PDA

View Full Version : pecs not sore.

Brendonia12
07-03-2008, 02:15 PM
Day after brand new workout. Bench Press: 2x6-8 reps. Decline Dumbell Press: 2X6-8 reps. Dips 2x6-8 reps. That plus a back workout. My chest isn't sore, what gives? I had been doing 4 sets on the bench, and more dips too. I felt like I'd plateued with the old routine, so I switched to this one. But I don't even feel sore in the chest. Not only that, but they've got me waiting another week before I do any chest excersizes again. What gives? Is this a bad program?

Isaac Wilkins
07-03-2008, 02:37 PM
Soreness is not indicative of growth.

Continue your program for 4-6 weeks or so, increasing the weight by small amounts every week. I assure you that you will grow from a program like that, many have.

It's not particularly powerlifting-based, but I'll leave this thread here for now.

BFGUITAR
07-03-2008, 02:45 PM
Why not? The bench press is a powerlifting lift :P

I usually don't get sore pecs when I work out PL style. They get sore but it's a different type of soreness in comparison to higher reps. Its more of an exhausted feeling.

But anyways, I generally like to add in some high rep flies or incline DB press just to add some volume (10-15). I like it personally.

smokinHawk
07-07-2008, 08:05 AM
your hardly working your chest is why.
try dropping decline dumbells
just stick with the flat for a few times, doing 3-5 working sets of about 10 reps, heavy-something challenging.

thewicked
07-07-2008, 08:58 AM
hardly working it for one..adn two... soreness should NEVER be an indicator of growth, degree of muscle involvement, etc. Soreness will happen when you first start a program or make any sort of drastic change in your training but, if it happens after a few weeks of training, you're either not recovering fast enough for what you're doing or you've injured yourself.

smokinHawk
07-07-2008, 11:05 AM
hardly working it for one..adn two... soreness should NEVER be an indicator of growth, degree of muscle involvement, etc. Soreness will happen when you first start a program or make any sort of drastic change in your training but, if it happens after a few weeks of training, you're either not recovering fast enough for what you're doing or you've injured yourself.

I TEND TO DISAGREE.
if im not getting sore, i didnt put in the effort. all the muscle groups that i make sore every week grow, those that dont stay stagnant.
i try to work out with more intensity each week that way i make progress.

killxswitch
07-07-2008, 09:43 PM
Soreness is not indicative of growth.

I've read this many times on this site. I'm not doubting you, but other than here I've never heard this. Does this mean that if your chest is sore you didn't necessarily do anything worthwhile to it, or does it only mean that the absence of a sore chest does not automatically mean that the chest muscles were not stressed?

Brendonia12
07-07-2008, 11:38 PM
Would I be ok to work a little harder on the bench/squats/deadlifts, even if that's not included in the program? Would that slow the progress that I'd be making otherwise, (in gaining size)?

Maybe something like:
1x10-12 reps at 140
2x8 reps at 150
1x5 reps at 160

And then I could continue with the rest of the workout as I've listed it? I'd really like to improve those three lifts, especially bench.

Isaac Wilkins
07-08-2008, 04:14 AM
I've read this many times on this site. I'm not doubting you, but other than here I've never heard this. Does this mean that if your chest is sore you didn't necessarily do anything worthwhile to it, or does it only mean that the absence of a sore chest does not automatically mean that the chest muscles were not stressed?

Both.

I could have you do jumping jacks for an hour and your calves would probably be sore as ****, but I bet they wouldn't grow much.

On the flip side, using progressive overload and continuing to add weight in small increments but avoiding failure can at times limit DOMS, all the while building size and strength.

Edit: I'm not necessarily advocating that you should never be sore. There are times when you're probably going to be sore as hell, and it's a good thing. I'm merely saying that you don't always have to be sore.

Given that he's doing more of a hypertrophy program with a reasonable time under tension per set he'll probably be more sore than someone would doing a ME workout with some heavy singles, but again, he doesn't have to be.

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
07-08-2008, 09:56 AM
Day after brand new workout. Bench Press: 2x6-8 reps. Decline Dumbell Press: 2X6-8 reps. Dips 2x6-8 reps. That plus a back workout. My chest isn't sore, what gives? I had been doing 4 sets on the bench, and more dips too. I felt like I'd plateued with the old routine, so I switched to this one. But I don't even feel sore in the chest. Not only that, but they've got me waiting another week before I do any chest excersizes again. What gives? Is this a bad program?

Soreness is not a direct indication of increase in strength & size. Soreness is probably more related to your hard work for particular activity.

I don't use soreness as an indication that my bench press is increasing.

If you are searching for muscle soreness or DOMS.
Here are 5 suggestions:
1. Increase your volume
2. Add more variety
3. Add pause sets or drop sets
4. Add bands, chains or boards
5. Go to failure or burn outs

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
GOT MAXIMUM MASS STACK?

Brian Weston
07-08-2008, 10:52 AM
If you are truly doing a powerlifting style bench, your pecs hardly come into play. Instead you are using, primarily...legs. hips, lats. traps, tri's,and delts

Travis Bell
07-08-2008, 11:28 AM
I don't think that is really quite true, your pecs are a pretty large part of it. In this case the person is just not using them enough

Brian Weston
07-08-2008, 11:58 AM
I don't think that is really quite true, your pecs are a pretty large part of it. In this case the person is just not using them enough

Ya think?
Guess we are gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.
Could be individual training styles, maybe that's why I could never get my bench out of the low to mid 6's.
Always found that my hips and tri's were my primary movers.

Travis Bell
07-08-2008, 01:59 PM
if you are talking about benching in a shirt, you are correct

I believe the OP is talking about benching raw

Brian Weston
07-08-2008, 02:57 PM
if you are talking about benching in a shirt, you are correct

I believe the OP is talking about benching raw

LOL. that would explain it. My mind just goes right to gear training.
Gettin old, don't work like it used to.