PDA

View Full Version : For you 30+ men, how many found a change in metabolism?

ThunderCat30
07-07-2008, 01:11 PM
I was just wondering how many of you guys who
are 30yrs or older who had to change their eating
habits due to age/metabolism?

How did you adjust it, what types of foods did you eliminate or
add, how much exercise did you decrease or increase??

I've come to the realization that my metabolism and food requirements
are not what they were 5yrs ago when I was 25, or when I was 18.

I didn't think it would happen, but I've noticed over the past 3yrs that
keeping the same healthy food intake and calories per day, I've noticed
that it added more bulk, water retention and bf%.

For the past 2 months I'm on a much lower calorie diet, and had to
drastically increase the amount of cardio to 7 days a week minimum
25mins to 45mins. High protein maybe 4 meals and 2 shakes a day max,
along with green veggies, lot's of water, low sugar and starch.

God I love food LOL :D

I have dropped 2 inches off my waist and really lost a lot of bulk
I once required for MMA fighting and football. I still have a lot left
but it's working.

Have any of you guys had a lot of problems, had liposuction to
correct very stubborn left overs (I like to call it)?

Thanks for your time guys, much appreciated :D

RhodeHouse
07-07-2008, 06:12 PM
There's no change in metabolism. You're not as active as you used to be, so it's harder to stay in shape. Think about how much you did when you were younger. Now, as life catches up, work, family, kids, etc.. get in the way of your physical activity. Don't use the old metabolism excuse like some use the genetics excuse. Get out there and make time for yourself. Consciously eat better. Pick foods that are low in fat and sugar. Stay away from processed foods. Here's a great hint - when you grocery shop, only shop around the outside of the store. try not to go down the aisles. All the fresh food is on the outside, and all the packaged/processed food is in the aisles (for the most part).

1. Eat 5-6 times a day
2. Exercise 5-6 days a week (weights and cardio)
3. Don't allow yourself to become too sedentary with work and life

Max Thunder
07-07-2008, 07:52 PM
:withstupi:

Although I don't agree with eating 5-6 times a day, there's no magical change in metabolism that occurs with age.

zen
07-07-2008, 08:03 PM
When I was in school, I could eat and eat and eat and eat and hardly put on a pound.
I could eat entire pizzas.
I could eat many burgers in a sitting. Friends and I used to have contests about how many wendy's triples we could eat.
I could eat 50 wings in a sitting.
It was glorious.

The old folks told me. "Your metabolism will slow down, just like everyone else's"
I said "no way!"

They were right.

I can still enjoy stuff, but it is all about portions for me now.
I just have to be responsible and moderate how much I eat.

I'm sorry RoadHouse, I am NOT less active now. I promise.
Metabolism is not a myth.
I have read it countless times in various places. Your body simply becomes more efficient at utilizing digested calories when you get older.

jay24k
07-07-2008, 08:41 PM
I'm not sure if I notice a change or not. I'm 31 and I recently have lost 62 pounds. I wasn't doing lifting, just running for the first 50. I did a HIIT 20 minute run daily and cheated bad on Sunday. I lost about 2 to 4 pounds per week with my first couple averaging 6 to 8. I then started weights and came to a SCREECHING halt. I was seeing muscles get bigger but no numbers. I ate 6 times a day and lost 5 pounds over the next week. I then hit another block. I recently this week lost the rest and I'm now at my first goal ever. I'm less weight then I've ever been post high school.

Is it harder? It's hard to say cause I let myself go overweight 62 pounds. I'm 218 now at 6-3. I still have a few more but I'm nowhere near what I was. Now I'm trying to trim the stomach for my first ever six pack. Never had them but I will not stop till I do :).

My routine consists of 3 cardio 20 min days and 3 weight lifting days of 1 hr. I notice when I hit 2400 calories a day, I don't drop much weight but I seem to bulk muscle on quickly. I'm a numbers guy so it drives me crazy. But the numbers seem to drop all of a sudden though.

Willie
07-07-2008, 09:05 PM
As an "old guy" I've noticed that I gain weight easier, but I'm not going to blame metabolism outright. Of course, at 17-18 you might still be growing, so there could be something to it.

