PDA

View Full Version : burgers to have sex with..yes, it really is that good.

borracho
06-23-2008, 12:08 PM
The Intro
So a few weeks back, a friend from high school invited myself and another friend from school to dine at his work, "Marcellos" in Albuquerque, NM. We were both in the mood for a hamburger, and had a choice of a "normal" burger for < $10, or a gourmet burger. Since this was a once-a-year sorta deal we decided to take him up on the suggestion and ordered the gourmet burger as our meal was free.
The Beef
The beef patty is made fromSnake River Farms' Kobe ground beef (http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/products/gourmet-hamburger.asp). Added to that I got bacon and mushrooms. After the first bite, my initial thought was that it was pretty good..not what I'd hoped for a $15+ burger...but it was ok. A lot had to do with the burger being over cooked by a brand new cook…that’s a no-no in my book. But, not being one to waste food (fatty)…I sucked it up and ate it anyway.

That being said, we had a bbq this past Saturday evening. The same friend got 5lbs of this beef from work, along with the special brioche buns that sets it apart from a typical burger/bun combo.

The Recipe
2.5lbs kobe beef
2-3 tablespoons red wine
2 tsp Worcestershire
Salt
Fresh minced garlic

Mix it all up in a bowl…then divide it into however big of patties you want. The way I figured it was 2.5lbs = 40oz..and there were 7 adults. So each adult got about 5oz patty.

Next, I got some good apple smoked bacon from whole foods (though trader joes has just as good of bacon for cheaper) and fried that up. Then came the portabella mushrooms. I sliced and sautéed to medium-large mushrooms in a couple tablespoons worth of butter along with some EVOO. After that, I sliced enough avocado to cover the patty and called it good.

Note: If you have access to the beef, or if you choose to order it online (best I’ve found is $75/10lbs online..though I cant find the link at the moment) just make sure your grill-skills are up to par, this isn’t beef ya wanna screw up.

My grill is set up with two racks, one directly above the flames and then one above that for “coasting”/slow cooking things. What I did was I placed the patties on the grill long enough to get the “grill marks” on both sides, and then let them “coast” on the upper rack. While the patties were on the upper rack, I spread some butter on the brioche buns (both inside and outside) and placed them on the grill (below the patties…making it even better as the juices dripped on to the toasting buns) and let them toast for ~5mins

And that’s pretty much it. I will take step by step pics next time.

Insane
06-23-2008, 12:21 PM
sounds good..... may try it sometime :)

Guido
06-23-2008, 12:21 PM
I vote this "Weirdest Title for a Thread, Ever".

On that note:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/06/Mcdonalds_Id_hit_it_ad.jpg

borracho
06-23-2008, 12:26 PM
I vote this "Weirdest Title for a Thread, Ever".

Eh, it gets the point across..no?
:)

growthrep
06-23-2008, 01:42 PM
Sounds delish!

biglift
06-23-2008, 01:45 PM
lol nice thread name....post a pic one day of your masterpiece burger...so i can drool over it ....

ArjunDhir
06-23-2008, 03:32 PM
Lol nice thread title.

WBBIRL
07-05-2008, 10:59 PM
Not to point out the obvious... but if you use the Ferrari of beef your going to end up with a good burger unless your culinary skills rival that of a 3 year old

sduquette
11-11-2008, 02:08 PM
I dunno, I work a few blocks from Griff's, hard pressed to believe anything is better than a Griff's burger and their little jalapeno munchers.

Though the home cooked version sounds pretty tasty. Sorry for the necro thread.