PDA

View Full Version : Getting Sponsored

Jaybird88
06-24-2008, 08:57 PM
Perhaps one of the many sponsored lifters we have around here could enlighten me on something I've wondered lately:

How does one go about getting sponsored?

I'm still relatively new to powerlifting, especially the business aspect. It seems all of the sponsored lifters I've seen have been in the upper weight classes, I assume due to the higher numbers? Maybe Chris can give a sponsor's perspective also?

Just as a note, I'm not asking for advice so that I can get sponsored. With all of the big guys joining the site, its just made me curious. I figure a first person perspective would be pretty interesting.

strongkid963
06-24-2008, 09:02 PM
make resume. send it to all companies(like in PL USA).get low body-fat. find a good personality. ask them to help you out. just do what big jt hall does (thanks sponsors, etc.)

nhlfan
06-24-2008, 09:04 PM
become an excellent lifter and become even more excellent at selling yourself

RhodeHouse
06-24-2008, 09:30 PM
make resume. send it to all companies(like in PL USA).get low body-fat. find a good personality. ask them to help you out. just do what big jt hall does (thanks sponsors, etc.)

Low bodyfat? Where'd you come up with that?

Getting sposored is about A LOT more than that. It's more about what you can do for your sponsor. Nobody gives out "free" stuff. There's always a price or a catch with a sponsorship.

Knowing how to sell yourself definately helps. Having a presence in whatever field your in to. For me, it's powerlifting. People know me for a few reasons.

1. I'm a decent lifter
2. I'm visible on the internet
3. I speak/write my mind, so it's always fun to read my stuff

I'm the Paris Hilton of powerlifting. I haven't really won anything or been around that long, but people know me. It helps that I'm a very attractive man with chisled abs and rock hard glutes.

bigbadwolfe
06-24-2008, 09:36 PM
I'm the Paris Hilton of powerlifting.

So Rhode you are telling us you are a Rich whore who has Herpes?
Hahahahaha!!!!!!

Jaybird88
06-24-2008, 09:39 PM
Thanks, Rhodes. Note to self: Glutes are key to success...

Is a lifter usually approached by a potential sponsor? Or is it just a matter of contacting a company and convincing them that being associated with you would get their product(s) some publicity?

chris mason
06-24-2008, 10:20 PM
Low bodyfat? Where'd you come up with that?

Getting sposored is about A LOT more than that. It's more about what you can do for your sponsor. Nobody gives out "free" stuff. There's always a price or a catch with a sponsorship.

Knowing how to sell yourself definately helps. Having a presence in whatever field your in to. For me, it's powerlifting. People know me for a few reasons.

1. I'm a decent lifter
2. I'm visible on the internet
3. I speak/write my mind, so it's always fun to read my stuff

I'm the Paris Hilton of powerlifting. I haven't really won anything or been around that long, but people know me. It helps that I'm a very attractive man with chisled abs and rock hard glutes.

Well, I more or less agree with what Rhodes put forth.

It all depends on the company, but what I look for are definitely #s 1 and 2 on his list. We are an online company so it makes sense for us to work with athletes who are ready, willing, and capable of posting on our site and others.

With that said, there are guys like Donnie Thompson, Chuck Vogelpohl, George Halbert and others who we will work with simply because they are the best. If they cannot post online their accomplishments alone qualify them.

For us, the BEST athletes to work with are those who actively try to promote our company and brand in a tactful fashion. They do things without having to be asked because they are looking out for us. They realize that as we grow so can our help to them.

Chris

Eric Downey
06-24-2008, 11:10 PM
Produce in meets and be a voice and make contacts when and where ever you can. Dont be scared to simply ask. The worse that can happen is a no or not at this time. Some people like to start with discounts rather than full blown sponsorship. Which is a start in the right direction and helps start a healthy relationship with the company.

Jaybird88
06-25-2008, 01:43 PM
Awesome guys. I appreciate the insight.

RhodeHouse
06-25-2008, 10:20 PM
So Rhode you are telling us you are a Rich whore who has Herpes?
Hahahahaha!!!!!!

Bingo, big fella. I am a whore, but no herpes, yet. A guy can hope, though.

bigbadwolfe
06-26-2008, 10:23 AM
Bingo, big fella. I am a whore, but no herpes, yet. A guy can hope, though.

Well heres to having Hope!!! Hahahaha!!!

:thumbup:

thewicked
06-26-2008, 11:00 AM
Well, I more or less agree with what Rhodes put forth.

It all depends on the company, but what I look for are definitely #s 1 and 2 on his list. We are an online company so it makes sense for us to work with athletes who are ready, willing, and capable of posting on our site and others.

With that said, there are guys like Donnie Thompson, Chuck Vogelpohl, George Halbert and others who we will work with simply because they are the best. If they cannot post online their accomplishments alone qualify them.

For us, the BEST athletes to work with are those who actively try to promote our company and brand in a tactful fashion. They do things without having to be asked because they are looking out for us. They realize that as we grow so can our help to them.

Chris

that pretty much sums it up. I've been sponsored in alot of different sports.. and it comes down to your marketability and what you can bring to the table for THEIR investment in you be it product or money. You must consider yourself a walking advertisment at all times.. because what you do both in the gym and outside of it reflects on that company.