In my case, right after college, I worked a lot of physical jobs and lived in Europe where riding a bike back and forth to work everyday was simply what one did. I was as fit as a fiddle well into my middle 30's, despite a less-than-ideal diet.

As sometimes happens, though, I became more successful and my career took a turn towards the sedentary side of the spectrum. I've gained about 30lbs in about 8 years. I'm sure that only a fraction of it is muscle, if any.

It happened slowly, while I was doing other things. I think it happened because I was not changing my eating habits, not working out as much and simply not using more calories on a daily basis by being "active."

I'm on track to lose the fat, but I find that I now gain weight a lot faster after having been really overweight. I also find that I lose it a lot slower than I did before. If I wanted to get "in shape" for a bike race or something when I was younger, I tightened up my diet, worked out a little harder and the fat came off easy. It's much more of a struggle now.

Develop good habits (both diet and exercise) and monitor you activity level (not just how much you're working out) and I'm sure you'll see a positive difference.

Avoid calorie dense foods (think butter, ice cream) and alcohol. It's just empty calories, though a glass of red wine every now and again will aid digestion and does have some anti-oxidant properties.
Good luck.

RhodeHouse
07-08-2008, 06:26 AM
When I was in school, I could eat and eat and eat and eat and hardly put on a pound.
I could eat entire pizzas.
I could eat many burgers in a sitting. Friends and I used to have contests about how many wendy's triples we could eat.
I could eat 50 wings in a sitting.
It was glorious.

The old folks told me. "Your metabolism will slow down, just like everyone else's"
I said "no way!"

They were right.

I can still enjoy stuff, but it is all about portions for me now.
I just have to be responsible and moderate how much I eat.

I'm sorry RoadHouse, I am NOT less active now. I promise.
Metabolism is not a myth.
I have read it countless times in various places. Your body simply becomes more efficient at utilizing digested calories when you get older.

I doubt you are as active now as you were then, but whatever makes you sleep at night is cool by me.

I just don't like the metabolism excuse. It's the loser's way out, in my opinion. If you're 40+, I buy it a little more. At 30 we're still babies.

RhodeHouse
07-08-2008, 06:28 AM
:withstupi:

Although I don't agree with eating 5-6 times a day, there's no magical change in metabolism that occurs with age.

Why not? I've seen my metabolism increase eating more often than that per day. What's your take on meal frequency?

smokinHawk
07-08-2008, 07:29 AM
i havent hit the 30 mark yet, but the only time i noticed my metabolism change when my lifestyle have changed, once out of highschool, when i wasnt playing as much basket ball, so less running and jumping and not as active.
then when attending college full time and working full time when i wasnt able to work out as much, but then it changed back a bit once i started working out more again..
so id agree with rhodes.
when you slow down is when you get old, most people think i am 9-7 years younger then am.

Guido
07-08-2008, 07:33 AM
Why not? I've seen my metabolism increase eating more often than that per day. What's your take on meal frequency?Same. I find that the more I spread my food out throughout the day the more energy I have and the less likely I will be to binge eat because I'm rarely if ever REALLY hungry. I haven't noticed much of a slowdown in my metabolism if any. I do eat more than I used to but haven't had any appreciable fat gain except when I was bulking a few years ago. Once I started to maintain and kept on lifting the fat I gained from the bulk slowly came off. Now I'm pretty lean for my height/weight.

zen
07-08-2008, 07:53 AM
I doubt you are as active now as you were then, but whatever makes you sleep at night is cool by me.

I just don't like the metabolism excuse. It's the loser's way out, in my opinion. If you're 40+, I buy it a little more. At 30 we're still babies.

I think you are mixing up two relatively different metabolism arguments.

There is the one that people use to excuse their obesity. They claim that no matter how much they exercise and how little they eat, they cannot lose weight.
Now, doctors say that there can be some truth to this, such as hypothyroidism and etc, but for the most part, this is a psychological denial mechanism. Many of these people actually do not recognize their eating habits. When people point out that they are binge eating, they will actually become defensive an angry.
The mind is a complex thing sometimes.

But when it comes to metabolism slowing with age, this is a fairly accepted concept from what I have seen in medical and nutrition articles that I have read.

