PDA

View Full Version : To lose fat????

tanker_67
07-02-2008, 12:46 PM
I recently quit football, i was a DLineman, and i'm wanting to get my body, back into my D-end shape of my freshman sophomore year before my college coaches made me put on weight. I'm going to try this diet pill called Thermadrol... Has anyone here tried it before? i know "diet pill BAD" but i know how to eat right, and all that, i just want a lil boost, so i can lose some of my stubborn fat, i've already lost 30 pounds of my fat weight. Let me know what you guys think about it, if i should do it or not.... Thanks...

bjohnso
07-02-2008, 01:41 PM
Eat about 85% of your maintenance and continue to lift heavy weights. When rate of weight-loss slows down, readjust to 85% of new maintenance.

85% is what I have heard recommended to others. A slower cut will probably allow you to maintain more strength and muscle mass, a faster cut will cause you to lose more muscle but will be faster (duh). I wouldn't go below 85% if I were you.

tanker_67
07-02-2008, 01:48 PM
Well, I have already cut. See i'm on a pill prescription, that is known to cause your metabolism to slow down, A LOT. so while i'm on it, for a while, i've cut all i can stand to cut, without any losses... But on a positive note, my gains in strength, are still remarkably well, for how little i eat now. BUT if i cut rations any more, i'll practically be starving myself... Hence why i wanna try a metabolism booster pill.....

smokinHawk
07-02-2008, 01:53 PM
well you already made up your mind to take it and your not listening to people here so why ask?

tanker_67
07-02-2008, 01:59 PM
well you already made up your mind to take it and your not listening to people here so why ask?

No, i haven't made up my mind. I'm looking for suggestions, on something i might not have thought about.... Ya know? like, maybe something to do, on top of my diet, or like, meal replacement, SOMETIHNG, because i dont really like the idea of taking a pill to lose weight....

bjohnso
07-02-2008, 02:06 PM
No, i haven't made up my mind. I'm looking for suggestions, on something i might not have thought about.... Ya know? like, maybe something to do, on top of my diet, or like, meal replacement, SOMETIHNG, because i dont really like the idea of taking a pill to lose weight....

What is the name of the prescription you are on? (if you don't mind my asking)

I don't know why you would want anything liquid to replace parts of your regular diet, seeing as how you are already starving - unless I misunderstood your original post.

tanker_67
07-02-2008, 02:09 PM
What is the name of the prescription you are on? (if you don't mind my asking)

I don't know why you would want anything liquid to replace parts of your regular diet, seeing as how you are already starving - unless I misunderstood your original post.

yeah,,, exactly, i don't, lol, i know i'm confusing sometimes. I'm on zyprexa. its for bipolar disorder.

bjohnso
07-02-2008, 03:01 PM
yeah,,, exactly, i don't, lol, i know i'm confusing sometimes. I'm on zyprexa. its for bipolar disorder.

Who told you it slowed down your metabolism? What does it say on the bottle?

tanker_67
07-02-2008, 03:05 PM
Who told you it slowed down your metabolism? What does it say on the bottle?

My doctor said, it has a tendency to cause people to become overweight, without any changes in diet" Well she didnt say it would slow down your metabolism, but the only way to gain more weight, without diet change, practically means something with metabolism.... the bottle doesnt say anything, because its a prescription bottle.

bjohnso
07-02-2008, 03:20 PM
My doctor said, it has a tendency to cause people to become overweight, without any changes in diet" Well she didnt say it would slow down your metabolism, but the only way to gain more weight, without diet change, practically means something with metabolism.... the bottle doesnt say anything, because its a prescription bottle.

Not necessarily. It might make you dizzy or drousy, which would mean you want to sit around all day, which would cause you to gain weight. Since I sit around all day anyway, if I took that drug than maybe nothing would happen. Google it and find out. I'm on a prescription that says, "may cause dizziness or drowsiness." Whatever. It doesn't necessarily mean you burn fewer calories at rest.

But anyway, to clarify: What are your goals? You want bigger muscles, or do you want to trim some fat off?

tanker_67
07-02-2008, 03:26 PM
Not necessarily. It might make you dizzy or drousy, which would mean you want to sit around all day, which would cause you to gain weight. Since I sit around all day anyway, if I took that drug than maybe nothing would happen. Google it and find out. I'm on a prescription that says, "may cause dizziness or drowsiness." Whatever. It doesn't necessarily mean you burn fewer calories at rest.

