PDA

View Full Version : Introducing a Strongman to the Fold!!!

chris mason
06-19-2008, 11:06 PM
I wanted to take a moment to introduce a new AtLarge athlete. His name is Bradford Dunn and he is a high level competitive strongman.

Brad is currently preparing for the America's Strongest Man to be held in San Diego (very soon). He is coming off 2 2nd place finishes (to Travis Ortmayer and Tom McClure) at the qualifiers for the ASM event.

Brad will bring a strongman's perspective to these forums and will be posting regularly as well as keeping a training log. Please welcome him and feel free to pick his brains for anything strength sports related.

Below are some links for more information on Brad:

http://americanstrongman.org/athletes/detail.asp?AthleteID=75

http://americanstrongman.org/articles/detail.asp?ArtID=284

http://americanstrongman.org/articles/detail.asp?ArtID=283

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJUGu1LwgrY

Travis Bell
06-20-2008, 04:42 AM
Good stuff!

brihead301
06-20-2008, 06:47 AM
Wow that even in the youtube video looks insanely hard. That's awesome.

Lones Green
06-20-2008, 06:53 AM
real strong guy!

AJ Roberts
06-20-2008, 06:56 AM
Welcome to the team Bradford!

BradDunn
06-20-2008, 07:51 AM
Hey Everyone! Thanks for welcoming me and thanks for the introduction, Chris.
I am honored to be a part the community and I am looking forward to (hopefully, haha!) being a positive addition to the forums.
As Chris mentioned, I have the America's Strongest Man competition right in front of me. I leave later today and we get started tomorrow at around 1pm or so in San Diego (Del Mar) and carrying through to Sunday night. If any of you are in that area please come out and check out the action and make sure to introduce yourselves. And on that note I live in Rock Hill, SC, just below Charlotte, NC, so if any of you are in the area get a hold of me if you're looking to get some training in or kick back with a cold beverage.
I will post a write up on the weekends happenings from my point of view and see if I can get the viewpoints of some of the other guys as well. Once I settle back into training next week I will start posting a Training Log.
If you guys have any questions, no matter how basic or complex, feel free to ask. I will do my best to answer them quickly and thoroughly. I will probably be asking you some questions from time to time as well.
Alright, I'm gonna have to log off for a bit but I will get back on later with a little insight into this weekends show. And so I don't forget to say this later, Best Wishes to Travis Ortmayer and all the Americans competing this weekend in New York!
In Strength,
Brad Dunn

chris mason
06-20-2008, 08:14 AM
Good luck to you Brad! Kick some ass!

Reko
06-20-2008, 10:59 AM
real strong guy!

Good guy too. He was the first judge I had in any strongman comp. It was out in Salina about this time last year actually.

Guido
06-20-2008, 01:19 PM
Welcome, Brad!

What other comps are you planning to do this year?

Lewy23
06-20-2008, 01:41 PM
Good luck!

Congrats bro, you are a beast, lookin foward to pickin your brain!

Lewy

BradDunn
06-20-2008, 01:46 PM
Alright guys, I'm gettin ready to head to the airport. I hope I can do ya proud out there at ASM. If I can really step up on the grip related events and go do what I know I am capable of on the others I should be lookin pretty good come Sunday night.
The first event is a Max Log so that usually bids well for me. But this group is full of some hellified overhead pressers, including Jason Kristal and Van Hatfield, the current and previous American record holders respectively. There could be as many seven athletes hitting 400lb and over logs on saturday. That is just crazy! No other country in the world can claim this!!
Hitting 400 on my second attempt is crucial, IMO. Then we will just have to see after that.
2nd event is Axle DL for reps; 600lbs, no straps. Now I know a 600 lb deadlift is not impressive in the ranks of professional strength sports but the fact that it is going to be done using a 2-2 1/4" solid axle just sucks in my opinion. This becomes a major grip event for me which makes things tough. I don't have the largest of hands and I have ruptured tendons in my left hand and two of my fingers (I know, stop whinin'!). I am working hard to improve in this area. This weekend I just have to suck it up!!
3rd event (and last for sat.) is Atlas Stone load for max. height. We will be using a 360 stone and it will be run in a 'last man standing' fashion.
Everyone will start at 54", then go to 60,62,64,66" and so on till no on is left. The platform we will be loading to is an adjustable Williams Strength platform and it does not have much of a 'lip' at the top so there isn't much to brace the stone against on the really high loads. This event should be awesome and fun to watch! Even though I am one of the shorter competitors, I expect a lot out of myself here. I will have to use every ounce of explosion and pop but I think I will be around for the big loads.
Sunday we do five events to wrap things up. i will run down these a little quicker.
1st event of the day: Overhead Medley - 6 implements. 60KG kettlebell, 250-275 keg, 275 block (this thing gets alot of guys), 320 axle, 340 log, Thomas Inch d-bell (172lbs?). I'll be honest with you, if I don't take this event I will be pissed! There is either a 90 sec or 2min time limit on this. Everything else is 60sec as far as I know.
2nd event is a Shield Carry, 402lbs, pick of the ground (low!) and 'sprint' 100ft for best time
3rd is Super Yoke; 942lbs (up from the original 930) for 80 ft.
4th is Farmers carry/Frame medley. 355 farmers for 60ft, then 600lb frame for 60 ft. The frame is lighter than usual but it has 2" handles which will really challenge grip.
Last but not least, Stone Load over bar for reps. 60 seconds to load a 380 stone over a 52" bar. even though it's 'only' 52", great extension is needed on each rep to get the stone to go over without coming back down. I am determined to have a great finish here.
It should be a fantastic show, with the top four finishers going to compete at the World's Strongest Nation competition in Kiev, Ukraine in August, and the overall winner (America's Strongest Man title holder) getting an immediate invite to the Arnold and Fortissimus '09.
Time to pick 'em: I would have to say the favorite going in is Tom McClure; what a beast! -and super nice guy as well. Next, if he comes in the way he should, is my good friend Van Hatfield. This could be his moment to let everyone know that his strongman career is alive and well. After that it's a mix of guys that could claim one of those four top spots. Myself, Marshall White, Jason Bergman, Jason Kristal, Nick Best, Nick Brugal, new pro John Conner, Ryan Bakke, anyone really!
It's gonna be a dog fight! And one of my favorite (and possibly over-used) sayings is "It ain't the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog!!
Well fella's, it's time for me to head out. Everyone enjoy thier weekends, be safe and train hard. If it crosses your mind say a prayer for me and wish me some extra luck. Either way let's pray that everyone competes at thier highest level and avoids injury. Thanks, and I will catch up with ya'll next week - Peace!

