PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Lifts for football players?

gauchos21
06-28-2008, 09:11 AM
I play football, and my coach has given us olympic style lifts, (power clean, hang clean, etc.) on our summer workout, and i wanted to know why these are beneifical for football players.

youngguns
06-28-2008, 09:42 AM
probably because of the explosive power they help develop.

manofsteel99
06-28-2008, 09:45 AM
that is exactly why youngguns, football is mostly explosive strength to begin with.

strongkid963
06-28-2008, 09:46 AM
they make you stronger for when you have to complete strength-oriented tasks in football game.

joey54
06-28-2008, 06:20 PM
they certainly won't hurt, but they ain't turning you into Shawne Merriman anytime soon. much better than having you do curls and skull crushers. I have said this before, but I personally feel squatting and deadlifting are more important for football than doing power cleans.

AJ_H
06-29-2008, 01:59 PM
I have 2 say, cleans and just olympic lifts in general will help u a great deal, IMO. Like joey said, squatting and deadlifting will help a great deal to because of the impact they give to your legs and core (a strong core ought to help you take blows better and need I say the benefit of having strong legs?) The OH press, which used to be an olympic move will help you to because you are pushing the weight at a very similar angle to what you would be pushing the opponents in the american football equivalent of a scrum/linage (you know what I mean). I mean the bench press is helpful too, but its not as if you block the opponents from a completely vertical position is it? You would most likely get knocked off your two feet at that angle!

You wanted to know the benefits of the olympic lifts? They will improve your flexibility, co-ordination, timing (?), strength and most importantly power.