PDA

View Full Version : Box squat max vs normal max

BFGUITAR
06-19-2008, 04:38 PM
I went for 320 box squat not too long ago. My form was meh, I GMing a good portion of it. I did also a 315 normal squat (2 weeks earlier), much lower the parallel, with very good form. I dont know if I may be doing something wrong, but shouldnt my box squat be a lot higher than what I can normally do? Could it possibly be that because I dont have the tension it's harder to come back up?

sayagain
06-19-2008, 04:47 PM
I was always under the impression that if you are doing a box squat properly and sitting back onto the box and pausing on the box, that your max on the box squat would be less than a regular squat.

Jaybird88
06-19-2008, 05:09 PM
It would seem to me that in order to GM a box squat, you would have to lean forward a good bit. Are you rocking forward substantially when coming up off of the box? If so, I would think you may be using too much weight. Someone more experienced than me would do a much better job helping.

Sidior
06-19-2008, 08:20 PM
My max box squat is usually 40-60lbs below my max free squat given the same depth and equipment.

motoko013
06-19-2008, 08:34 PM
i think the pause on the box makes it harder to explode out of the hole, and thus max box squat would be lower

Lones Green
06-19-2008, 09:06 PM
My max box squat is usually 40-60lbs below my max free squat given the same depth and equipment.

:withstupi:

don't rock too much on that box!

emjlr3
06-19-2008, 09:09 PM
i didnt know you were supposed to rock back on teh boz, just simply touch and go

btw how high is your box?

Sidior
06-19-2008, 09:12 PM
i didnt know you were supposed to rock back on teh boz, just simply touch and go

btw how high is your box?

You are supposed to sit on the box and relax your hips, but keep everything else tight. Touch and go is a no no :tuttut:

Eric Downey
06-19-2008, 09:38 PM
I once could box squat more that I reg squated.

chris mason
06-19-2008, 10:35 PM
It really all depends. If you are primarily box squatting your regular squat will be less as you will weaken a bit in the hole. Box squatting done properly does break up the concentric/eccentric chain, but you still are able to use the box as a "base" upon which to produce force and thus aid out of the hole in my opinion.

You can see my point validated if all you did was box squat for 6 or more sessions and then try to max on a regular squat.

So, I suspect you have been doing more box than regular squatting BF?

Reko
06-19-2008, 11:26 PM
my 1" below parallel box squat is about 20# below my free squat max. I prefer lower box squats as they tend to carry over more to the free squat, and it seems to be pretty consistent (ie, hit a PR on the box, hit on in free)

BFGUITAR
06-20-2008, 12:01 AM
Wow thanks for the reply guys!

I am not rocking back enough, that may be the problem. I have been regular squatting A LOT more than box squats. This was my first time box squatting in months. I will have another go at it!

Guido
06-20-2008, 01:21 PM
I once could box squat more that I reg squated.Me, too. I was raw box squatting 455 below parallel when my raw regular squat was around 440. Don't know why.

mickyjune26
06-20-2008, 01:28 PM
It really all depends. If you are primarily box squatting your regular squat will be less as you will weaken a bit in the hole. Box squatting done properly does break up the concentric/eccentric chain, but you still are able to use the box as a "base" upon which to produce force and thus aid out of the hole in my opinion.

You can see my point validated if all you did was box squat for 6 or more sessions and then try to max on a regular squat.

So, I suspect you have been doing more box than regular squatting BF?

I would agree on the explosion out of the hole. I need to get back into regular squats as I'm afraid my box squat has crept higher than my reg...

Reko
06-20-2008, 01:31 PM
I find if I go just below parallel on the box this isnt much of an issue.

Also, the point isn't to rock back on the box, but to relax your hips (breaking up the concentric and eccentric) while keeping your knees out and back tight. In doing so it can cause to to make a motion like that, but if you are rocking for rocking's sake, that shouldn't be part of the lift.

sayagain
06-20-2008, 04:59 PM
I did box squats today for my ME squat exercise on a box that was just below parallel. My max was 30 lbs. less than what I maxed on regular squats last week.

Ben Moore
06-20-2008, 08:56 PM
My box is well below my free squat. I'm wierd though.

Travis Bell
06-20-2008, 09:01 PM
my box squat is actually a good bit above my free squat. When I free squat, because they are always raw (simply because I'm too lazy to wear gear) I tend to go alot deeper than I need to

HP666
06-20-2008, 09:51 PM
Did you GM it on the way down or after you were on the box? You need to remember that when your on the way down your ass should be the first thing that moves; back and down to the box. People who don't box squat a lot, or who haven't done it in a while have a tendency to go down first, and then back to the box. So you end up "feeling" for the box and it bends you forward more. Remember, ass first on the way down, head first on the way up. Also concentrate on keeping your back arched and really push out on your belt with your belly, even on the box. I see the tendency of people to hit the box and round, or loosen up just a bit like it's a rest period, even if for a brief second. Once you lose that tightness and that arch down there you're done. This stuff may or may not help you but I figured I'd throw it out there for ya.