PDA

View Full Version : old WBB'er Anthony competing at Crossfit Games this weekend - GL

Bob
07-04-2008, 01:33 PM
In case there are folks interested in one of the old-timer WBB'ers who use to post a lot of great info here... especially concerning GPP... is competing this weekend at the CrossFit Games.

Below is Anthony's Profile from the CrossFit Games competitor site...
It's about a 1/3 of the way down the page on http://games.crossfit.com/athletes/
It has a recent picture and a movie of one of his workouts... intense stuff.

Good Luck to Anthony!!!!
:thumbup:
Athlete Profile: Anthony Bainbridge

June 22, 2008 12:32 PM

Anthony Bainbridge Profile...[wmv][mov]

Height: 5'7
Weight: 170
CrossFit Fredericton

Benchmarks

30 Muscleups: 3:14
Angie: 13:41
Cindy: 33 rounds
Diane: 3:21
Elizabeth: 4:31
FGB: 404 (3 rounds) / 585 (5 rounds)
Fran: 2:47
Grace: 2:13
Murph: 33:43

Squat: 405
Press: 205
Deadlift: 565
Power Clean: 235
500m Row: 1:26.2

Thoughts on the Games: Everyone knows what happened last year, but with CrossFit's infamous "variety" principle it is obvious that things could change. I've heard a ton of rumors but it honestly doesn't matter. You could tell me the exact events and I would still use the WOD to prepare. But if there is another random hopper event, I'd be hoping for something like 21-15-9 of 405 pound deadlifts and muscleups. Can you pass that on to Coach for me?

The competition itself is going to be insane! The big dogs are coming out for this one and it's almost tempting to just sit back and watch them demolish the events. I won't see any of it since I'll be gasping for air and wiping sweat out of my eyes for 2 days, so hopefully Tony B gets some great video of everyone kicking ass.

Diet: I'm on a steady stream of Big Macs and Pepsi. I figure I'll self-sabotage so that if I don't perform well I can blame it on my diet. Seriously though, I'm Zoning on 18 blocks with 4x fat - practically no sugar or starch.

Mental: I'm in a really good spot right now. I took a break from fighting so I have no injuries, diet is dialed in, sleep patterns are solid, and my benchmark workouts have been improving at a steady rate. I know I'll come in well rounded and at my best - so whatever happens on the scorecard is irrelevant.

Countdown is on!

Lones Green
07-04-2008, 02:09 PM
guy has always been a beast!

KingJustin
07-04-2008, 03:32 PM
The events this year are really bad for Anthony (and bad in general at testing all around fitness, imo)....

The first two events are metcon. First is Fran (21-15-9 reps of pull-ups & thrusters)

Second is 5 rounds for time of
275 lb deadlifts, 5 reps
10 burpees

Third event is a 750m run up a steep hill.

Fourth (and fifth?) event is TBA, the night before, but it will be some sort of timed event.

Winner is the person with the lowest overall time.

Anyway, Anthony is going to be one of the best guys out there. But, he struggles on the running (he had a disease of some sorts that literally kept him unable to run until a couple years ago), and even though he's good on metcons, he isn't the best. He makes up for both of these by being one of the strongest CrossFitters (565 deadlift and such), but it doesn't look like he's going to get any credit for his strength, since from the looks of things, there's not going to be a powerlifting-style event.

Either way, good luck to Anthony. He's a really helpful guy and a dedicated athlete.

getfit
07-04-2008, 08:30 PM
I already checked it out.Good Luck!

KingJustin
07-05-2008, 02:54 PM
Results are in from the first round...

http://games.crossfit.com

There are 3 events on day 1 (listed above), and they split everyone up equally among the three. So, some people will do Workout1 first, then 3, then 2. Others will do 2, then 3, then 1, etc. There's a 4 hour rest time between the workouts.

Anthony drew "Fran" first. He finished in 14th place out of the one-third that drew it. There's about 190 male competitors based on a quick count. First place so far is 3:33 on "Fran," and Anthony got 4:41 -- keep in mind that this is with the new pull-up rule (chest to the bar instead of chin).