Let me put it to you this way.
When I was in highschool, I was very active. I participated in some sports, I walked a lot, I worked a (low paid) active job in a restaurant. I ate like a horse and never gained weight.

I took a year off before college and worked. I ate like a horse and never gained weight.

For the first two years of college, I didn't have a job. I drove to school, rarely walked, didn't do much, studied and did sedentary things.
I ate like a horse and drank like a sailor and never gained weight.

Now, I am passing my mid 30s I have been slowly seeing the change creep up over the past 10 years. I lift weights, run or bike occasionally, and my job sometimes involves fair amount of activity.
I eat like a mouse and I gain weight if I am not careful.

I promise you. I PROMISE you. It's not in my head.

Torrok
07-08-2008, 09:27 AM

well at 30 we should be old and about 40 we should be dead. welcome to the modern world where medicine keeps us alive. years ago the average life span was about 40-45. kids got married in their teens. the point being we werent meant to live too long. our body oxidizes and deteriorates so i believe our metabolisms do slow.

Guido
07-08-2008, 10:20 AM
well at 30 we should be old and about 40 we should be dead. welcome to the modern world where medicine keeps us alive. years ago the average life span was about 40-45. kids got married in their teens. the point being we werent meant to live too long. our body oxidizes and deteriorates so i believe our metabolisms do slow.People lived short lives before because of disease, unsanitary conditions, and poor nutrition. Those things have changed for those of us in developed nations (well, except for the poor nutrition in some cases) so we SHOULD live longer. If people paid attention more to what they put in their bodies, were active, and if we lived in a society free of man-made toxins, I truly believe that MOST people would live well into their 80's or 90's instead of dying from preventable causes such as heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and certain cancers. Also, modern medicine would be a little less necessary to our long-term survival than it is now. Hmmmm.

BFGUITAR
07-08-2008, 10:25 AM
Our metabolisms do slow down.

It's like saying our metabolisms don't change from when were a baby until were a teen. As a baby our metabolisms are MUCH MUCH faster as a baby than a teen. A baby can go through 900 calories in a day yet a teen 8-10 times the size may only use 2000. This is because babys are growing. Just because you can't see a physical difference between a 20 year old and a 30 year old (on the same scale of a baby--->teen) doesn't mean our metabolism doesn't slow down. As well teens are growing and will use more energy.

I would say the difference between the metabolism of a 20-->30 year old is greater than from a 30--> 40 year old.

Tekn50
07-08-2008, 10:39 AM
I had to cut out junk, and started watching my portion sizes. In the end its cals in vs cals out.

Holto
07-08-2008, 01:09 PM
I think the average poster here in their 30's should have a very similar RMR, due to the extra lean mass they carry. This is based on the assumption that they have been training for some time.

RhodeHouse
07-08-2008, 07:03 PM
I think you are mixing up two relatively different metabolism arguments.

There is the one that people use to excuse their obesity. They claim that no matter how much they exercise and how little they eat, they cannot lose weight.
Now, doctors say that there can be some truth to this, such as hypothyroidism and etc, but for the most part, this is a psychological denial mechanism. Many of these people actually do not recognize their eating habits. When people point out that they are binge eating, they will actually become defensive an angry.
The mind is a complex thing sometimes.

But when it comes to metabolism slowing with age, this is a fairly accepted concept from what I have seen in medical and nutrition articles that I have read.

Let me put it to you this way.
When I was in highschool, I was very active. I participated in some sports, I walked a lot, I worked a (low paid) active job in a restaurant. I ate like a horse and never gained weight.

I took a year off before college and worked. I ate like a horse and never gained weight.

For the first two years of college, I didn't have a job. I drove to school, rarely walked, didn't do much, studied and did sedentary things.
I ate like a horse and drank like a sailor and never gained weight.

Now, I am passing my mid 30s I have been slowly seeing the change creep up over the past 10 years. I lift weights, run or bike occasionally, and my job sometimes involves fair amount of activity.
I eat like a mouse and I gain weight if I am not careful.

I promise you. I PROMISE you. It's not in my head.

