PDA

View Full Version : Westside question- Deload week

sayagain
06-30-2008, 10:30 PM
I just started using the Westside methods of training and had a couple questions. Is every fourth week supposed to be a deload week? And if so, what do you guys normally do during a deload week? I was thinking some GPP and maybe some lifts that I don't get to do very often like the olympic lifts. Or should I be doing something else? Any help or guidance you guys can offer would be appreciated.

Cricket_Fire
06-30-2008, 10:42 PM
I'm deffinatly not the level of some of the posters here, so take this with a grain of salt

I don't think you need a scheduled deload week (aside from before meets). If you feel beat up or like you need a deload week, it might be a good idea to take one. However I've you're progressing fine and don't need one; no need to take a deload just for the sake of it.

Whenever I do, I normally just don't do my ME/DE work, and only do a bit of assistance stuff. ie. if I was gonna be doing an ME lift, rack pulls for sets of 5, pullthroughs, and abs. I might only do the rack pulls, pullthroughs, and abs. Or if I'm feeling really beat up, maybe just the pullthroughs and abs.

That's just the opinion of a weakling though :D

Ben Moore
06-30-2008, 11:09 PM
Deload can mean many things - reducing the number of sets, reps or exercises in a particular workout to name a few. That said, I don't think that you need to schedule a deload. If you start losing motivation, feel unusually achey or tired, then it's time for a deload.

sayagain
06-30-2008, 11:13 PM
Ok, got it. So I don't need to necessarily schedule a deload week, but just go more by feel. That works for me, I do a lot of my lifting based on how I feel.

Jeff Roark
07-01-2008, 08:56 PM
I'll give an opinion from the other side. I find that I do quite well with a scheduled deload. I first learned this from Bryce Lane and using his Have it All or 50/20 workout. Understand that it is definately high volume and high intensity for 3 weeks and then a light week. I also found through doing other high intensity workouts that I progress really good for 3-4 weeks then there is a big physical and mental drop off for me, the Pendlay/Madcow 5x5 is a prime example of this for me. If you decide to do a scheduled deload don't worry about it sabotaging all your gains because it most definately won't, if anything it may help keep your joints less achey and motivation higher.

Travis Bell
07-01-2008, 09:11 PM
I do better on a scheduled deload as well. I find I keep away from injury more, those aches and pains stay away and I feel much better when I do that. By the time I hurt, its already late in the game

Ben Moore
07-01-2008, 09:14 PM
Good points to you both.

Jeff Roark
07-01-2008, 09:19 PM
I do better on a scheduled deload as well. I find I keep away from injury more, those aches and pains stay away and I feel much better when I do that. By the time I hurt, its already late in the game

yep me too Travis. I pushed and pushed last year around this time and would not simply back off. I finally had to take a week off due to vacation and that week ended up being 4 entire months off. It took basically this long for me to regain any motivation and to let my terribly achey hips and shoulders recuperate. I'll never push myself that way ever again as that was complete stupidity on my part. I'll be using a deload every 4 weeks from here on out.

Travis Bell
07-01-2008, 09:22 PM
I'll add though, its not easy to deload. By that I mean I LOVE pushing heavy weights every week. Its literally the highlight of my day when I get to do it. But sometimes we've got to think ahead and be patient, knowing that one week of deload isn't going to break us, but just might make the program in the long run

sayagain
07-01-2008, 09:27 PM
In the past I've done a scheduled deload week, but I've also trained by feel and just taken a week off here or there as I felt I needed it. I was just wondering how Westside did it because I see that they work their DE lifts in 3 week waves, but wasn't sure if the following week was a deload week or if they go right back into another 3 week wave. Thanks for all the replies. It's definitely interesting to see what works for others and I am by no means sure of what works for me yet.

Jeff Roark
07-02-2008, 08:06 AM
In the past I've done a scheduled deload week, but I've also trained by feel and just taken a week off here or there as I felt I needed it. I was just wondering how Westside did it because I see that they work their DE lifts in 3 week waves, but wasn't sure if the following week was a deload week or if they go right back into another 3 week wave. Thanks for all the replies. It's definitely interesting to see what works for others and I am by no means sure of what works for me yet.

Experiment. You really have to learn what works for you by getting under the bar, making a plan and then apply it. If something just ain't panning out right make a small adjustment and reaccess. Remember that a deload does not have to be complicated, just cut back on whatever your focus has been. Say if you have for some reason been pushing a volume heavy workout for 3 weeks, lets use 10x5 for example. You have worked up to benching 225x10x5 on the 3rd week and you are starting to feel the drain physically and mentally, on the 4th week just work up to 250 or 275 for a single and be done with it. That what I would do when I was using Byrce Lanes workout, my deload would be a heavy single, low volume but intensity was kept high. This wasn't a true 1RM attempt day, but I wanted the intensity to be high and volume super low because that was the aspect that I was pushing. So its sort of good to know what your deloading from.

sayagain
07-02-2008, 03:04 PM
That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for all of the responses.

Jeff Roark
07-02-2008, 04:58 PM
That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for all of the responses.

great! good luck man.