PDA

View Full Version : woohoo passed my mile for the year!!!

frank
06-24-2008, 05:43 AM
closed

Plyo-Solidity
06-24-2008, 06:20 AM
Lol... i dont know you but that is a very slow mile. Is there a chance you are carrying some excess padding?

Reko
06-24-2008, 09:06 AM
after postponing my mile for about 6 months, my dad/teacher forced me to get up and run the mile.

i ran as fast as i could for 4 laps and got 10 minutes...

is it possible that i suck at cardio?

Yes.

schmitty199
06-24-2008, 09:51 AM
after postponing my mile for about 6 months, my dad/teacher forced me to get up and run the mile.

i ran as fast as i could for 4 laps and got 10 minutes...

is it possible that i suck at cardio?

Yes, your just out of shape.

frank
06-24-2008, 10:15 AM
i dont how i can be out of shape at...

5'8
around 140 lbs
around 8% bodyfat

any explanations?

MillerTime1485
06-24-2008, 10:20 AM
Being lean and low weight doesnt mean you're "in shape".. theres people who havent worked out a day in their life that have low body fat but that doesnt mean they can go run 5miles.

frank
06-24-2008, 12:16 PM
Being lean and low weight doesnt mean you're "in shape".. theres people who havent worked out a day in their life that have low body fat but that doesnt mean they can go run 5miles.

you guys are acting like i dont work out, my lungs give out way before my legs are tired

Reko
06-24-2008, 12:39 PM
^^HAHAHAHAHAHA

You haven't ran in months, that is why your time was crap.
Working out != conditioning.

frank
06-24-2008, 01:07 PM
^^HAHAHAHAHAHA

You haven't ran in months, that is why your time was crap.
Working out != conditioning.

but some kids in my school that never exercise get 6 minute miles...

including the 90 lb girls that make me look like a fat ****

kevowamo
06-24-2008, 01:55 PM
why do you ramble all the time

frank
06-24-2008, 02:00 PM
why do you ramble all the time

bored, i cant stand not working out every day of the week. im on madcows 5x5

biglift
06-24-2008, 02:01 PM
damn i got the same time as u and i weigh 230 lol...yeah your outta shape

frank
06-24-2008, 02:29 PM
damn i got the same time as u and i weigh 230 lol...yeah your outta shape

well i can sprint pretty fast but i get killed with the mile

fooz
06-24-2008, 02:37 PM
i'm a fast sprinter... my mile is prolly less then 7.. you just can't run. Eat healthier, don't smoke.

bigtooth
06-24-2008, 02:54 PM
I can walk a mile in < 12 minutes. You need to start running more, start slow, and short and increase as you can. You'll find its addictive.

frank
06-24-2008, 03:07 PM
i'm a fast sprinter... my mile is prolly less then 7.. you just can't run. Eat healthier, don't smoke.

never smoked i eat as healthy as a bodybuilder

Guido
06-24-2008, 03:15 PM
If you don't do any sort of cardio or conditioning work then I don't see how you can expect to runa decent mile time. It's just not going to happen.

10 minutes is a pretty terrible time, though. In high school I was about the same size as you (lighter actually) and ran a 6 minute mile even with limited running experience.

ryuage
06-24-2008, 10:52 PM
if your lungs give out way before your legs give out than you need to work on your cardiovascular fitness. Running 4 laps which I assume is .25 miles each gives you about a 6mph rate on a treadmill... I am sure most people here who weigh twice as much can get on a treadmill and crank out a mile in the same time. Some people just naturally are able to run at good paces without training or after long layoffs.

Szust
06-24-2008, 11:40 PM
I ran an 8 minute mile the other day not having done cardio for.... months, and I weigh 248 pounds. You have to work on that buddy.

lostboyrufio
06-26-2008, 10:14 AM
If everything you say about working out, diet, and your 8% body fat, the only way I could see you running a 10 minute mile is if you went all out the first lap and gassed yourself. Even people that lift and don't do cardio at your build with your 'diet and 8%' body fat should be able to run under a 10 minute mile. Either you have severe asthma or ran that mile wrong or are not telling us the truth.

Goodwinm
06-26-2008, 11:35 AM
Just run the mile more often and try and beat your previous time.

Ive done 2 miles in 15 minutes @ 220lbs bodyweight
Just keep it at.

Or Squat.

The choice is yours :)

markdk86
06-26-2008, 12:40 PM
You really are a failure.

Willie
07-04-2008, 09:45 AM
Cardiovascular fitness requires constant effort or it goes away. Quickly.

If you want to get better at the mile, you need to do short sprints to increase lung capacity, V02max, and help you learn to work through fatigue. Also, you'll need to jog farther than a mile to get used to being on your feet, and you'll need to actually run the mile every now and again to get a feel for the proper "effort pace."

