PDA

View Full Version : Headache while on PSMF?

Lumiel
06-26-2008, 03:45 PM
I started a PSMF this week to drop about 20 lbs by July 18th. I'm being really religious about following the diet but I've noticed I get headaches around 2 or 3 in the afternoon. Is this typical? I'm on my fourth day of the diet.

I'm following Lyle McDonald's Rapid Fat Loss Handbook's PSMF. I'm a category 2 dieter, so I'm getting my 1.25 grams of protein per lb of Lean Body Mass. I'm taking my fish oil supplements as directed in the book - 10 g per day. I'm taking my multivitamin daily. I'm drinking enough water too.

Any ideas?

ryuage
06-26-2008, 03:56 PM
Perhaps you need to get accustomed to lowering your carbs? Have you worked with any type of low carb diet before?

Lumiel
06-26-2008, 03:59 PM
Yes, I did Atkins in the past with GREAT success, and I remember having a headache on one day right before my body switched into ketosis, but this has been a daily occurance and I am already in ketosis and have been for about two days now.

jay24k
06-26-2008, 04:31 PM
I dont know if it helps but anytime I went on a lower carb diet, I got headaches for about 4 to 5 days. I finally realized that even though the diet seemed to work, it just didn't work well with me in the long run. When I actually started a balanced diet and included exercise and weights, I never got those. Maybe your body is just fighting it. It probably needs more time to adjust to the rapid change you are going through.

Max Thunder
06-26-2008, 05:07 PM
Most people eat way too much carbs and proteins on low carb diets for ketoadaptation to occur.

Just looked at PSMF and it sounds bad, the fat is way too low. Your body will never adapt to ketones and will constantly rely on gluconeogenesis. Since your body depends much more on gluconeogenesis and thus on protein, how can such a diet be called protein-sparing... Less protein, more fat, and now you have a protein-sparing effect.

I often eat once a day, no carbs, and my physical performances (usually on an empty stomach in the morning) don't suffer. The whole carb=energy thing is a ****ing stupid myth.

So my advice is to cut down on protein and up the fat and voilą, no more headaches.

VikingWarlord
06-26-2008, 06:38 PM
Most people eat way too much carbs and proteins on low carb diets for ketoadaptation to occur.

Just looked at PSMF and it sounds bad, the fat is way too low. Your body will never adapt to ketones and will constantly rely on gluconeogenesis. Since your body depends much more on gluconeogenesis and thus on protein, how can such a diet be called protein-sparing... Less protein, more fat, and now you have a protein-sparing effect.

I often eat once a day, no carbs, and my physical performances (usually on an empty stomach in the morning) don't suffer. The whole carb=energy thing is a ****ing stupid myth.

So my advice is to cut down on protein and up the fat and voilą, no more headaches.

You should probably actually read the book.

markdk86
06-26-2008, 08:00 PM
You should probably actually read the book.

Beat me to it :(

Max Thunder
06-27-2008, 05:07 AM
Any diet that require the reading of a book ain't work following. A high fat medium protein diet (such as a meat and eggs diet) works so well for losing weight while maintaining muscle mass for most people.

JSully
06-27-2008, 08:59 AM
Any diet that require the reading of a book ain't work following. A high fat medium protein diet (such as a meat and eggs diet) works so well for losing weight while maintaining muscle mass for most people.

so... you just want someone to tell you how to do it.. that's real smart, I'll bet you're either fat, or you're naturally lean..

again, read the book.. that way you could actually give useful advice when it comes to low carb/low fat diets..

ketones are preferred over gluconeogenesis for up to 3 weeks provided protein intake his high since 58% of injested protein is broken down anyways. After 3 weeks the brain is deriving 75% of its energy from ketones and the muscles stop accepting ketones for energy as to provide more for the brain, hence why the PSMF is recommended for no more than 11 days with a refeed at the end..

To the OP:: I've experienced the same, the more often I do the PSMF (or anything low carb for that matter) the less amount of time I get headaches for. Try some Caffeine/Aspirin mix, that normally helps me. A fiber supplement normally helps too..

VikingWarlord
06-27-2008, 05:26 PM
PSMF is recommended for no more than 11 days with a refeed at the end..

In the interest of fairness, Lyle says 11 days for Cat 1. The fatter you are, the longer you can go, especially considering there are free meals and refeeds scheduled into the cat 2 and cat 3 plans.