PDA

View Full Version : Target stomach? LOSE WEIGHT..Help.

ArjunDhir
07-03-2008, 10:49 AM
So I'm 17, and I've been working out for about a month and a half. I want to target stomach weight (lovehandles, tummy) and chest (manboobs).

I've only lost about 2-3lbs over the span of my working out even though I cut out almost all junk foods and had a strict workout plan.

Don't know much else I can do, so I'll just post what I do here, and ask for some suggestions.

Mon, Wed, Fri:
5min Warm up + Stretches
Some dumbbell workouts with 12lb/15lb weight
Some workouts with my weight machine (benchpress, pulldown, butterfly)
20min jog/run on treadmill/elliptical

Tues, Thurs, Sat:
5min warm up + strecthes
Some ab excercises (crunches, pushups, burpies, leg ups)
15mins of HIIT on treadmill/elliptical

Sunday:
Rest day from workout, not from diet

I try to eat 3-5 meals a day, but its hard since I workout in the morning and am out pretty much the rest of the day. I've cut soft drinks and juice straight out of my diet, and drink water with every meal except breakfast. With breakfast I drink skim milk or on occasion orange juice. I've also stopped eating fast foods on a regular basis, and mostly eat home made **** now. Once or twice a week I will however eat some type of junk food (ribs, pizza, fries) because I live at home and work at a movie theatre and have no real choice of what to eat otherwise, with those meals however I try to eat smaller portions and drink water with them. During the day I drink about 4-5L of water a day..

In the next week or so, I am cutting out machine workouts, since I am buying a dumbbell set and will be doing various dumbbell workouts on my weight days only. I will also be drinking an afterworkout protein shake after every workout.

My number 1 priority is losing weight, I will worry about gaining muscle after, but at this point all I want to do is lose my weight.

I'm 5'11 and I sit at about the 180lbish range.

Heres a picture I took about a week and 2 days ago:
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa85/arjundhir/Spread.jpg

Torrok
07-03-2008, 11:43 AM
So I'm 17, and I've been working out for about a month and a half. I want to target stomach weight (lovehandles, tummy) and chest (manboobs).

I've only lost about 2-3lbs over the span of my working out even though I cut out almost all junk foods and had a strict workout plan.

Don't know much else I can do, so I'll just post what I do here, and ask for some suggestions.

Mon, Wed, Fri:
5min Warm up + Stretches
Some dumbbell workouts with 12lb/15lb weight
Some workouts with my weight machine (benchpress, pulldown, butterfly)
20min jog/run on treadmill/elliptical

Tues, Thurs, Sat:
5min warm up + strecthes
Some ab excercises (crunches, pushups, burpies, leg ups)
15mins of HIIT on treadmill/elliptical

Sunday:
Rest day from workout, not from diet

I try to eat 3-5 meals a day, but its hard since I workout in the morning and am out pretty much the rest of the day. I've cut soft drinks and juice straight out of my diet, and drink water with every meal except breakfast. With breakfast I drink skim milk or on occasion orange juice. I've also stopped eating fast foods on a regular basis, and mostly eat home made **** now. Once or twice a week I will however eat some type of junk food (ribs, pizza, fries) because I live at home and work at a movie theatre and have no real choice of what to eat otherwise, with those meals however I try to eat smaller portions and drink water with them. During the day I drink about 4-5L of water a day..

In the next week or so, I am cutting out machine workouts, since I am buying a dumbbell set and will be doing various dumbbell workouts on my weight days only. I will also be drinking an afterworkout protein shake after every workout.

My number 1 priority is losing weight, I will worry about gaining muscle after, but at this point all I want to do is lose my weight.

I'm 5'11 and I sit at about the 180lbish range.

Heres a picture I took about a week and 2 days ago:
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa85/arjundhir/Spread.jpg

ok your going to get this alot but you cant "Spot reduce."
meaning if you want to loose weight in a specific area, there is NO exercise or tactic to get rid of the fat in that area alone. you loose fat all around and evenly.
seeing as how you want to loose fat, your going to have to eat less, and if you have a gym go lift and lift heavy. do compounds like deadlift, squat, rows, bench, OH press, and more.

record how many calories you eat a day, for a week and see if you gain or loose weight. if you loose weight then your eating under maintainance..most likely.
eat these foods: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=46565&highlight=bodybuilder+eats

Brendonia12
07-08-2008, 12:34 PM
I'm sure you've already considered this, but do cardio. You lose fat by using more calories than you're eating. Lift weights to build muscle, but to burn fat you've got to do cardio.

And when you're doing cardio, it's better to keep your heartbeat at a steady rate for a long time than it is to anaerobic excersizes like windsprints or stop-goes. You also don't want to worry about your mile times or anything when you're trying to lose weight.

Try running 5 days a week. Wake up, and keep your heart-rate at 145 for at least 20 minutes. If you're out of shape, you probably won't be moving that fast. Don't worry about it.

Doobs
07-08-2008, 01:51 PM
You lose fat by using more calories than you're eating.
This part is partially correct. You lose weight by using more calories than you're eating.

Lift weights to build muscle,
This part is correct.

but to burn fat you've got to do cardio.
This part is incorrect. Diet to lose weight, lift weights to keep muscle on while losing weight. Do cardio if you think you need it for your heart or for a sport, or if you can't possibly reduce your food intake any further. Otherwise that's just added training stress and a lot of wasted time.

