PDA

View Full Version : My Workout, Please Critique

GHOGH
07-02-2008, 09:06 PM
This is my current workout with wieght used please give your opinion bad or good. Thanks!!
The workout is a 3 day workout, 1 on 1 off. First number is set, then weight then reps.

Day 1 Back and Bi's
Back
Wide grip pulldown
1 x 150 x 10-12
3 x 200 x 6-8
Seated row
3 x 260 x 8 (this is on a cable cross universal machine and i use the whole stack.)
One arm Seated cable row
3 x 100 x 8 (use this because dumbells only go to 75 in this gym)
Wide grip pull ups
Body wieght to faliure 2 sets

Biceps
Weights very here is the routine
I use any mix of 3 of these
Standing dmbll curl/Incline dmbll curl
Preacher curl/single arm preacher curl
Barbell curl/Hammer curl

Day 2 Chest and Tri's
Chest
Flat Bench
Warmup 2 sets 135x10
1 set 225 x 5
1 set 315 x 3-5
2 sets 350 x 2
1 set 225 15-18, that 20 rep is elusive!!

Incline Bench
3 x 250 x 8
Today I did 250 x 8 twice and 315 for 2

Flat/incline flyes
3 x 75's 10-12 (highest dumbell the gym has)

Followed by Tri's
Close grip bench
3 x 225 x 8-10
Push downs
3 x 100 x 10
Overhead dumbell ext.
3 x 75 x 10

Day 3 Legs and Shoulders
Sguats
1 x 135 x 10
3 x 225 x 10 (have bad hamstring, working through it.)
Leg curls
3 sets ascending weights 6-8 reps
Leg curls
3 sets ascending weights 6-8 reps

Shoulders
Seated Shoulder Press
1 x 50 x 10 - 12
3 x 75 x 8 - 10 (again only have 75lb dumbells)
Side raises
3 x 40 x 6 - 8
Upright rows
3 x 100 x 6 - 8
Shrugs
2 x 225 x 20

So long to type but short and killer!!!

TheSeeker
07-02-2008, 09:22 PM
The volume looks perfect! If this is what the magazines have suggested, then you made the right choice. Atleast in my opinion...

What exactly are your goals anyway?

GHOGH
07-02-2008, 09:33 PM
The volume looks perfect! If this is what the magazines have suggested, then you made the right choice. Atleast in my opinion...

My main goal is to reach a 405 bench by the end of the year. At least 2 reps.

BTW, in the gym I am at I can't use chalk or be loud and obnoxious, so all those bench lifts are done with no chalk no belt and no loud scyhe!!!

GHOGH
07-02-2008, 09:34 PM
OH and the next answer is 5'8" and 225.

TheSeeker
07-02-2008, 09:38 PM
Well, if your goals are mainly to increase your bench, then you might wanna grab some advice from Travis Bell... Or better yet, read: http://westside-barbell.com/articles.htm

Your routine is ideal as a means of "physique building." Not strength training.

TheSeeker
07-02-2008, 09:41 PM
My main goal is to reach a 405 bench by the end of the year. At least 2 reps.

BTW, in the gym I am at I can't use chalk or be loud and obnoxious, so all those bench lifts are done with no chalk no belt and no loud scyhe!!!

Lol. You'll be fine. You have to be because most of the gyms that they have here in the USA are made for pansies... When you reach your goal, nobody will have the balls to tell you to not bring chalk in the gym anyways. Haha!

Eric Downey
07-03-2008, 12:11 AM
You need to adjust the weight to more power movements. I did see any deadlifts in your routine. Your squat need some reps of 3 to 5 and well your bench work. Also as a PL you need to train the movement. By that i dont mean doing only squat bench and dead lift, but train for every part of the movement it self. The lockouts the putting the hips in to the dead lift the jumping out the whole in the squat. It sound like alot to take in but really its not when broken down. Start reading and ask questions. As far as chalk go to your local bowling alley and get a risen back like pitchers use to keep there hands dry. Its not chalk but it better and safer than nothing. westside articles area great place to start and also some of westsides finest are here to help with getting a solid program put together. So if you a PL lets get you on a routine thats gonna get you big and strong. If you a body builder keep doing what your doing and read flex.

So which is it?

RhodeHouse
07-03-2008, 07:07 AM

Stop giving advie to people when you have no idea what you're talking about. Just because you've read some books and articles by Louie, doesn't mean you know your stuff.

Don't give out bad advice. You're going down the path to another ban.

Tennessee Mike
07-03-2008, 02:23 PM
No deadlifts?If it was me I'd drop the one arm cables.Do t- bars or barbell rows.And I would also do the militaries standing with a barbell(no leg drive).

GHOGH
07-03-2008, 04:40 PM
No deadlifts?If it was me I'd drop the one arm cables.Do t- bars or barbell rows.And I would also do the militaries standing with a barbell(no leg drive).

Well I would do deadlifts but I go to a pansy gym because that is all there is in my are, so first off they don't allow deadlifts, they have no squat racks, only smith machine and the dumbells only go to 75, Every time you grunt groan or drop a weight they set off some stupid alarm. So I am limited to what I can do and I do the best that I can with what I have.

Standing militaries are pretty diffucult if you have to bring it all the way up from the floor.

Thanks for all the advice guys, keep it coming I am definetaly going to use it to the best of my abilities.

Travis Bell
07-03-2008, 05:08 PM
advice No.1 - find a new gym

GHOGH
07-03-2008, 08:03 PM
advice No.1 - find a new gym

Most definitely good advice but on a budget you can't beat 99$ a year for a membership and the main thing is I am going to the gym.

TheSeeker
07-03-2008, 08:08 PM
GoHeavyOrGoHome - that's a good name. lol.

Anyway, Travis is right. Unless you have a complete set of weights with olympic bars, a power rack, and a few heavy sets of dumbbells, then you're really gonna need to go in a gym. (make sure they have weights!)

Travis Bell
07-03-2008, 09:20 PM
Most definitely good advice but on a budget you can't beat 99$ a year for a membership and the main thing is I am going to the gym.

you get what you pay for i guess. Trust me, I know what its like to have to be on an extremly tight budget (grad student) but one thing that is not worth saving on is your gym membership. I could find a gym membership for that much a year, but I would have nothing to work with. If I'm not going to do this whole thing right I might as well not do it at all.