PDA

View Full Version : recommended calorie intake for 174lbs male.

antek
07-01-2008, 06:56 PM
I play beach volleyball in the summer, hockey in the winter. Just recently tore a tendon in my shoulder, so I can't do gym or sports for a while, so I figure I'll just eat a lot and use the healing time as bulking period, what would recommended calorie intake be for somebody my weight, I'm 5'11, 25 y.o., fit and usually active in sports and cardiovascular activities.
Thankya.

Gilles1975
07-02-2008, 01:03 AM
I play beach volleyball in the summer, hockey in the winter. Just recently tore a tendon in my shoulder, so I can't do gym or sports for a while, so I figure I'll just eat a lot and use the healing time as bulking period, what would recommended calorie intake be for somebody my weight, I'm 5'11, 25 y.o., fit and usually active in sports and cardiovascular activities.
Thankya.

There are too many variables for us to be able to give an accurate answer. Such as BF%, metabolism etc. You need to find this out yourself by counting your daily calories and keeping track of how much exercise you do, then stick to the same diet and exercise plan and so if you gain muscle or fat, then you can determine that either a)your diet/exercise levels are fine b)you aren't taking in enough calories to build muscle or c)you are taking in too many calories and as well as building muscle you are adding unnecessary fat. If you find you aren't getting enough calories you can either eat more or cut back on the exercise, a mix of both is usually best; if you find that you are consuming too many calories then reduce your daily amount by 200-300 and see if this keeps the fat from mounting.
Basically you need to find the perfect number for you that will give you enough of a daily calorie excess to grow muscle, but not so much of a calories excess that you increase your level of stored body fat.
This is how the movie stars do it. You think Brad Pitt goes on bulking and cutting cycles? His PR people would commit suicide if he ever put on a pound of fat and yet he is able to build considerable muscle mass.
It's all about finding the perfect calorie balance and its easy if you know how to count and stick to the same routine.

Keith
07-02-2008, 09:55 AM
Where the hell have you been antek? Oh, and listen to the dude above.

Shark
07-02-2008, 01:40 PM
Based on your past dieting history (None!) and the fact that you have a very high metabolism I would think you should start around 2500-3000 cals per day, say 2800. I would do that for a week and monitor your progress on the scale. If nothing happens add on about 300 cals or so and monitor with the scale for another week.

Your needs are always going to be different then the majority of people on this board as your income depends specifically on your physique. You can't really afford to "bulk" in the traditional sense of the word.

The other issue that I see with this is that you're saying you're not going to be lifting etc. and you want to "bulk" up. Any excess weight that you put on while not lifting will be mostly fat.

These are things you need to think about. Nail down exactly what your goals are for your recovery period and then we can assist you in meeting them through your nutrition intake.

Notorious
07-02-2008, 02:13 PM
I would guess around 3000 is maintenance. Also, why can't you lift? There are a ton of things you can do that don't involve your shoulders.

ryuage
07-02-2008, 04:35 PM
I would agree with others... from what I recall you had a very lean physique so wouldn't you have these answers already? Basically find out how much you're eating now and eat more than that.

knicksfan20
07-02-2008, 07:14 PM
I would guess around 3000 is maintenance. Also, why can't you lift? There are a ton of things you can do that don't involve your shoulders.

You cant do anything upperbody wise....Maybe some leg presses or w.e...but what do you expect him to do?

Squats will probably be hard...cuz he has to rest the weights on his shoulders

I dont know the severity in his injury, but tearing a tendon sounds pretty serious, am i wrong? Any stress ont he shoulder could hurt him.