PDA

View Full Version : Oly lifting

TJM
06-23-2008, 09:16 AM
I want to start training the oly lifts but I don't know how oly lifters really train. I was wondering if someone could give me an idea of what a template looks like.

KingJustin
06-23-2008, 10:16 AM
I'm not an expert here, but one of my good friends is nationally competitive. I have a thread asking for advice as well. (I wouldn't follow my routine in that one -- I'm not doing pure oly lifting)

Exercises:
Front squat, overhead squat, romanian deadlifts (clean grip and snatch grip), deadlifts, olympic-style backsquats (bar higher, depth lower, stance closer, sit back less), clean pulls from various heights, high pulls from various heights, snatch pulls from various heights, overhead press, push jerk, push press, "scott press" (pressing from the bottom of an OHS), quick drops, maybe some jump shrugs, and of course clean/split jerk/snatch

You probably also want to do a lot of core work (abs, obliques, lower back). Really focus on stabilization exercises rather than concentric/eccentric movements.

My buddy mentioned that he does a lot of plyometrics, and he jump ropes a whole lot.

Conditioning is important, so get out and do some GPP stuff too. Flip tires, drag sleds, push cars, etc. When, in you're training, you're trying to snatch 200lbs 8 times, it's really exhausting. Your conditioning will need to be up to par or you'll miss lifts.

As far as routines... The two popular ones I know of are the Westside-style split and the Bulgarian split. There's plenty of other ways to go about training, though.