But anyway, to clarify: What are your goals? You want bigger muscles, or do you want to trim some fat off?

Right now in time, i need to lose a LOT of fat.... thats my primary goal... My secondary goal would be to at LEAST maintain the muscle i already have, and maybe make some gains *but since thats practically impossible while losing vast amounts of weight i wouldnt be upset if it didnt happen* my goal is to get to around 235 before i start training to put on lots of muscle again.... which is like, 60 pounds away.

bjohnso
07-02-2008, 03:44 PM
Right now in time, i need to lose a LOT of fat.... thats my primary goal... My secondary goal would be to at LEAST maintain the muscle i already have, and maybe make some gains *but since thats practically impossible while losing vast amounts of weight i wouldnt be upset if it didnt happen* my goal is to get to around 235 before i start training to put on lots of muscle again.... which is like, 60 pounds away.

My original advice applies then.

tanker_67
07-02-2008, 07:01 PM
My original advice applies then.

you say to cut to 85% OF 85%? i'm already eating a lot less.

bjohnso
07-02-2008, 07:40 PM
Figure out what your maintenance calories are by writing down everything you eat for a week and dividing by seven. Then eat 85% percent of that for a while, and when you stop losing weight, lower it again.

tanker_67
07-02-2008, 11:47 PM
Figure out what your maintenance calories are by writing down everything you eat for a week and dividing by seven. Then eat 85% percent of that for a while, and when you stop losing weight, lower it again.

oh, ok.... but shouldn't i stay about the "starvation zone" like, under 1,900 calories for men? I'm teetering above that a lil bit

TheGMan
07-03-2008, 08:00 AM
Maybe look at your whole diet, cut it up, get rid and start again.

Tailor your diet to meat your goals, that will mean eating properly and having 6 meals a day, eating 6 meals a day will speed up your motabolism and therefore enable you to burn more calorories so although you are consuming more after a month or so your boidy will adapt and match what you are eating.

Get your diet right and do some HITT (do a google search if unsure) 20 mins on HITT and you wont be able to walk (try 4 or 5 mins if you are starting off)

Regarding diet pills, nothing (in my opinion - and it is only an opinion) can speed up your metabolism, yopur heart rate yes but motabolism no so if you want to take a pill that speeds up your heart rare and therefore flows the blood quicker be my guest, no one on hewre can stop you but wont you feel so much better looking back on 6 months and thinking i did this without pills, i did it on my own.

I know what i would choose!

bjohnso
07-03-2008, 08:27 AM
oh, ok.... but shouldn't i stay about the "starvation zone" like, under 1,900 calories for men? I'm teetering above that a lil bit

That's awfully low for someone your size. Maybe that medication is affecting you. That's an arbitrary number for "starvation level," but it's still seemingly way too low.

bjohnso
07-03-2008, 08:27 AM
Maybe look at your whole diet, cut it up, get rid and start again.

Tailor your diet to meat your goals, that will mean eating properly and having 6 meals a day, eating 6 meals a day will speed up your motabolism and therefore enable you to burn more calorories so although you are consuming more after a month or so your boidy will adapt and match what you are eating.

Get your diet right and do some HITT (do a google search if unsure) 20 mins on HITT and you wont be able to walk (try 4 or 5 mins if you are starting off)

Regarding diet pills, nothing (in my opinion - and it is only an opinion) can speed up your metabolism, yopur heart rate yes but motabolism no so if you want to take a pill that speeds up your heart rare and therefore flows the blood quicker be my guest, no one on hewre can stop you but wont you feel so much better looking back on 6 months and thinking i did this without pills, i did it on my own.

I know what i would choose!

Eating more frequently is not going to boost your metabolism.

TheGMan
07-03-2008, 08:55 AM
I have been told motabolisms are tricky little things, they are difficult to speed up and easy to slow down so to keep it up 6 meals a day, a good breakfast with slow releasing carbs and exercise (regular) will keep you going.

Weather my motabolism has sped up or not since i have started this i have load weight and if i have a week off through holiday or something like that i can eat anythign i want, i go back to the gym get on the scales and maybe 2 pounds different, if i would have done that a few years ago there would have been a lot of difference so weather motabolism has got something to do with it or not it worked for me, oh and drinking gallons of water!!

tanker_67
07-03-2008, 12:47 PM
I have been told motabolisms are tricky little things, they are difficult to speed up and easy to slow down so to keep it up 6 meals a day, a good breakfast with slow releasing carbs and exercise (regular) will keep you going.

