PDA

View Full Version : Canola Oil -- What's the deal with this?

Blade55
06-30-2008, 09:42 AM
Why isn't this used more than olive oil? You can get a huge 48oz. bottle of Canola Oil with 96 TBSPs for like $2.50. I searched the forums and it seems like it's acceptable to use(I initially thought it wasn't) and even one person on these forums says he puts 1 CUP of it in his shakes.

http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=82568&highlight=canola+oil

It has about the same macros as Olive Oil, but I read it's more processed?

It's super cheap and if it won't hurt your health, I don't understand why people don't use it...and use a lot of it. 1 cup a day seems like it would kill you.

Blade55
07-01-2008, 03:33 PM
Anyone?

Max Thunder
07-01-2008, 05:39 PM
It contains way too much polyunsaturated fat, which makes it more fragile to oxidation both on the shelf and in your blood. Oxidized fat = oxidative stress = bad. Also makes it more fragile to heat.

azma
07-01-2008, 06:50 PM
Thunder knows what's up. Polyunsaturated fats oxidize quickly, and that means more free radicals. Olive oil, aside from having lots of monounsaturated fats, also has lots of oleic acid, phenols, and other good stuff. However, canola oil is still pretty healthy, and even more so if you're taking an antioxidant.

Blade55
07-02-2008, 01:06 PM
So taking 2-3 TBSP a day of it in shakes is bad for you or not enough of an amount to really hurt you?

Blade55
07-04-2008, 05:04 PM
Can anyone answer that question?

bjohnso
07-04-2008, 06:41 PM
Thunder knows what's up. Polyunsaturated fats oxidize quickly, and that means more free radicals. Olive oil, aside from having lots of monounsaturated fats, also has lots of oleic acid, phenols, and other good stuff. However, canola oil is still pretty healthy, and even more so if you're taking an antioxidant.

Phenols are good? I thought they were bad.

Max Thunder
07-04-2008, 07:03 PM
Phenols are good? I thought they were bad.

You might be confused with Bisphenol A, the stuff that leeches from some plastics. Phenols are the stuff you keep hearing about in plants, red wine, green tea, etc.

In my opinion, heavy cream is much more healthier than canola oil, and more tasty too. The best solution for shakes imho.

Olive oil, even being a lot more expensive than canola oil, is still a very inexpensive source of calories.

bjohnso
07-04-2008, 09:47 PM
You might be confused with Bisphenol A, the stuff that leeches from some plastics. Phenols are the stuff you keep hearing about in plants, red wine, green tea, etc.

In my opinion, heavy cream is much more healthier than canola oil, and more tasty too. The best solution for shakes imho.

Olive oil, even being a lot more expensive than canola oil, is still a very inexpensive source of calories.

Hmmmm. Someone told me that phenols form formaldehyde in your body. Phenols are the things in diet sodas, aren't they?

Or maybe I'm just hopelessly confused.

azma
07-07-2008, 03:22 AM
Technically, a phenol is anything with a hydroxyl group bonded to an aromatic carbon ring. There are tons of chemical compounds that meet this definition, from the THC in your weed to the ellagic acid in your antioxidant supplement to the triclosan in your toothpaste. The phenols we're talking about when we discuss olive oil are antioxidant polyphenols, which are quite healthy.

You're thinking of an amino acid called phenylalanine, which is a byproduct of aspartame, an artificial sweetener. Thing is, the way aspartame is broken down causes blood plasma levels of phenylalanine to spike. Some people say this is neurotoxic, but findings are thus far inconclusive. Another byproduct of aspartame is aspartic acid. Aspartic acid is controvertial because it is an NMDA receptor antagonist. This is not a good thing; the recreational drugs PCP and ketamine also fall into this category. Furthermore, about ten percent-by-mass of the sweetener is broken down into methanol. Methanol is the same alcohol that can blind you if you drink bad moonshine, and it breaks down into formaldehyde (which the EPA calls a probable human carcinogen).

manowar669
07-08-2008, 11:52 AM
Canola is crap, throw it away. Long, but a definitive read on fats.
http://http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/skinny.html

bjohnso
07-09-2008, 07:52 PM
Technically, a phenol is anything with a hydroxyl group bonded to an aromatic carbon ring. There are tons of chemical compounds that meet this definition, from the THC in your weed to the ellagic acid in your antioxidant supplement to the triclosan in your toothpaste. The phenols we're talking about when we discuss olive oil are antioxidant polyphenols, which are quite healthy.

You're thinking of an amino acid called phenylalanine, which is a byproduct of aspartame, an artificial sweetener. Thing is, the way aspartame is broken down causes blood plasma levels of phenylalanine to spike. Some people say this is neurotoxic, but findings are thus far inconclusive. Another byproduct of aspartame is aspartic acid. Aspartic acid is controvertial because it is an NMDA receptor antagonist. This is not a good thing; the recreational drugs PCP and ketamine also fall into this category. Furthermore, about ten percent-by-mass of the sweetener is broken down into methanol. Methanol is the same alcohol that can blind you if you drink bad moonshine, and it breaks down into formaldehyde (which the EPA calls a probable human carcinogen).

Thanks for answering my question brah.