He still has the deadlift event and the run event. I think he may very well finish first overall -- or very close to it -- in the deadlifts/burpees, but the running will probably be his worst. It might actually be helpful for him that it's up a steep hill, though, because I think short people do better on the incline and worse on the decline. Anyway, I'm hoping for a top ten finish for him. There looks to be a ton of freaks in there!

Anthony's (new) wife Jodi is also competing. She finished 12th on "Fran" with 8:05. I'm guessing that the new pull-up rule threw her off a bit. The best girl's time was 5:17. There's about 80 competitors.

Chubrock
07-05-2008, 03:17 PM
2:33 is the top time for the DL/Burpee combo. That's INSANE.

KingJustin
07-05-2008, 03:40 PM
2:33 is the top time for the DL/Burpee combo. That's INSANE.

Is it really? 275 is so light on deadlifts, and they're only doing 5. It seems like there would be a lot of guys that can go through it -- 50 burpees and 25 deadlifts -- without stopping at all. Also, burpees don't have to be done the slow way. You can throw yourself on the ground and pop up and clap and then fall back down.

I can't do any of these workouts now (INJURED), but I really think Anthony is going to go through the deadlift/burpee one full speed, no rest.

Kiaran
07-05-2008, 05:35 PM
Sweet. I wondered what happened to Anthony. Looks like he's been busy as ever. Good luck!

Bob
07-05-2008, 05:47 PM
Anthony got 2:45 in the Deadlift combo... great time, but there looks to be a bunch of guys grouped around the 2:40-2:50 time... and after 2 events, he is in 19th place. Lets hope he has a PR run and stays in the top 20 so that he is there for tomorrow's final grouping of 20.

And it looks like Jodi is at 36th place with the run to go also.

Justin, thanks for the updates on Anthony... glad him and Jodi made it official...

Kiaran
07-05-2008, 05:50 PM
Damn, that sounds like some TOUGH competition.

KingJustin
07-05-2008, 06:30 PM
Jesus... This Spealler dude is a ****ing machine -- 3:03 Fran and 2:41 on the deadlifts. Dude's 140 lbs or so. He's going to dominate on the run, too.

Also, it looks like most of the girls got their best time on the run, so that should help Jodi out. She's not a good runner, but she'll do well enough to improve a little bit more.

KingJustin
07-05-2008, 10:30 PM
Anthony remains ranked #19 going into the third day. First place time is 9:04 (full minute lead over #2), and Anthony is at 11:59. Final day's event is:

30 reps for time of 155lb (squat) clean & jerks. (95 lbs for the girls)

You can't power clean it -- you have to perform a front squat on every rep. I'm guessing the best times will be around 2:35 or so.

Jodi is ranked 28th.

KingJustin
07-06-2008, 05:53 PM
I guess today's workout was harder than I expected. Best time was 2:45, which pretty much blew everyone else away. The #1 guy, with a huge lead going in (Spealler) dropped down to 10th (7:27 was his time).

Anthony finished 16th, and Jodi 34th.

The most shocking thing to me is the depth here. There were 50 REALLY REALLY ****ing in-shape male athletes. And, even the next 100 or so were in very solid all-around shape as well.

Winner was Jason Khalipa.

bjohnso
07-06-2008, 06:52 PM
Cool, good luck to Anthony.

RedSpikeyThing
07-06-2008, 08:14 PM
That's just plain nasty. Good work nonetheless Anthong! PS I didn't realize you were that jacked...I had only seen your tiny little avatar.

Anthony
07-09-2008, 08:08 AM
I thought the events were great at testing fitness, work capacity, and recovery. Hammer someone with a short intense workout, rest, hammer again, and again, then let them go home and sleep, wake up with DOMS, and hammer them again. See who doesn't quit!

Overall it was a blast - very happy to be a part of it. Thanks for the support. :)

bjohnso
07-09-2008, 03:09 PM
I thought the events were great at testing fitness, work capacity, and recovery. Hammer someone with a short intense workout, rest, hammer again, and again, then let them go home and sleep, wake up with DOMS, and hammer them again. See who doesn't quit!