I don't doubt you. I just believe that we slow down more than our metabolisms. I do agree that it slows with age, but I just don't believe it's as biga eal as the medical field makes it out to be. If I hadn't heard that my metabolism was "supposed" to slow down at 30, I'd never know. I think there's a lot of BS out there that leads us into believing these doctors are right, so we buy more weight loss pills, or buy into more and more of these fad diets. It pays to make people think a certain way. Plus, every doctor I've been to over my 32 years has told me I can't do what I've done because of Marfans. They were all wrong. I have little to no faith in "medical professionals". Most are out to make a buck.

ThunderCat30
07-09-2008, 02:38 PM
Wow, thanks for all your opinions guys!!!

I've been occupied the last couple of days and hadn't
been on the forum.

Well I see that there are some similar opinions and totally
the opposite opinions.

From what I can see, everyone really is different.

I don't know if it's a change in metabolism for me, but I can promise
that at 30yrs old I'm just as active when I was younger. The only
difference is that I don't compete in football or MMA any more. But
I still train on the same level as if I were still competing.

HIIT for cardio and training heavy is what I've always done. The funny
thing is, the last 2 months I've altered my diet and lowered my calories.
I have one cheat day a week now instead of 2 like I used too, I have
stopped eating red meat every day (now only 1 to 2x's a week), and I
avoid foods rich in sugar and salt.

Now that you mention shopping around the outside of the grocery store,
you are right that all the fresh and "real food" is there.

One thing I should mention for those who aren't aware I do take
thyroid medication as I had to have my thyroid gland burned with
Iodine due to hyper active.

I will take all of information and opinions into consideration and see what
happens.

One thing is for sure, at 30 I'm looking and feeling a lot better eating 4 meals
with 2 low carb/sugar Whey shakes a day than eating 5-6 meals and
3-4 shakes a day as I had been doing the last bunch of years.

I do appreciate further information and opinions.

Thanks again guys for your help!! :D

vdizenzo
07-14-2008, 02:45 PM
I am about to turn 39 and am currently getting in the best shape since my early twenties. I am making healthier food choices, training more frequently, and conditioning myself with gpp and cardio. I'll be damned if I am going to blame my metabolism for my laziness. I look at guys like Dave Tate and Marc Bartley and they are getting into the best shape of their lives and they are around the 40 year old mark also.

texron
07-16-2008, 09:25 PM
I am about to turn 39 and am currently getting in the best shape since my early twenties. I am making healthier food choices, training more frequently, and conditioning myself with gpp and cardio. I'll be damned if I am going to blame my metabolism for my laziness. I look at guys like Dave Tate and Marc Bartley and they are getting into the best shape of their lives and they are around the 40 year old mark also.

I'm 49..I hate seeing that in print, I'm in the best shape of my life but the metabolism has sslloowweedd wwaayy down. I used to eat like a pig and sit at 160, now I have to watch every little thing to sit at 200 sigh.

RhodeHouse
07-16-2008, 09:39 PM
I'm 49..I hate seeing that in print, I'm in the best shape of my life but the metabolism has sslloowweedd wwaayy down. I used to eat like a pig and sit at 160, now I have to watch every little thing to sit at 200 sigh.

Train harder. It's the answer. At your ripe old age (just kidding) it will be tougher to stay in the same shape you were in when you were 30. Hell, my dad is 63, with abs. He splits wood, walks for an hour a day, plays raquetball - slow metabolism at 30? Please! Stop crying and start exercising. Slow metabolism at 30. That's funny.

texron
07-16-2008, 09:44 PM
Train harder. It's the answer. At your ripe old age (just kidding) it will be tougher to stay in the same shape you were in when you were 30. Hell, my dad is 63, with abs. He splits wood, walks for an hour a day, plays raquetball - slow metabolism at 30? Please! Stop crying and start exercising. Slow metabolism at 30. That's funny.

eh, don't want abs, mine are strong just hidden by...ahem FAT. Won't hear me cry I love my age. Most say I look like I'm in my late 30's...Ok, my wife.
Your metabolism, and it varies from person to person, slows down around 30, exercise and proper eating can STALL it but it WILL happen. Seen it happen to way to many of my friends and me. Love handles just give my wife something to hold onto.