Weather my motabolism has sped up or not since i have started this i have load weight and if i have a week off through holiday or something like that i can eat anythign i want, i go back to the gym get on the scales and maybe 2 pounds different, if i would have done that a few years ago there would have been a lot of difference so weather motabolism has got something to do with it or not it worked for me, oh and drinking gallons of water!!

Yeah, thats something i've heard a lot of, and need to get in the habit of doing, is drinking more water than i do already.

tanker_67
07-03-2008, 12:51 PM
That's awfully low for someone your size. Maybe that medication is affecting you. That's an arbitrary number for "starvation level," but it's still seemingly way too low.

Yeah, i know its too low. Although i must admit, that once a week, i typically get off my diet, and splurge a LITTLE on a desert, or some cookies, or something after dinner before i go to bed, but its not like, a regular thing. I don't know. I also want to know what to eat that will help fill me up better mid afternoon. Like, i need something to help me feel more satisfied late afternoon, because sometimes when i'm working out, doing some cardio, i start to feel a little woosy because i feel pretty hungry....

tanker_67
07-03-2008, 01:23 PM
Ok... The thing i forgot to add is how much i weigh... they say if i eat 2,400 calories a day i will lose 2 lbs a week at least, WITHOUT exercise. Right now i eat a little less than that, i try to eat that much, but its hard for me to eat that much every day. Should i try to cut what i'm eating, or maybe i need to eat MORE..... I dont know! haha

ddegroff
07-03-2008, 04:40 PM
You can't eat 2400 cals a day. And feel "woosy" during cardio. You need to eat a little more.

Eat 2400 and exercise see how much weight you lose. Your a big guy so that number doesn't surprise me all that much.

Apple and PB is a good afternoon snack. Yogurt and Whey with fruit is another one.

tanker_67
07-03-2008, 06:23 PM
You can't eat 2400 cals a day. And feel "woosy" during cardio. You need to eat a little more.

Eat 2400 and exercise see how much weight you lose. Your a big guy so that number doesn't surprise me all that much.

Apple and PB is a good afternoon snack. Yogurt and Whey with fruit is another one.

I decided to start writing down what i'm eating and when... And i guess i started noticing something that i guess isn't all that shocking now that i look at it... I end up eating about 400 calories for breakfast, about 600 for lunch, then about 1,300 for dinner, then about 100 for a snack after dinner.... I think what i need to do is divide that HUGE dinner up and eat more for lunch, and a snack in between.... I just find it hard to snack when i'm not hungry, and i never seem to be hungry during the day until after i work out, which is roughly an hour before i eat dinner everyday. Anyone notice anything else i should do? and thanks for the snack ideas, i should get out my wallet, and buy some stuff.... I think i just need to get it in my head, that eating snacks can be a good thing, as long as my overall calorie goals are reached, and not exceeded necessarily.

ddegroff
07-03-2008, 11:45 PM
as long as my overall calorie goals are reached, and not exceeded necessarily.

Bingo.

If the big dinner is pwo, then I wouldn't change that.

tanker_67
07-04-2008, 12:37 PM
Bingo.

what is PWO?

bjohnso
07-04-2008, 01:57 PM
Post Work-Out

tanker_67
07-04-2008, 02:14 PM
Post Work-Out

AND,,,,, i'm a dumb a**.... haha I knew that, just brain fart. i swear!

tanker_67
07-04-2008, 02:16 PM
Bingo.

the big dinner is typically anywhere from 40 minutes to 2 hours PWO... I never eat big before. Problem is that i'm so hungry, it feels like i'm just benge eating. But when i count calories on what i ate, it usually still falls within my daily goals.. I only eat 3x a day, on a typical day, unless i take a protien shake mid afternoon,

ddegroff
07-08-2008, 09:35 AM
the big dinner is typically anywhere from 40 minutes to 2 hours PWO... I never eat big before. Problem is that i'm so hungry, it feels like i'm just benge eating. But when i count calories on what i ate, it usually still falls within my daily goals.. I only eat 3x a day, on a typical day, unless i take a protien shake mid afternoon,

That's what really matters. If your workout was in the AM I would say something different. But sense your workout is in the PM then it's not that big of a deal.