PDA

View Full Version : carb loading question??

fatass
06-27-2008, 05:53 PM
whats everyones opinion on carb depleting and loading days before a powerlifting competition??
my contest is in about 9 weeks so its for future reference

say im taking in on average 600 grams of carbs per day currently (rough estimate)

The last week I been told to take it easy on the lifting (great time to practice technique) so say perhaps i decrease my carb intake to about 100-150 grams from Sunday until Thursday. Then on Friday having only about 50 grams of oatmeal in the morning. The weigh in will be @ 6 p.m. on Friday and the lifting will be the following morning. After weighing in having lots of slow complex carbs and in the morning having a big high carb breakfast with pancakes and the works. Im competing at 242 and i dont see myself struggling to make weight. Perhapses trying to lower weight as best as i can to increase my coefficient. However I have heard and read many benefits associated with carb loading in competition. Now as long as I keep my calories
within the same range as i currently am and replace the lost carb calories with proteins and fats... what do i expect to see as my final results?

1. Will I lose strength this way
2. Will my glucose overload be bull internet bull ****
3. Will I cut a few extra pounds of water weight and body fat this way without compromising strength.

Any comments or previous experiences???

JSully
06-27-2008, 06:03 PM
if done correctly, 1 and 3 are correct...

it would depend on how much LBM you're carrying as far as how many carbs would need to be consumed. If you are interested, I would suggest to try it out in about 3 weeks to see what happens. You can keep training hard up until 3-2 weeks out from the contest and you're 9 weeks out right now. Give it a shot in about 3 weeks to see what happens and give you some experience to play with when the actual competition comes around. If you don't like how it went down in 3 weeks, don't do it for the contest.

PERSONALLY, I've seen my greatest strength increase when I creatine/carb load. I'm not a powerlifter but I do enjoy a nice big 3 max day every once in a while. I'll drop carbs down to 50-75g/day for 4-5 days and then load up a whole day, I'm talking 1300g+ carbs.. then go in the following day and smash the weight around (for me at least)..

I say give it a 'test go'..

teerex
06-28-2008, 04:20 AM
low carb is a great way to cut water weight, but when it comes to comp time you'll want to carb up and hydrate.

i recomend waxy maize coupled with oatmeal or rice for recarbing

bigbadwolfe
06-28-2008, 05:58 AM
I wish I could give you an honest answer here but I cant. I've been a Super my whole career and never ever had to worry about cutting weight right before a meet. So I have zero experience there, BUT I have cut carbs to drop weight on numerous occasions and it does work but I always felt a little sluggish afterwards.

My best advice would be to come in at a VERY SOLID 242 and hit a BIG PR and not worry about the cooefficient but that is the Super in me talkng :)