PDA

View Full Version : Why alternate your grip on Deadlifts?

AJ_H
07-07-2008, 09:54 AM
A while back, I told my friend to grip the bar with an alternate grip while deadlifting and he asked me why but I couldn't answer him... I know your supposed to do this, its just that I've been doing it for a while without really actually knowing why I do it...so my question is, why do you have to do it?

Ben Moore
07-07-2008, 10:00 AM
keeps the bar from rolling out of your hands.

LevesqueIsKing
07-07-2008, 10:34 AM
First of all, it's personal preferance, so I don't know if you should have told your friend that he 'should' be gripping the bar a particular way.

Yes, most people use an alternate grip, but some still prefer different variations. An alternate grip, for most people, gives you more control over the bar. You can lift more weight with more control with an alternate grip.

PriestCometh
07-07-2008, 12:51 PM
I am a great example for this. I am recovering from a hairline fracture(radius).

For years I have been training with my left hand as my underhook grip. Now,
because of the injury it is easier for me to use an overhand grip. Now I twist
too much when I reversed the grip. When I keep it as is, I favor it too much and
havent gotten 100%.

So, I had to switch to a double overhand hook grip until it feels comfortable again.

Guido
07-07-2008, 02:57 PM
I know that for most people they can hold a hell of a lot more weight in their hands with a mixed grip. Hook grip can work, too, but it takes a lot of pain tolerance at first to be able to handle it.