PDA

View Full Version : If you're not bulking or cutting?

Gilles1975
07-05-2008, 05:29 AM
...then what are you doing?

We all know that to bulk you need a calorie excess and to cut you need a calorie deficit. But what if, either accidentally or deliberately, you are eating at maintenance? By maintenance this also includes the calories you burn by lifting, so you have no excess and no deficit - what results will this yield?

scission
07-05-2008, 10:23 AM
...then what are you doing?

We all know that to bulk you need a calorie excess and to cut you need a calorie deficit. But what if, either accidentally or deliberately, you are eating at maintenance? By maintenance this also includes the calories you burn by lifting, so you have no excess and no deficit - what results will this yield?

Minimal to no results.

TopCat
07-05-2008, 10:28 AM
If you were to EXACTLY maintain the no results would be totally correct. Even not exactly maintaining it probably is.

If you know what your doing your goal while 'maintaining', or slightly fluctuating around maintenance, could be to catch up lagging muscles, body recomposition, or simply taking a break from the extremes. It also is a great choice when you know you are going to be way to busy to bulk/cut properly.

Gilles1975
07-05-2008, 11:01 AM
What if you're continually getting stronger? Is this an indication that you are progressing (I ask because week by week strength gains are easier to gauge than size gains which take much longer).

cphafner
07-05-2008, 11:28 AM
Minimal to no results.

That's not always true. I've maintained the same weight for about 6 weeks now even though I have dropped bodyfat and gained strength.

Gilles1975
07-05-2008, 11:47 AM
That's not always true. I've maintained the same weight for about 6 weeks now even though I have dropped bodyfat and gained strength.

So is this the body recomposition I've been hearing about?

bjohnso
07-05-2008, 11:50 AM
Recomposing - unless you're like 6% bodyfat.

Gilles1975
07-05-2008, 01:23 PM
I'm 11.8% Bf at the moment. I'd be happy to recompose if it means losing another 2-3 pounds of bodyfat while adding even just a small amount of muscle, then I would up the cals by 200 a day and go on a clean bulk.
I have been doing this for the past three weeks, It's too early to say if my muscles are getting bigger, but I'm getting stronger and my waistline is still shrinking - so is this recomposing?

renfrizo
07-05-2008, 01:27 PM
if i'm not cutting or bulking that means i'm dead

TopCat
07-05-2008, 01:37 PM
I'm 11.8% Bf at the moment. I'd be happy to recompose if it means losing another 2-3 pounds of bodyfat while adding even just a small amount of muscle, then I would up the cals by 200 a day and go on a clean bulk.
I have been doing this for the past three weeks, It's too early to say if my muscles are getting bigger, but I'm getting stronger and my waistline is still shrinking - so is this recomposing?

Ya pretty much. However, as you get lower and lower in BF you will begin losing more muscle. Once you get near 10% I'd look into a specialized diet. I've had some success with UD2, there are others that are recommended as well.

Gilles1975
07-05-2008, 01:54 PM
Ya pretty much. However, as you get lower and lower in BF you will begin losing more muscle. Once you get near 10% I'd look into a specialized diet. I've had some success with UD2, there are others that are recommended as well.

Once i get down to 10% I will change to a clean bulk. I know a lot of guys look to build muscle as fast as possible and live with the fat gains in the meantime, but having lost over 40 pounds of pure body fat in the last year I never want to be fat again, so I'm happy to build muscle slowly and leanly.

motoko013
07-06-2008, 06:24 AM
Recomposing - unless you're like 6% bodyfat.

i would think so too. if you're still lifting heavy weights and progessing, i don't see why you wouldn't gain muscle and lose fat, although the process would be slow