PDA

View Full Version : Protein Shake Easy on Stomach

acfalcon
06-29-2008, 05:40 PM
I have been using protein shakes from GNC, and they all give me gas and diahhrea like crazy (even if I take lactaid before I drink them). I just bought a tub of muscle milk and spent about an hour on the toilet for drinking it. I figure maybe I should try somewhere other than GNC. I am sure this has been discussed before, what are some good brands/flavors (no chocolate) of protein to get. And where do I get them.

Thanks

ct67_72
07-06-2008, 08:19 PM
is it a lactose problem? Im pretty sure that the muscle milk has 1% lactose in it. if thats the problem there are lactose free supplements.

thewicked
07-07-2008, 09:32 AM
there are lactose free supplements..but if you change your diet up in any way, like taking in more protien than usual, your body has to adapt to it. The bacteria in yoru gut have to acclimate to breaking down a higher protien diet than you had previously which can take upwards of a week or two. If you just started taking protien, keep at it and the discomfort will go away. Taking a quality protien helps to some degree as well. I'm taking ALN's nitrean after switching from ON whey and had no problems. Quality is a bigger factor than most..but if you make ANY sort of diet change, prepare the ass. It'll be hating you for a few days.

Spartan936
07-08-2008, 09:18 PM
Don't get any of that muscle milk or weight gainer crap. Find a product that is strictly whey and see if that works. Plain whey has no lactose in it. If your stomach still gets upset, then don't buy supplements. They really aren't necessary.

IvanDrago
07-09-2008, 10:07 AM
Supplement quality has a large role in its ability to be tolerated. A lot of cheap crap (see: GNC) doesn't have the digestive enzymes added that you need to not be toliet ridden. Most plain whey powders don't have them, or much of them, added and I experience stomach discomfort with them. Higher quality stuff (*cough* look up *cough*) I haven't had issues with. I've found Muscle Milk to be about as easy as anything on me, but then again I drink milk by the gallon :)

It would sound as if lactose had nothing to do with your problem. If you had trouble with both GNC crap and Muscle Milk, I would probably just go with food, not worth the trouble. Let me ask this, are there foods you have trouble with? Like are you lactose intolerant (or just using lactaid out of suspicion), cottage cheese gives me trouble, etc? This may help narrow your problem.

If you are hell bent on a liquid source of protein (I hate solid food PWO) rice and pea protein powders mixed together is more expensive, but effective. They are very hypo-allergenic, and people rarely have any reaction to them. Also, your best option may very well be BCAA tabs/powder. I would look into that if I were you.

If you are going to go experimenting again, I suggest taking a wee sip and building up from there instead of taking a shake and feeling the pain. Supplements are designed to help you get certain nutrients in your body. If you are having extreme gastrointestinal problems, it isn't helping you.