PDA

View Full Version : Over-Training

alex11012
07-07-2008, 01:26 PM
Is there a set time/number of sets/exercises or is it based on individual stamina/strength? At what point to you lose the gains? Does it make a difference at what time of the day etc you exercise.

e.g. 75 mins max session early morning workouts, 3 exercises x 3 sets.

Is this a set max or are can some blokes train for longer others.

Isaac Wilkins
07-07-2008, 01:51 PM
It depends on what you're doing and your work capacity.

Work capacity can vary as per the individual (with a ****-ton of factors there), conditioning, recovery methods, diet, etc.

After a while you'll get a pretty good sense of where you need to be if you pay attention to your body.

alex11012
07-07-2008, 01:55 PM
It depends on what you're doing and your work capacity.

Work capacity can vary as per the individual (with a ****-ton of factors there), conditioning, recovery methods, diet, etc.

After a while you'll get a pretty good sense of where you need to be if you pay attention to your body.

Cheers, I am thinking the same. Eating more should mean you can train more.

This on reflection might be in the wrong forum or though the question is aimed at the powerlifts.

strongkid963
07-07-2008, 01:59 PM
overtraining is just the ideas passed on by the super strong to keep the weak from getting to powerful.!

RhodeHouse
07-07-2008, 06:07 PM
You're not over-training. You're under-eating and under-rested. Over-training is a buzzword in the fitness industry. Not many work hard enough to overtrain.

RedSpikeyThing
07-07-2008, 08:32 PM
You're not over-training. You're under-eating and under-rested. Over-training is a buzzword in the fitness industry. Not many work hard enough to overtrain.

The harder I train the more I realize this.

alex11012
07-08-2008, 01:52 AM

Good to hear! Thanks for the education.

The reason I asked this question is since since I've started bulking, I have more energy to do longer & harder workouts.

Now there is no need for me to worry about how long I spend in the gym.

Isaac Wilkins
07-08-2008, 04:18 AM
Good to hear! Thanks for the education.

The reason I asked this question is since since I've started bulking, I have more energy to do longer & harder workouts.

To some degree that's true, but there comes a point of diminishing returns as well. Get what you need to do done and then get working on the eating and recovery part of it.

brihead301
07-08-2008, 06:46 AM
Ya, the word "overtraining" is thrown around way too much. While it definately is possible to overtrain, I have yet to experience what that feels like. I'm usually in the gym for close to 2 hours, and when I get done I just go home and pass out because I'm so beat. That's just called "being tired" though.

RedSpikeyThing
07-08-2008, 07:31 AM

You still need to gradually increase the amount of work you're doing, though. Suddenly adding a bunch of exercises to your routine is going to wipe you out pretty quick.

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
07-08-2008, 09:45 AM
Is there a set time/number of sets/exercises or is it based on individual stamina/strength? At what point to you lose the gains? Does it make a difference at what time of the day etc you exercise.

e.g. 75 mins max session early morning workouts, 3 exercises x 3 sets.

Is this a set max or are can some blokes train for longer others.

As far as over-training, just listen to your body. When you start your max session and you find yourself not feeling 100%. Just reduce the volume or switch to a different exercise.

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
GOT MAXIMUM MASS STACK?

smokinHawk
07-08-2008, 09:50 AM
over training is when your muscles start tearing or your joints start ripping.
workout hard then rest long enough, sleep well, eat well, and overtraining will be hard.

thewicked
07-08-2008, 09:55 AM
all comes down to recovery...if you're not allowing yourself time enough between workouts to full recover, you're not eating enough, etc. overtraining comes FAST! Always be monitoring and reaccessing everything you do to prevent it from hapenning.

richwilliams77
07-09-2008, 03:23 PM
Try deloading every 6-8 weeks if you feel that delayed onset muscle soreness is always present along with prolong fatigue and insomnia. or when weight you lifted a few weeks ago seem to be harder to push. check calories sufficiency and how much sleep your getting. just listen to your body not your program.

sponsored by Atlarge Nutrition.

alex11012
07-10-2008, 01:27 AM
Cheers for all responses, boys.