I run a half-marathon much faster than I run the first half of a full marathon.

My "program" for sprinting is very "seat-of-the-pants." I call it "8 straights".
On a 1/4 track, I start with an easy two-lap jog.
Then, as I hit the first straight section, I sprint the straight as fast as I can, then slow down and jog/walk the curve, taking 30 seconds (not more), then sprint the straight, repeat until I have run "8 straights." I have experienced exercise-induced vomiting on the last two or three straights, because by the time I get to them, the 30 second rest is not enough to bring my heart rate back down.

Then a two lap cool-down jog. A slow jog. Think "airborne shuffle."

I do this once per week.
I also do hill repeats once a week. They are up-hill sprints, with a downhill jogs for a rest. Never on consecutive days.

If you try this, you'll need to adjust the number of "straights" and the rest periods to suit your level of fitness.
Good luck!

Goodwinm
07-11-2008, 02:38 AM

That really is just a mean thing to say.

The bleep test is a good way of improving your fitness.

But go with what you want. Do you want to be fit but a fit person who's legs are built for power and strength and short burts (powerlifting) or would you rather be a person who can run longer and have more muscular endurance but still be strong. (stearing more toward strongman).

The fact is you can still be fit and not be able to run too far. Like me. After 2 miles im killed.

frank
07-11-2008, 01:59 PM

yea if you sayed that to my face you fat prick, ide make sure youde never be able to say it again

deeder
07-11-2008, 02:07 PM
yea if you sayed that to my face you fat prick, ide make sure youde never be able to say it again

LOL! 5'8, 140lbs and making internet threats?!

:bang:

jed
07-11-2008, 02:46 PM
take a chill pill, im sure he was kidding. and he was probably making a crack at it because of your name, also.

i have nasty asthma, and i can run a mile in 8 minutes. i am not in very good running shape. keep running the mile, over and over again. youll definitely get better.

frank
07-11-2008, 08:00 PM
LOL! 5'8, 140lbs and making internet threats?!

:bang:

i train for boxing, you ever see a fight? i dont think a fat powerlifter would stand a rats ass againts anyone, even an amatuer

joey54
07-12-2008, 03:14 PM
oh my. anyway, my best timed mile was 5 minutes 25 seconds in college for football junior year. weighed about 205-210. got up to 240 by the next year and still ran a slow, pace mile in 6 and a 1/2 minutes. one needs to run to be good at it yes, but even though I haven't run distance in some time, I am pretty sure I can do a 7 minute mile and I am245 lbs now. As for talking about training boxing, doesn't one run a lot when they train boxing?

frank
07-12-2008, 04:01 PM
oh my. anyway, my best timed mile was 5 minutes 25 seconds in college for football junior year. weighed about 205-210. got up to 240 by the next year and still ran a slow, pace mile in 6 and a 1/2 minutes. one needs to run to be good at it yes, but even though I haven't run distance in some time, I am pretty sure I can do a 7 minute mile and I am245 lbs now. As for talking about training boxing, doesn't one run a lot when they train boxing?

atleast i dont, i just work on hand speed and mechanics

weasel
07-12-2008, 05:07 PM
I can average 7 minute or less per mile for 3 miles.....been training on my cardio pretty hard i'm getting pretty good I run 2.3 miles a day(yes wierd number but i like my running path). useually come clocking about 14:20-14:30ish on a daily basis. you weigh 140lbs and ran a 10minute mile? no offence but it's not to near where it should be. high school mile runners are anywhere from 4-5 minute mark..... Heck I was a Tackle on D and a gaurd on offence i could run around 6-7 minute mile or less weighing close to 200lbs. I now weigh 172-175 and have improved my running and lifting a ton not trying to dis your running but just keep at it and keep working on cardio.

(helpfull hint some people prefer a a more of a cross country style run where they go from one place to another personally my run takes me up around the hospital of our town and back which comes to 2.3miles. On a stationary treadmill or machine my running 2.3 miles my time is ALWAYS slower.May not be that way for everyone i just like being able to look and physically see where i'm goin and how much i got left it helps me know when i can kick it in.)

last year during track we had someone who ran the 800 (2 laps or half mile) in 1:57 he's a amazing running our whole track team was REALLY good we won state.......but our slowest person running the mile was under 5min mark heck the slowest thrower on the team he weighs a good 250-260+ got in under 8minutes.

joey54
07-12-2008, 05:16 PM
atleast i dont, i just work on hand speed and mechanics

so when someone can take a punch and you gas in about 30 seconds because you have no cardio, what are you going to do? Not trying to be a prick, I am serious. Boxing or any sort of combat sport goes hand in hand with being in somewhat good cardiovascular shape. Something for you to consider.