Willie
07-08-2008, 02:07 PM
Remember, fat is systemic, meaning you can't "target" an area. Fat, generally speaking, works on a "first on, last off, last on, first off" principle.
You didn't put that fat on overnight, don't expect it to come off overnight.

If your goal is leaness, you might be simply eating too much. I see that you do cardio and HIIT, so you _should_ be losing fat. You need to add more, systematic weight lifting, emphasizing the compound movements like squats and deadlifts.

Weight lifting, of course, adds muscle, which helps tilt the BMI scale to your favor as muscle burns calories just sitting there.

Train smart, not more.

Also, don't lie to yourself about your dietary habits.

This "Once or twice a week I will however eat some type of junk food (ribs, pizza, fries) because I live at home and work at a movie theatre and have no real choice of what to eat otherwise" is, well, crap. You _choose_ what you put in your mouth. Buy vegetables and and good protein shakes to take with you to work. If someone offers you something bad, and you're hungry, well, go hungry until you can get something decent. No one ever died by missing a couple of meals.

Keep track of EVERYTHING. That handful of popcorn you snacked on while you were at work COUNTS. That Coke you drank with lunch COUNTS.
Until you're ready to make the needed changes, you will continue to get the kind of results you've been getting.

You're not far off and you've got youth on your side, so tighten up your diet and lift.

Good luck!

40 Nunc
07-08-2008, 03:07 PM
Listen to Doobs and Willie on this one! Eat right - lift weights.

Not trying to pick on Bredonia12 but if you want to lose "weight" then by all means run 5 times a week. Keep in mind that you will be losing muscle and fat. Think about it like this... who looks healthier, a bodybuilder or marathon runner? If you want to look like a runner you've chosen the wrong forum for information!

If you want to burn fat, stick with the HIIT 3 days/week. Research has proven that 15-20 min of HIIT (performed correctly) will burn as many calories as running an hour on the treadmill. Simply explained, HIIT is also less likely to burn muscle because the body will use stored fat for quick energy. You'll see and feel results after the first week if you're eating correctly - I can vouch for this personally.

Good luck!

Spartan936
07-08-2008, 09:13 PM
Waaaah!!! Headless man!

What Doobs said. The formula for losing fat and maintaining muscle mass is deceptively simple. Exercise correctly, count your calories. That's it.

Beefcaker
03-14-2009, 02:54 PM
I mean no offense in any way, but ... it seems like you are getting half-ass results from half-ass dieting and half-ass training.

-The cheat meal on the same day every week I believe is a great idea. It'll give you something to look forward to, and it will be so much better when you are disciplined enough to eat perfectly on all of the other 40-50 meals during the week.

-Train heavy with weights (more muscle = better metabolism)

-Knock out ALL junk food, starches, sugars, etc; not just some.

-Cook all of your own food. Don't know how? Learn. If you want to lose weight, you have to be willing to do whatever it takes. I personally cook enough for two days every other day, or enough for 3 days depending on whether I'll have time in the next few days. I don't know your schedule, so you'll have to figure it out.

-High intensity cardio 3-5 times a week. I have been doing martial arts off and on my whole life, so I prefer MMA training with other fighters. You may be more inclined to do something else that is more fun for you. Make cardio fun (or atleast bearable), so that you keep doing it.

-Count calories, fats, carbs, and proteins. If you don't keep track, then you will NEVER know for sure what you are taking in. Believe me, I have tried dieting without keeping track. Once you start keeping track, you will realize what the problem is. Either you are not taking in enough (doubt it), or you are eating things that are too calorie rich in the wrong nutrients.

-Eat 5-7 times a day. Not 3-5. You MUST avoid the insulin spike, and unless you eat every 2-3 WAKING hours, your insulin WILL spike.

-Your program is too vague. You need to figure out some solid stuff. For instance, what do you get your protein from? How many ounces of what do you have at every meal? Where do you get your carbs from? How many carbs/protein do you need in a day? How much per meal? These are all things that you will need to do some reading and research to figure out.

I was in the same position at your age. I took up boxing, and have been hooked to training hard ever since. I've moved on to MMA, PLing and BBing. Find your niche and it'll make training fun. Good luck bro!

VikingWarlord
03-14-2009, 03:08 PM
I don't think he's really after advice anymore since the thread was started back in July and he never posted in it again.

given'er
03-14-2009, 08:34 PM
yet another dead topic brought to life by a newbie

Beefcaker
03-16-2009, 11:56 AM
Yea I didn't even notice... oops :angel:

fearless
03-16-2009, 12:17 PM
freshman year of highschool i was 5 ft 220lbs.........i began running, swimming, and wrestling....im in college and im now 6'0 200lbs and ripped.....the trick was rlly working my CARDIO and eating SMALLER PORTIONS.....do a couple of miles EVERYDAY....this is key.....if oyu want it bad enough dont take "breaks"...your sleep at night is your break.....i was overweight and hate dmyself for it that is why i care so much....cant od it for you bro....push yourself to teh limit and you'll see results

fearless
03-16-2009, 12:18 PM
ooooh....he prolyl doesn't even care....o well