PDA

View Full Version : New to Weight Lifting...Progress pics, Please Take a look

knicksfan20
06-25-2008, 12:35 AM
Aight, so i just started lifting weights in like..april

I was at about 155 or so...now im at around 170 (Also i'm about 6'1)

Changed up my diet (just started that this month) Although its not perfect...i get tons of protein, and i try to eat healthy..somtimes its hard cuz i live with my mom still and i dont choose dinner, and id be damned if imma starve..so ill eat fried chicken/pasta/pizza ect ect, never fastfood though..no soda, only water/milk/natural juice.

Also, if you would like to estimate my body fat % id apreciate that too. I workout from home, dont do too many excersises, mainly because i dont have alot to choose from.

Dumbell benchpress/Dumbell Incline (Do benchpress 2-3 times a week..incline 1)
Bar Curls
Squats/Calf raises (Do squats 2-3 times a week, calf raises 1)
I also lift the curl bar up to my chest, dunno what thats called

My cardio consists of...basketball..and thats it..i play usually 3-5 times a week minimum. (My legs arnt nothing special...figure no reason to really post them...Decent calfs...nothing on my quads)

Here is a link to photobucket..i just made an album..figured that would be easier?

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a150/finsfan84/Weight%20lifting%20month%201/

Feedback/tips/questions/comments/concerns all welcomed...thanks for your time!!

CastedBaran
06-25-2008, 01:45 AM
I work out at home too but dam you need to lift smart as well as eat smart. With adding in a good diet with a good lifting plan you will be able to add muscle a lot faster. Diet diet diet, its everything. Usually the effort in the lifting isn't the problem, its the diet. Why kick your own ass and not feed it properly for maximum growth? Your lifting regimen doesn't seem too effective either. Bench 2-3 times a week? bahh bench once a week. Hit it HARD and rest. Check out Built's BGB routine, its what I'm on.

http://builtblog.wikidbody.com/2007/06/11/baby-got-back/

and heres how i diet, i carb cycle

http://builtblog.wikidbody.com/2007/08/06/how-to-set-up-a-diet-basic-carb-cycling/

read read read, knowledge is power ;)

Plyo-Solidity
06-25-2008, 05:32 AM
I lost interest after you said aight.
But seriously you look pretty big for your height and weight. I would say that you have a lot of potential in BB for sure.

fooz
06-25-2008, 06:51 AM
You look good yes, but criticism: Your tricep should be twice the size of your bicep. Your bicep is overpowerring your Tri. You have chicken legs...? Gain like 40 lbs, it'll all come keep it up.

knicksfan20
06-25-2008, 12:32 PM
Any particular exercise i should be doing for my triceps? I only own dumbells/curl bar/long bar (dunno what its called...used to bench and squat and stuff)

I really didnt go into weight lifting with a plan...I really dont have much of a clue what im doing...i just do the excersises that i know.

I work out for about an hour to an hour and a half a day...doing 5 excersises or so...with 4 sets

My diet is pretty good, just dinner is the only question mark

Morning

5 egg whites ( 30 g of protein)
2 servings of oatmeal or Special K (10 grams of protein for oatmeal....14 grams for the cereal...add in the milk and thats about 24 grams) i drink skim
and a banana/apple/or orange...dunno their protein counts

hour and half later...protein shake...which is 31 grams of protein with the skim milk added

about an hour later.

Lunch

Tuna Fish sandwich...which is like...39 grams of protein including the bread
Banana/apple/orange

depending on what time it is...i might have a snack, i usually eat a serving+ of peanut butter in between, maybe ill make a pb and J sandwich.

Dinner..

I eat whatever my mom makes...we usually eat pretty decent...but we are italian so we eat ALOT of pasta and stuff like that

Yesturday we had Slices of turkey in some kinda crazy marinade (was bangin) grilled zuccini, and Seasoned patatoes (i forget what they are called, they were fried though i think)

day before we had Chicken parmasian, Spaghetti, italian bread

I will drink another shake about 2 hours after dinner (unless im lifting that day, then i will drink a shake about 45 mins before i lift...i lift at night)

then i will have a shake before i go to sleep, as well as another serving of peanut butter

also, i tend to drink alot of alchohal on the weekends, not really helping i guess.

knicksfan20
06-25-2008, 12:34 PM
I work out at home too but dam you need to lift smart as well as eat smart. With adding in a good diet with a good lifting plan you will be able to add muscle a lot faster. Diet diet diet, its everything. Usually the effort in the lifting isn't the problem, its the diet. Why kick your own ass and not feed it properly for maximum growth? Your lifting regimen doesn't seem too effective either. Bench 2-3 times a week? bahh bench once a week. Hit it HARD and rest. Check out Built's BGB routine, its what I'm on.

http://builtblog.wikidbody.com/2007/06/11/baby-got-back/

and heres how i diet, i carb cycle

http://builtblog.wikidbody.com/2007/08/06/how-to-set-up-a-diet-basic-carb-cycling/

read read read, knowledge is power ;)

Thanks for the advice, going ot read up now.... Only problem with diet, i live with my mom , which makes it a bit harder.