richwilliams77
06-20-2008, 07:57 PM
Hey everyone I train with Brad at the compound and he is the real deal. He should do well in San Diego. Hey Brad this is Big Rich you know I will be praying for you.

richwilliams77
06-20-2008, 07:59 PM
atlargenutrition love it

Ben Moore
06-20-2008, 08:46 PM
Haha, What's up Brad - good to have you here man. Good luck at ASM!

HP666
06-21-2008, 08:10 PM
WELCOME ABOARD BRADFORD!!! :strong:

BPM Osgood
06-22-2008, 09:10 AM
Welcome Brother!!!

thewicked
06-22-2008, 05:40 PM
very kickass! welcome to the team big guy!

NickW
06-23-2008, 12:51 PM
Didn't you use to room with Jeremy Hoornstra?

chris mason
06-23-2008, 09:50 PM
Didn't you use to room with Jeremy Hoornstra?

He did, yes.

BradDunn
06-24-2008, 04:10 PM
Alright guys, I'm back from San Diego and the 2008 ASM. Thanks again to everyone welcoming me to the board. Hey Ben - hope all is well with you and the family. And Rich, lookin forward to getting down to business and moving some heavy weight with you monsters down at the compound. Thank you for you prayers brother!
Yeah Nick, Jeremy and I were room mates and training partners down in Florida. We grew up in the same hometown. Awesome dude and a great friend!
Well, it was a hell of a competition over the weekend. It is awesome being out there with all those great athletes and being a fan at the same time. Speaking of the fans they were great. A lot of really positive interaction took place and they all went nuts many times over. Our sport definitely picked up some new followers and "the Wolverine " fan club got bigger, haha!

For me personally I just had to take the good with the bad, ending the weekend a disappointing 7th out of 15, although it was fairly tight points wise 4th thru 7th. I strained my left bicep on the stone load for height on the first day and had to wrap it up tight for the five events of day two. It slowed me down a little bit but no real excuse, I made some mistakes and miscalculations and came up short. I was definitely slower on the final event, the 380 stone load for reps, having to take the time to get under the stone and cradle it into my lap to keep as much strain as possible of that bicep. 6 reps won it and I got 4 going very slow. My goal coming into the weekend was 6-7 reps in the 60 seconds given there. The good news is I survived and as of today I am feeling pretty good, with only some minor soreness left in the arm. I will probably rest another day or so then get back at it. I am upping my protein and dietary fat intake (just downed some AtLarge fish oil caps and and Opticen shake) to speed up the recovery process.

Alright, I will have a full contest write up posted no later than tomorrow afternoon, breaking each event down one by one and adding as much additional perspective as possible.
Everyone have a great evening. Talk to you soon!

Ben Moore
06-24-2008, 08:17 PM
Good to hear you came out ok bud. Get healed up!

fatass
06-25-2008, 03:31 PM
Alright guys, I'm back from San Diego and the 2008 ASM. Thanks again to everyone welcoming me to the board. Hey Ben - hope all is well with you and the family. And Rich, lookin forward to getting down to business and moving some heavy weight with you monsters down at the compound. Thank you for you prayers brother!
Yeah Nick, Jeremy and I were room mates and training partners down in Florida. We grew up in the same hometown. Awesome dude and a great friend!
Well, it was a hell of a competition over the weekend. It is awesome being out there with all those great athletes and being a fan at the same time. Speaking of the fans they were great. A lot of really positive interaction took place and they all went nuts many times over. Our sport definitely picked up some new followers and "the Wolverine " fan club got bigger, haha!

