PDA

View Full Version : Eating before workout while trying to lose weight..

ArjunDhir
06-27-2008, 11:24 PM
So generally, I workout after I wake up.

So say I wake up around 11, brush my teeth get down to the basement to workout by around 11:15.

I work out for about an hour and a half so its around 12:45-1 by the time I end up back in my bedroom. By that time I'm starving, but from what I've read your not supposed to eat until an hour after running so I take a shower (I'm all sweaty) to kill some time.

I generally get to eat my first meal of the day by around 1:30-2 which just isn't healthy and does not help with trying to eat 5-6 meals a day.

The reason I work out right in the morning is because I read that its best to lift/run on empty stomach for losing weight and because it simply gets working out, out of the way for the day.

So how do I fix my dilemma? What foods are safe to eat before a workout? What should I steer clear of?

Mademan118
06-27-2008, 11:28 PM
wake up earlier?

fatass
06-28-2008, 12:44 AM
have a bowl or oatmeal and a protein shake

McLaughlin
06-28-2008, 12:59 AM
I'd say steer clear of sleeping until 11, try getting up at 9 or 9:30. That should help a lot.

Also agree about the oatmeal, that's been my breakfast of choice lately and seems to work well.

Bad Azz Dude
06-28-2008, 01:49 AM
Hmm, never heard of not eating for an hour after running. So, cutting off that hour could help.

Also, the reason people advise to aerobically workout after waking up, is because the fat more vulnerable then. However, weight training produces the same effect. So, you could wake up, eat, weight train, and then finally do your running.

(One form of cutting actually involves both: aerobic exercise after waking up, and later in the day, doing aerobic exercise again after you workout)

ArjunDhir
06-28-2008, 09:20 AM
So how much earliest before the workout should I eat the Oatmeal/Protein Shake?

I'm trying to lose weight, doesn't the protein shake kind of prevent that?

cphafner
06-28-2008, 09:42 AM
I personally think that working on an empty stomach will do nothing but burn muscle. I would eat a small breakfast about an hour before.

Bad Azz Dude
06-28-2008, 10:05 AM
Weight training, do after you eat. Cardio after you wake up or weight train.

Thing is: when you're sleeping, the body uses fat primarily as an energy source. (Good deal) So, by the time you wake up, there's plenty of free fatty acids in your blood stream. Same with working out: it's been known to elevate free fatty acid concentrations. Therefore, cardio immediately after you wake up or workout before the fats are stored again is the optimal way to go.

As for the protein shake thing: man, as long as you are building muscle or losing fat, you better be getting your protein. Not only is protein fundamental for building muscle, but it is crucial for getting ripped. First of all protein reduces hunger more than fats or carbs do. Second, like water, protein is highly thermogenic. To get straight to the point, that basically means you burn calories simply by consuming it. To stress how important it is, protein has a thermic effect of 35%. Meaning: 250g of protein per day being 1000 x 35% = 350 calories burned each ****ing day just by consuming protein. Yeah, feel free to sue the guy who made you doubt the protein shake.

Oh, and if you're wondering about the water thing, I'm not sure how effective it is towards burning fat, but drinking like 17 ounces of cold water is supposed to elevate your metabolism - to heat up the water to body temperature - by something like 30% for quite a while after drinking it. With this in mind, over a couple of weeks, you want to work up to drinking 2 gallons of cold water every day.

FireRescue
06-29-2008, 08:19 AM
If you must workout right upon waking I would suggest some BCAA pre and intra workout.

Lones Green
06-29-2008, 08:33 AM
I personally think that working on an empty stomach will do nothing but burn muscle. I would eat a small breakfast about an hour before.

ding ding ding!

eat a meal an hour or 2 before...it will allow your body to burn fat during your workout while still being in an anabolic state

cphafner
06-29-2008, 08:56 AM
Thing is: when you're sleeping, the body uses fat primarily as an energy source. (Good deal) So, by the time you wake up, there's plenty of free fatty acids in your blood stream. Same with working out: it's been known to elevate free fatty acid concentrations. Therefore, cardio immediately after you wake up or workout before the fats are stored again is the optimal way to go.

Are you sure about that? I've always thought that by doing cardio on an empty stomach in the AM your body will look for the fastest energy source ie. muscle. That's just my experience. AM cardio on no food just burned up my muscle.

Bad Azz Dude
06-29-2008, 06:37 PM
Well, from what I know, your body doesn't really look for the "fastest energy source." If so, that should be the stored deposits of fat. The thing is, if you use all the calories from those fat deposits, then it'll move on to using protein - your muscle. That's what we like to call overtraining.

Anyway, I don't think that simply because you don't eat a couple of hours before, your fat deposits will be eliminated. I'm not even sure you'll be able to utilize the calories you gained from breakfast until later in the day when it's been digested, etc.

bjohnso
06-30-2008, 05:04 AM
Eat oatmeal anywhere (in my experience) from 2-3 hours before your workout. If you can't cut that, get some dextrose or waxy maize and drink that mixed with protein shortly before and during your workout.

NewGuy2008
06-30-2008, 06:47 PM
you should eat ur first meal within an hour of waking up. you should do some reading on metabolism rates. waiting 4 hours before ur first meal is probably making it harder for u to lose weight. its the same thing as when people want to lose weight so they just stop eating which makes their metabolism stop so they end up gaining weight. Also i just read somewhere that if u eat something light like half an hour before u work out it suppresses ur appetite for the rest of the day.