I do go out and i buy some of my own food, like egg whites, tuna fish, precooked chicken, protein shakes..ect ect

berfles
06-25-2008, 12:43 PM
Chest needs work.

CleverName
06-25-2008, 01:43 PM
You seem to be lacking a trapezius! Are you able to do any cleans? It looks kind of silly because your arms are quite big. You certainly focus a lot on biceps though. :X

knicksfan20
06-25-2008, 03:07 PM
To be honest Clever...i have no idea what a Trapezius is.(Edit...Trapezius = traps...im dumb) anways..just did some Uptight Rows jsut to do it (used the curling bar..im curling like .. 80lbs 10 reps 4 sets...and i was able to do like 4 Uptight rows..but those **** hurt...i should probably look to lower the weight im guessing?)

Im a noob when it comes to liftin and only do ilke...5-6 differnt excercises...pushups as well and pullups when i go to the park to play ball (ill do them on the jungle gym)

I'm thinking about getting a gym membership...but i know if i get one, i wont be commited to going, and i would rather work out at my house because its more convienent...I start my new job soon so i will be working throughout the day.

Funny thing is..i use to work out alot during HighSchool, for football (couldnt play cuz of grades) and did all types of differnt excersises...but cant remember what htey are called.

Maybe i should invenst in a machine that will allow me to do more excersises instead of the ones im doing.

If i remember correctly, cleans are when you take the bar....lift up to your chest then back down (without the press), hard to explain..but i remember what they are. And to answer your question, i cant do those in my home. Dont have really enough space...although i could try....I workout in the basement, tons of vents, so if i were to slam the weights on the ground...it would like..echo in the house

BFGUITAR
06-25-2008, 04:17 PM
All you need is a rack, and bench, a barbell, and 500 lbs of weights.

Squat, bench, deadlift

For back- Rows (different variations using the barbell), chinups/pull ups
For tris- Close grip bench, skull crushers, close pushups with weights on back
For bis- Curls

Some assistance work like traps and abs never hurt as well.
Look up ripptoe's starting strength and do that.

knicksfan20
06-25-2008, 05:11 PM
I dont have too much pounds of weights to be honest...

total..i have about 300 lbs including the 10's and 5's and stuff

But imma go out and get more stuff...If i am doing barbells...and doing 4 sets, 10 reps with 60 lbs in each hand...how much should i be able to bench press with 2 hands?

also, if anybody coudl estimate my body fat % how much would u think?

CastedBaran
06-25-2008, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the advice, going ot read up now.... Only problem with diet, i live with my mom , which makes it a bit harder.

I do go out and i buy some of my own food, like egg whites, tuna fish, precooked chicken, protein shakes..ect ect

I live with my parents too, I'm 17. Just talk to your mom about what your doing and tell her exactly what to buy. If money is the problem then there's no harm in shopping at costco or anywhere else thats cheap.

knicksfan20
06-25-2008, 06:43 PM
ya but my mom doesnt want to change up the entire familys diet just for me.

I live with 2 brothers and my stepfather too (nobody in my family is fat...everyone is at good weight...so its not like we eat bad every day and fill up on snacks) My mom has been getting some more healthy stuff for me though...we use to drink 2% milk...now she gets 1% (i usually drink Skim if i have it) Other day we had fried flounder....and she grilled mine instead...So im not totally on my own, i just cant ask her to change eveyrthing for me...when there are others in the house

berfles
06-25-2008, 07:32 PM
So... buy your own food and cook it or prepare it yourself?

BFGUITAR
06-25-2008, 10:16 PM
So eat what your mom cooks + more.

Or just ask your mom to cook more than what she already does.

knicksfan20
06-25-2008, 10:47 PM
So... buy your own food and cook it or prepare it yourself?

Um...kinda. I eat my own stuff for breakfast and lunch...and eat what my mom makes for dinner.

renfrizo
06-26-2008, 06:22 PM
just keep pushing your limits and you'll get where you wanna be