PDA

View Full Version : Counting Your Calories

M_T112
03-23-2002, 11:24 PM
Hey, I'm new to this thread, but newayz, I gotta a question i hafta ask. I'm 16 male, 5'8 126 pounds n ahve 8-9% bodyfat... I am azn n really athletic, enjoy working out, sleeping, video games... normal teen shtuff. But I got a problem, I am hyper over obsessive over my calories, It seems as thought at a certain point I just started to count my calories like nuts. Usually every week consists of between 1750-2050 calories per day n usually of which iz 20 gs of fat, every time i go over 2000 I grow over paranoid n take a look to make sure my 8 pack is still there (yes I know that is very dumb) i played on various skool sports teams such as Basketball, Volleyball, Golf, Track, Hockey (yet i quit them all this year) now i work out 3 times a week each time with 40 min cycling and another 30 min of vigorous cardio... on the other days i don't work out and if its a nice day i would go for another 40 minute bike ride... Yes that's my excersize plan now, and I seem to be getting cravings for sweets and stuff like that. My friends and parents keep on saying that I'm in such great shape why do I need to worry at this age? But I don't know, I am waay obsessive over fat and calories and stuff like dat. Should I be allowed to eat more fatty foods (i rarely do) and boost up my calories without gaining any fat? Cuz i really want to eat more food except I'm just very worried about the excess calories and stuff... Thx

notSoBig Guy
03-24-2002, 12:18 AM
You're really skinny, if i were you I'd try and gain weight cuz abs on someone very slim is not very impressive at all. Just my 2 cents.

Budiak
03-24-2002, 01:17 AM
azn

Second, if you're so skinny, definitely gain weight. Stop doing so much cardio immediately after working out. The time spent immediately after working out should be spent resting, especially if you are skinny and whatnot.

He's right, abs dont look impressive on really skinny people. They just look like...you're too skinny. Put some meat on them bones. So you'll be nice and plump for harvest.

They walk.

Leviathan
03-24-2002, 02:48 AM
It depends on what your goals are. If you would like to get bigger without putting on much fat, simply up your calories without significantly increasing your fat intake. For instance, I am on a bulking diet now that includes 3902 calories/day, but only 51 grams of fat/day. If you are slim, lifting, and doing some cardio don't worry about losing your ab definition. Your high metabolism will take care of you when you are young. In my opinion, 20 grams of fat/day is not nearly enough, and with the amount of calories you are consuming it seems like you are on a cutting diet.

Don't be afraid of a little bit of fat, that is why you cycle bulking and cutting (have you ever seen Lee Priest, Jay Cutler, etc. off-season?).

M_T112
03-24-2002, 10:06 PM
By The way, just in case you were wondering how i look, (cuz i mite sound like sum skinny freak) :P here is my picture... haha. I was also wondering, almost all the time i work out 3-4 times aweek, however, sometimes within a week some things happen and I'm too busy to workout so once in a while i only work out perhaps once or twice a week, but rarely tho... Is that alrite? My goal is just to keep the way I am, ripped and lean, yet strong at the same time (my max bench is 190-200) however, gaining a little bit of wait will be alrite, yet my current % of bodyfat is 8-9, and i would like to lower it to 6... is that possible with my current diet? of 1800-2050 calories? So the question for me is, should i stop counting calories? and whats the optimal calorie intake for my age of 16?

TreeTrunks
03-24-2002, 10:46 PM
dude you need to eat!!!! you look like a ripped up 9 year old boy. You need to gain some mass and eat!

M_T112
03-24-2002, 10:55 PM
ok... haha mabye dat wuzn't da greates pic... herez a newer on... unflexed tho

notSoBig Guy
03-24-2002, 11:01 PM
Dude, I'm not trying to insult you, but you need to fill out your body more. Those abs are not impressive at all, no chest, traps, delts, etc.