For me personally I just had to take the good with the bad, ending the weekend a disappointing 7th out of 15, although it was fairly tight points wise 4th thru 7th. I strained my left bicep on the stone load for height on the first day and had to wrap it up tight for the five events of day two. It slowed me down a little bit but no real excuse, I made some mistakes and miscalculations and came up short. I was definitely slower on the final event, the 380 stone load for reps, having to take the time to get under the stone and cradle it into my lap to keep as much strain as possible of that bicep. 6 reps won it and I got 4 going very slow. My goal coming into the weekend was 6-7 reps in the 60 seconds given there. The good news is I survived and as of today I am feeling pretty good, with only some minor soreness left in the arm. I will probably rest another day or so then get back at it. I am upping my protein and dietary fat intake (just downed some AtLarge fish oil caps and and Opticen shake) to speed up the recovery process.

Alright, I will have a full contest write up posted no later than tomorrow afternoon, breaking each event down one by one and adding as much additional perspective as possible.
Everyone have a great evening. Talk to you soon!

still waiting home boy :thumbup:

BradDunn
06-26-2008, 05:34 PM
Sorry for the delay, I have been going back and forth with a connection issue...
2008 America's Strongest Man Championships
June 21-22, Del Mar, CA.

The following is my write-up detailing an event by event perspective from this past weekend's competition:

I will start off by saying what a great over-all weekend it was for Strongman. The atmosphere was intense, the fans were fired up, and Mike Johnston and The Kaz were rockin' the mic. I think one of the best quotes was when Van Hatfield tore a callouse on the axle deadlift and Kaz says "it looks like the iron snake has struck again". Well maybe you had to be there but it was some funny *****!
I can definitely say this: everybody gave blood, sweat, heart and soul over the course of the two day, eight event onslaught! I tip my hat to all my ''brothers in strength'. It was an honor, as usual, to be out there with all that were involved.

Saturday June 21st, Event 1) Max Log Press, 12" diameter steel log.

This was a much anticipated event with many huge, 400lb+ logs expected to be thrust overhead. There were 6-7 competitors, myself included, expecting to hit or ecplipse the 'four mark'. Warm-ups felt pretty good, but there were a few of us feeling a bit off with the heat (the sun was right in our faces) and the arena surface (packed dirt). Honestly, I just didn't feel like I had my legs under me. Either way there was something weird in the air as no one reached 400lbs. I backed off from opening with 380 and went with 370. I hit my opener solidly and decided to just go with 390 for my second attempt instead of jumping right to 400. The cleans were feeling easy but the press just wasn't there on this day. I cleaned 390 and missed two straight presses, re-cleaned and missed a third press. I could not believe it!
380 ended up winning the whole event, as Jason Kristal and Nick Brugal opened with this weight but also missed thier second attempts (400). Of course hindsight being 20/20 I kick myself for not opening with 380 as planned. I certainly would have hit it and tied for 1st but now its just a big useless 'if' that I can only hope to learn from. Alright, no more whining!

Event 2) 2" Axle Deadlift for reps, 600lbs

This is the event I was least looking forward to. My deadlift has been coming up but this was nothing more than a grip event to me. Nick Best smoked 15 reps and took 1st and four other competitors had 10 or more reps. I pulled 7 reps but had two taken away due to being warned about dropping the bar from the top of the pull too soon. This hurt me, as those two extra reps would have put me ahead of a couple guys and tied me with another. Once again, live and learn. I will continue training my grip and I expect a big improvement in this area by next year.

Event 3) 360lb Atlas Stone for Max Height

What a crazy event this turned out to be! The fans seemed to love it, especially as the platform hit 66" and up. I had been looking forward to this event even though it did not favor me in the height category. I felt I could just man up and explode with the stone in my lap to make the bigger heights. This is unfortunately where I strained my left bicep, though. I was grabbing the stone on the 60" attempt when I felt something go. From this point on I had to wrap it up tight each time and take my time getting the stone cradled and into my lap before proceeding with the load. I was very happy to just make it through the event, having to pick up the stone several more times. Myself, Jason Bergmann, and Nick Brugal all made it past 66" (the shortest dudes left), but just couldn't quite manage the 68" platform. I nearly had it loaded as it started to come back down. I thought it would be a good idea to put my forehead against the stone to help get it stopped and settled; it almoost worked, haha! But all I ended up with was blood running down my face and Mike Johnston making references to Rick "The Nature Boy" Flair. Okay, it was pretty damn cool!
Big Tom McClure ended up winning with a huge 72" load and let me tell you, the crowd went freakin' nuts!!

Day 1 came to a close with some very exciting and impressive moments, and I went back to the hotel with a bag of ice on my left bicep praying that I could gut it out through Sunday's 5 events and work my way into the top 4.

Guys, I have been having a problem with my internet connection. I am going to leave off here and come back to finish up with the final wrap-up. Later!