RhodeHouse
07-16-2008, 10:10 PM
eh, don't want abs, mine are strong just hidden by...ahem FAT. Won't hear me cry I love my age. Most say I look like I'm in my late 30's...Ok, my wife.
Your metabolism, and it varies from person to person, slows down around 30, exercise and proper eating can STALL it but it WILL happen. Seen it happen to way to many of my friends and me. Love handles just give my wife something to hold onto.

Something to hold onto? Does she strap it on? Just messing with you, but that's cool if she does. I'm jealous.

I'm 32 and I'm in the best shape of my post-football life. I just refuse to use metabolism as an excuse for myself. I know it slows, but Ithink we slow more than our actual metabolism. Life gets more hectic and demanding on OUR time. So, our activity levels slow as we get older, speeding up the slowing metabolism. Just my thoughts.

Guido
07-17-2008, 09:02 AM
Something to hold onto? Does she strap it on? Just messing with you, but that's cool if she does. I'm jealous.

I'm 32 and I'm in the best shape of my post-football life. I just refuse to use metabolism as an excuse for myself. I know it slows, but Ithink we slow more than our actual metabolism. Life gets more hectic and demanding on OUR time. So, our activity levels slow as we get older, speeding up the slowing metabolism. Just my thoughts.I agree with this. Slowing metabolism is just an excuse a lot of people make for being less active and not eating right anymore as they get older. Yes, it does slow a very little bit for most people but it doesn't take much more to make up for it with a slight increase in daily activity.

Mercuryblade
04-29-2009, 12:07 AM
hi all,
Metabolism is the set of chemical reactions that occur in living organisms in order to maintain life.
These processes allow organisms to grow and reproduce, maintain their structures, and respond to their environments.

NO WAY.
Now I'm going to click the link in your signature!

evilxxx
04-29-2009, 01:17 AM
There's no change in metabolism. You're not as active as you used to be, so it's harder to stay in shape. Think about how much you did when you were younger. Now, as life catches up, work, family, kids, etc.. get in the way of your physical activity. Don't use the old metabolism excuse like some use the genetics excuse. Get out there and make time for yourself. Consciously eat better. Pick foods that are low in fat and sugar. Stay away from processed foods. Here's a great hint - when you grocery shop, only shop around the outside of the store. try not to go down the aisles. All the fresh food is on the outside, and all the packaged/processed food is in the aisles (for the most part).

1. Eat 5-6 times a day
2. Exercise 5-6 days a week (weights and cardio)
3. Don't allow yourself to become too sedentary with work and life

You know...after reading this a while ago I decided to go to the 24h pricechopper store here and this is what I found walking on the outside... starting on the left around the store,deli area, fruits,veggies,breads, seafood, meats,milk,juices,eggs,dairy products and beer!! so it is true...no need to go into the main aisles! hahaha

but yes im almost mid 30's and I control my weight with the stuff I eat. I used to think my metabolism had slowed down but you just dont think about all the other things that can affect it...less partying, less dancing, less sex if you decided to get married, you stay home with the family instead of going all over with the friends and walking around the mall looking at the ladies...hehe..err I mean shopping...

Mercuryblade
04-29-2009, 12:19 PM
You know...after reading this a while ago I decided to go to the 24h pricechopper store here and this is what I found walking on the outside... starting on the left around the store,deli area, fruits,veggies,breads, seafood, meats,milk,juices,eggs,dairy products and beer!! so it is true...no need to go into the main aisles! hahaha

but yes im almost mid 30's and I control my weight with the stuff I eat. I used to think my metabolism had slowed down but you just dont think about all the other things that can affect it...less partying, less dancing, less sex if you decided to get married, you stay home with the family instead of going all over with the friends and walking around the mall looking at the ladies...hehe..err I mean shopping...

http://www.healthmad.com/Weight-Loss/Does-Your-Metabolism-Have-to-Slow-with-Age.52396

The MD that wrote that basically argues that it has mostly to do with the fact that most people don't maintain enough lean mass as they get older and that's why their metabolism slows down.

Holto
04-30-2009, 10:19 AM
I'm 32 now, and due to some brutal injuries have about the same lean mass as when I was 25 and I'm cutting on the same 3500 cals...

Gotta agree with Rhodes here...people don't account for the change in activity. Imagine comparing an office job to any job where you're not sitting...