PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Weightlifting Questions

LevesqueIsKing
06-25-2008, 08:49 AM
Excuse my noobiness, I'm just finding a hard time finding the information that I want. This thread can be used to talk about and ask questions about anything to do with the forthcoming Olympics.

I don't know anything about Olympic Weightlifting other than it requires strength and speed, unlike most other forms. I just have a few broad questions about it. Does the US generally do good in olympic weightlifting? What (other) countries generally do well? Are their any big names of olympic weightlifters that I might know? I'm pretty sure I heard that the trials are already completed. When will they air?

I'm just trying to get into it this year so that I can better understand.

CleverName
06-25-2008, 01:53 PM
US doesn't do that great as far as I can tell. Greece and Bulgaria seem to be very good. Couple big names in Oly lifting are probably Hussein Rezazadeh, Pyrros Dimas, and Fuzzy.

Consider watching this series of videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klppfmDJNkI

fatass
06-25-2008, 03:14 PM
theres a book called Explosive Lifting for Sports google it and order it.... everything you might need to learn

LevesqueIsKing
06-25-2008, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the video, CleverName. How about this year in particular? Are we supposed to do well?

CleverName
06-25-2008, 07:38 PM
Don't know about this year; I don't have cable right now and I haven't been keeping up with the news... so no idea!

Lots of info here though... http://www.nbcolympics.com/weightlifting/index.html

Sean Hatley
06-25-2008, 07:45 PM
Excuse my noobiness, I'm just finding a hard time finding the information that I want. This thread can be used to talk about and ask questions about anything to do with the forthcoming Olympics.

I don't know anything about Olympic Weightlifting other than it requires strength and speed, unlike most other forms. I just have a few broad questions about it. Does the US generally do good in olympic weightlifting? What (other) countries generally do well? Are their any big names of olympic weightlifters that I might know? I'm pretty sure I heard that the trials are already completed. When will they air?

I'm just trying to get into it this year so that I can better understand.

Russians and Bulgarians usually dominate. The US hasent had a SHW gold medalist in Weightlifting since Paul Anderson in the 56' games.

biglift
06-25-2008, 07:55 PM
arent the Iranians pretty good too?

Jeremy Leonard
06-26-2008, 09:09 AM
The Bulgarians and Russians were the old powerhouses. They havent ben pumping great athletes in the past couple years. The Iranians are pretty good mainly Rezezedah( hope I spelled that right). There coach and most of the team were busted for banned substances awhile ago. Rezezedah was not.

The country you should look out for is China They are producing the best lightweights and most other classes right now. The have not been turning out really good eavyweights though.

The US will not have anyone near the podium on the mens team. Might get cheryl hayworth or natalie woolfolk close on the womens team.

Sean Hatley
06-27-2008, 08:14 PM
The Bulgarians and Russians were the old powerhouses. They havent ben pumping great athletes in the past couple years. The Iranians are pretty good mainly Rezezedah( hope I spelled that right). There coach and most of the team were busted for banned substances awhile ago. Rezezedah was not.

The country you should look out for is China They are producing the best lightweights and most other classes right now. The have not been turning out really good eavyweights though.

The US will not have anyone near the podium on the mens team. Might get cheryl hayworth or natalie woolfolk close on the womens team.

Yeah, but Rezzazedah is passed his prime. I doubt he will clean and jerk 600. I dont know if Misha Koklaev made it on the Russian team, but if he did he will be a high placer.

Auburn
06-28-2008, 08:27 AM
From my understanding, the U.S. has been neglecting the big strength lifts in favor of plentiful technique work for a while. It seems to have hurt us.

AJ_H
06-28-2008, 02:35 PM
i think its mainly countries in east europe and just the east generally (e.g. russia) that tend to do well. I think the turks do well, so do the greeks and the bulgarians and sum of the other people the guys here have mentioned. Look up pyrros dimas if ur interested.

AJ_H
06-28-2008, 02:36 PM
oh sorry, sum1 already mentioned pyrros dimas