Overall it was a blast - very happy to be a part of it. Thanks for the support. :)

How did you do? And what have you been up to?

ryuage
07-09-2008, 03:16 PM
My affiliate won the cup... woohoo

Detard
07-09-2008, 04:11 PM
Wow 16th out of about 200 guys. Great ****ing job Anthony. You did really well

KingJustin
07-09-2008, 06:27 PM
I didn't like the fact that they didn't have any pure strength event (and even though Anthony won't admit it, I think he would have benefited from it!). Either way, they did a great job of showcasing all their amazing athletes.

Also, just because I follow this pretty closely and I know not everyone else here does ....

Anthony was not merely "16 out of 200" ... pretty much ALL of the very best CrossFitters (aside from perhaps some guys overseas) went to the Games. Their were very few people there that "didn't belong" so to speak. And, I would be surprised to see almost ANYBODY (globally) finish in the top 20 that wasn't very familiar with CrossFit in general. Maybe a few pro athletes, some decathletes, etc, but only a handful of people on Earth.

So, congratulations to Anthony on a great finish.

getfit
07-09-2008, 06:29 PM
Outstanding work and dedication to the both of you.

cphafner
07-09-2008, 06:37 PM
Awesome job Anthony!

ericg
07-10-2008, 06:43 AM
The only reason why Anthony did so well is because he is barely pushing 5' tall. I mean how long is his ROM for his deads, chins, presses? ;)

Guido
07-10-2008, 07:40 AM
Out-f'ing-standing. Throw in a 405 DL for reps event and Anthony could have won it all. Impressive.

Chris Rodgers
07-10-2008, 09:31 PM
The only reason why Anthony did so well is because he is barely pushing 5' tall. I mean how long is his ROM for his deads, chins, presses? ;)

LOL! Did you place first in the "little person" division?

Sick work Anthony. I don't think I could make it through your easiest workout of the week. You have obviously been working very hard and it shows. You are definitely looking jacked up in the video too.

Congrats to both you and Jodi.

tomv
03-25-2009, 05:21 PM
Anyone know if Anthony is competing in this years games?

Davey
03-26-2009, 08:03 PM
this guy is one built like a short brick house! Amazing!

KingJustin
03-27-2009, 08:10 AM
Anyone know if Anthony is competing in this years games?

I'm confident enough that he is planning to that I'm not going to bother checking.

This year, participants have to qualify to go to the Games. He needs to be among the top 3 male athletes from "Canada East." Qualifications are April 25-26. I would be surprised if Anthony did not make it.

(That said, I workout with one of the other top-20 guys from last year, and he has improved a lot since last year, but because there is just no telling what events are going to come, he isn't excessively confident)

http://games2009.crossfit.com/map/index.html

Mike G
03-28-2009, 12:19 PM
I'm confident enough that he is planning to that I'm not going to bother checking.

This year, participants have to qualify to go to the Games. He needs to be among the top 3 male athletes from "Canada East." Qualifications are April 25-26. I would be surprised if Anthony did not make it.

(That said, I workout with one of the other top-20 guys from last year, and he has improved a lot since last year, but because there is just no telling what events are going to come, he isn't excessively confident)

http://games2009.crossfit.com/map/index.html

I think you've said in the past, but how does your friend plan out his workouts?

KingJustin
03-28-2009, 05:04 PM
I think you've said in the past, but how does your friend plan out his workouts?

Well, I sort of train with a bunch of different guys, but I'm talking, oddly enough, about "Mike G," who comes up every now and then on the main site.

Mike usually does the main site workouts and just tries really hard. He'll sometimes do heavier metcons and he'll sometimes hang around and do an extra lift every now and then.
But, for the most part, he's just all about serious intensity and good form. He trains down at CrossFit Atlanta, and the gym has 4 guys that are nationally competitive in Oly lifting, (who also come out to train at Emory) so he gets good coaching on that stuff.