Lift, eat, sleep, and grow, well that's what I suggest. Plus you have a high metabolism so you won't gain much fat, just eat a lot of protein, kill the cardio, eat lots of carbs too and healthy fats and you'll fill out and look WAAAAAAAAYYY better than you do now, and you'll have the abs too, but on a more muscular body.

Leviathan
03-25-2002, 04:04 AM
Give him some credit fellas... he has some nice ab definition. However, I still think you need to bulk. The only way you would look impressive now is if you took your shirt off (because your pecs, delts, triceps, and biceps are nothing to call home about - just being honest here). If you bulk a bit, you can look impressive even with your shirt on.

Don't be afraid to put on a little fat... you can always cut later.

YatesNightBlade
03-25-2002, 05:13 AM
You need to eat, but then again .. it depends on your goals. To build solid mucsle .... you need to feed the machine.

IceRgrrl
03-25-2002, 06:37 AM
Why did you quit your sports? It seems a little odd that you would give up fun stuff so you could spend more time obsessing over calories and workouts...doesn't sound very healthy in the long run...:( You are still growing...have fun, be active, and eat more !

Tryska
03-25-2002, 06:45 AM
wait....why are you worried about your calories now?

right now your in the midst of a growth spurt....like yates said, you need to feed the machine. truth be told your looking a little too skinny as it is.

Tryska
03-25-2002, 06:46 AM
oh..and you need more fat in your diet, unless you want your testosterone to drop to non-existent levels.

Maki Riddington
03-25-2002, 08:46 AM
If this is who I think it is, I believe I told you the exact same thing all these knowledgable folks are explaining to you.

Don't worry! Your a growing teenager who should be more concerned about growth than asthetics right now. Fat is not evil, a lack of fat is and in your case you need some meat on those bones son. Add some muscle and you'll look and feel much better. Some fat might come along for the ride but that doesn't mean you'll lose your "eight pack', god forbid you only have a "six pack' in the end.

Alex.V
03-25-2002, 09:19 AM
This IS a sign of disordered eating... I'm wondering why nobody's said anything about that yet.

Tryska
03-25-2002, 09:22 AM
agreed.....i wanted a response to my first question before saying anything. but i definitely see what you see, b.

Praetorian
03-25-2002, 09:46 AM
what do you see, TRyska?

Tryska
03-25-2002, 09:50 AM
that m-t112 has an issue with disordered eating.

Time + Patience
03-25-2002, 01:30 PM
Here's a pic of me. And I hope this can show the difference of what the people are trying to get to you, the difference of being skinny with abs and having muscle with abs. I'm 18, but this pic is about a year old.

You asked how many calories a teen should be taking in, and personally I take in about 3,500-4,000 calories, and I've done that for probably a year or 2, on and off, but I've never lost my abs no matter what I've done, I've ate Wendy's for a few days straight and didn't get fatter at all!!!

We are teens bro, you can eat what you want, personally I'd add about 20-30 pounds if I were you, and then I'd worry about the rest, trust me girls like a built guy over a kid with abs.

I'd recommend checking out a few threads in this forum asking about bulking, there was just a good one and it shows a few people's diets and what they eat for bulking.

You only take in 20 grams of fat a day?? I take in like 80!! Come on you can bump up your calories.

Live on the wild side, and if you get to fat (which i highly doubt will happen), then you should very easily be able to lose the fat.

notSoBig Guy
03-25-2002, 05:55 PM
^^Sh*t man, you're looking DAMN good.

Budiak
03-25-2002, 08:58 PM
ok... haha mabye dat wuzn't da greates pic... herez a newer on... unflexed tho

WTF is this supposed to mean? I'm crazy, but you are just uncivilized.

But look on the bright side, pickins, at least you are totally zombie proof.

The End?

Edited upon the will of our lord and savior.

TreeTrunks
03-25-2002, 09:20 PM
eating disorder? Taking care of ones body is now considered an eatng disorder? Sounds kinda like why almost every kid in elementary/middle school has ADD.