hey guys..my lockout is strong.. right below my knees and over I'm consistently in the 7's but I'm having hell getting it started off the floor. What are a few ways to help that? I'm going to start pulling off a box more, etc but need a few words of wisdom lol

Jaybird88
06-19-2008, 03:11 PM
Pulling off a 4" platform has helped me LOADS, as I had the exact issues you are having. I just just stacked 4 plates, two to a stack side by side, and pulled off of them since my gym isn't the most well-equipped. You have the right idea, time to execute!

P.S.
Prepare for hell.

Travis Bell
06-19-2008, 03:47 PM
yeah I did deficit pulling yesterday. ouch

Dave Schwab
06-19-2008, 06:05 PM
Ultrawide deadlifts will also help by increasing hip strength

Chris Rodgers
06-19-2008, 06:13 PM
Are you stronger with sumo or conventional? Raw or suit?

Maybe I should do your routine and you should do mine. I can probably hammer another 120 lbs off the floor to my knees than I can lockout, lol.

Travis Bell
06-19-2008, 07:17 PM
well he's also a little over 6' if I'm not mistaken

thewicked
06-19-2008, 08:04 PM
yeah right at 6' and pulling high 600's conventional and only a hair over 6 sumo..and i only pull raw and will continue to do so until I set a few raw records in hte deadlift. :evillaugh:

Lones Green
06-19-2008, 09:07 PM
haha i was about to say...

PUT ON A SUIT

that'd be the easy way

but, just about the best thing will be pulls off a box. sink those hips down and pull back!

thewicked
06-19-2008, 09:19 PM
haha i was about to say...

PUT ON A SUIT

that'd be the easy way

but, just about the best thing will be pulls off a box. sink those hips down and pull back!

see and that's what gets me...i'm not sure how to do the whole *pull back* thing..everytime I try it I always fall over backwards.

Lones Green
06-20-2008, 03:54 AM
see and that's what gets me...i'm not sure how to do the whole *pull back* thing..everytime I try it I always fall over backwards.

this happens to me every now and then...i find it a lot easier to "pull back" when wearing briefs or a suit, because it gives me something to push against

when i tried the whole pull back thing awhile back i also fell back often. keep trying though, it should click for you.

SGT ROCK
06-20-2008, 02:17 PM
Deficit pulls and SLDL off a 3 inch box. Low box squats, gms, heavy abs, and 450 back raises, and PRACTICE, wear a tight Fusion suit as well.

Semper Fi

thewicked
06-20-2008, 03:18 PM
Thanks guys.. and no suits. I'm going raw dog until I break into the 700's in the low 200lb weight class. I did pulls off a 4" box today and loved it! Next week It'll be sldl's. I'm doing alot of hip work too and hamstring work since they've always been weak. My deadlifts have pretty much been all back since I've started.

MNRob
06-20-2008, 03:20 PM
Ima gonna get flamed for this, but hey it worked for me. The whole "on the heels" thing never made sense to me. Our feet have these funny little things called arches and my engineer training tells me that arches are for supporting a lot of weight over a span (ball to heel maybe??). So I stopped trying to lean back on my heels and concentrated on putting the weight evenly on the balls of my feet and my heels. I feel much more stable, and my ability to pull off the floor increased because I was now "standing up" with the weight instead of pulling it back and up, if that makes any sense.

This whole magical transformation involved me stepping away from the bar a bit more, bringing my chest up and hips down just a tad (remeber, this isn't a squat :clown:).

thewicked
06-20-2008, 03:22 PM
Ima gonna get flamed for this, but hey it worked for me. The whole "on the heels" thing never made sense to me. Our feet have these funny little things called arches and my engineer training tells me that arches are for supporting a lot of weight over a span (ball to heel maybe??). So I stopped trying to lean back on my heels and concentrated on putting the weight evenly on the balls of my feet and my heels. I feel much more stable, and my ability to pull off the floor increased because I was now "standing up" with the weight instead of pulling it back and up, if that makes any sense.

This whole magical transformation involved me stepping away from the bar a bit more, bringing my chest up and hips down just a tad (remeber, this isn't a squat :clown:).

see i'm with you 100% on this one of late. Today on the low pulls I made sure the bar was MUCH closer to my body. Normally it's about 4-6" away from my shins and today it was right up against them. It seems much easier since it was closer to my center mass and center of gravity. I tried leaning back abit though on the first one and damn near took flight HAHA!

MNRob
06-20-2008, 03:27 PM
see i'm with you 100% on this one of late. Today on the low pulls I made sure the bar was MUCH closer to my body. Normally it's about 4-6" away from my shins and today it was right up against them. It seems much easier since it was closer to my center mass and center of gravity. I tried leaning back abit though on the first one and damn near took flight HAHA!

I really think the whole problem with all of this is too much "you must set up this way only" kind of talk. Not everyone's body is the same, arm lenght, leg lenght, torso, etc you gotta find what is comfortable for you. I was setting up for a while with my shins right on the bar and thus making a blody mess of things (while cool, it didn't feel right), I stepped back a bit and now I can pull 405 for sets when it was my PR max only about 6 months ago, 500 is around the corner (not too shabby for only deadlifting for 4 months) and it was all in the setup.

Play with bro, find that comfort zone, remember how you set up, your waggle if you will, and you will be blowing through your goals in no time, now if you could just share a small percentage of that strength with me, that would be great!!! :ninja: