PDA

View Full Version : How the hell do you crazy bast***ds deadlift so much weight?

brihead301
07-03-2008, 09:46 AM
I just got 345 x 5 for my first time yesterday, and I don't feel as if I stalled out yet. I can probably continue to add 5 lbs. per week for another few workouts until I'm maybe up to 375 or so. But DAMN, 345 felt pretty damn heavy to me.

But how the hell do you crazy SOB's manage to deadlift up over 600 lbs. and stuff?? Actually I know how you do it. You train your ass off until you do it, but I'm just saying that 600+ lbs. is insane. 600+ lb. squat.... yup that's also insane.

My PR's right now are:

Squat - 255 x 5
Deadlift - 345 x 5
Bench - 217 x 5

I don't know what my 1RM's are though. It definately feels heavy to me now though, lol.

Ben Moore
07-03-2008, 10:46 AM
There's a running theme in most threads - years of training consistently. I've been training consistently for 15+ years. There is no secret and it won't happen overnight. Find some training partners and get to work.

brihead301
07-03-2008, 11:37 AM
Ya I know. I've been busting my a** for about a year now. I'm just amazed at how people can squat and deadlift so much weight when my lifts feel so damn heavy now, lol. Much respect to everyone though that does it.

Tennessee Mike
07-03-2008, 12:28 PM
345 x 5 is no joke for a raw lifter.your 1 RM could be around 405-420.Wait another 5 years.I didnt start really deadlifting seriously until 3 yrs ago.Once I started using the westside template and talking to other powerlifters I learned a ton.Do alot of low back work,hamstrings,db rows,etc.To master a movement,you must dissect it.Rack pulls,pulls off plates too.Your pulling good weight now,so keep at it.

David_HoffWSBB
07-03-2008, 12:44 PM
heavy rack pulls , hypers , calf ham glutes, sled dragging, safety squat bar, speed pulls with bands thats how i did it

BCorn
07-03-2008, 01:16 PM
my question is how do you get 345X5!!!!! i'm a freaking weakling....couldnt even get that.

TheSeeker
07-03-2008, 06:44 PM
heavy rack pulls , hypers , calf ham glutes, sled dragging, safety squat bar, speed pulls with bands thats how i did it

Now I know what I'm gonna do for my ME! :lol:

TheSeeker
07-03-2008, 06:49 PM
my question is how do you get 345X5!!!!! i'm a freaking weakling....couldnt even get that.

Do you deadlift? Cause if you don't, then there's absolutely no reason for you to be able to deadlift alot.

Anyway, for starters, here are my suggestions:

1. http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=82345

2. http://westside-barbell.com/articles.htm

3. http://www.powerpage.net/coanphildead.html

If you have the courage to do so.... http://www.joeskopec.com/smolov.html

I'm not sure if the Smolov program can be done to the deadlift but oh well...

Jeff Roark
07-03-2008, 08:20 PM
ask 4000 questions for advice on this or that subject, then immediately turn around and give a bunch of advanced training advice on every single thread you see opportunity to do so. You are just like Rock-ten at the P&B. Amazing.

thewicked
07-03-2008, 09:12 PM
putting in your time...pretty m uch covers it

RedSpikeyThing
07-03-2008, 09:17 PM
That's how I feel about bench press. Every single workout. Ever.

Also deadlifts are a mind game. Just because 345 feels heavy as **** doens't mean you can't do 355...you just need the stealy focus and concentration.

mike42506
07-03-2008, 11:50 PM
That's how I feel about bench press. Every single workout. Ever.

Also deadlifts are a mind game. Just because 345 feels heavy as **** doens't mean you can't do 355...you just need the stealy focus and concentration.

yeah, i was deadlifting weight that i thought was pretty heavy and then added 10 pounds and did it for the same amount of reps

alex11012
07-04-2008, 03:53 AM
There's a running theme in most threads - years of training consistently. I've been training consistently for 15+ years. There is no secret and it won't happen overnight. Find some training partners and get to work.

Genes also play a factor too.

Not every man that trains can achieve these huge lifts.

Eric Downey
07-04-2008, 07:47 AM
What you talking about my dead sucks. My arms are just to short. I they were a half inch linger it would make all the difference.

RhodeHouse
07-04-2008, 10:40 PM
Genes also play a factor too.

Not every man that trains can achieve these huge lifts.

Don't cry about genetics. I can go off for 10 pages on why my genetics suck as a powerlifter. It has nothing to do with genetics. Reach down between your legs and find a pair of balls. That's what it takes to lift big weights.

Genetics is the weak man's excuse for why he sucks at life. Don't be that guy.

Leeman
07-05-2008, 12:00 AM
the more you weigh the easier it is to understand why you can lift so much weight.

When I started my goal was the elusive 405 at 215lbs, now Im 320lbs and can get 700 for a few reps with lifting straps touch and go.

405 is big weight... for a guy who is 150, 500 is big weight, for a guy who is 200lbs etc. Its obvious to me why big guys lift allot, whats not clear is how small guys lift allot. Like a 600 deadlift at 180 is just hard for me to wrap my mind around.

Leeman
07-05-2008, 12:03 AM
Don't cry about genetics. I can go off for 10 pages on why my genetics suck as a powerlifter. It has nothing to do with genetics. Reach down between your legs and find a pair of balls. That's what it takes to lift big weights.

quoted for truth, you never know what your genetics are anyway until you gained 100+lbs and trained as smart and hard as possible for many years to begin with. Weight gain, and training will over come some of the most **** genetics you have ever seen.

Ben Moore
07-06-2008, 09:26 PM

Rhodes - you need to write a book with all your one-liners. Classic.

alex11012
07-07-2008, 02:02 AM

I'm not crying about genetics. I'm quite happy with how my lifts are progressing.

I'm just stating like in all sports some are better suited than others to lifting very heavy weights.

[Looks down]
|
|
|
|
|
[Grabs balls] [tries to lift weights at the same time]