PDA

View Full Version : Snacking options

rwill1212
07-07-2008, 04:24 PM
I'm currently trying to lose 15-20 lbs and I am looking int cleaning up my diet, mainly because it is horrible. At the moment I currently snack on Nacho Cheese sunflower seeds, whole fruit popsicles (sp?), and atleast once a week I cheat and eat some oreos maybe 8 at the most. Now that I've been working out I have been a little more hungry during the day, can you guys suggest some better snacks for me because I dont really have the schedule to eat like 6 small meals and I don't want to mess up all of this hard work by eating garbage like cookies and chips. Any suggestions on snacks that actually dont make you yakk?

getfit
07-07-2008, 04:37 PM
nuts,make your own trail mix,cottage cheese,berries,fill up a baggie with baby carrots,celery,sliced apple.Makes a great snack.

ArjunDhir
07-07-2008, 05:44 PM
Hand full of almonds, any type of fruit, yogurt.

tanker_67
07-07-2008, 06:49 PM
yogurt, nuts, fruit slices, veggies, there are some of those, bars, that are made for healthy choice snacks, they aren't too bad when you're hungry enough, i'm serious!

40 Nunc
07-07-2008, 06:59 PM
Hey again rwill... Try to mix a protein and carb together each meal like a cup of cottage cheese with an apple or Tuna on 12 grain bread or steak with a sweet potato. Fruits and veg's are mostly carbs so overloading on them will make you gain weight so try to keep it even.

Get some protein powder. I've found that Casein type powders mix up a little thicker and will hold you over longer than whey isolate so you can probably have a shake in place of a meal.

Almonds (like sunflower seeds) are great protein and contain healthy fat. Make sure they're unsalted and probably keep it to a handful or so per day depending on your other meals because they're pretty fattening.

Protein bars are good for meal replacement too, but try to find one that is low in sugar.

Beef or turkey jerky is a great snack. Hope this helps.

rwill1212
07-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Hey again rwill... Try to mix a protein and carb together each meal like a cup of cottage cheese with an apple or Tuna on 12 grain bread or steak with a sweet potato. Fruits and veg's are mostly carbs so overloading on them will make you gain weight so try to keep it even.

Get some protein powder. I've found that Casein type powders mix up a little thicker and will hold you over longer than whey isolate so you can probably have a shake in place of a meal.

Almonds (like sunflower seeds) are great protein and contain healthy fat. Make sure they're unsalted and probably keep it to a handful or so per day depending on your other meals because they're pretty fattening.

Protein bars are good for meal replacement too, but try to find one that is low in sugar.

Beef or turkey jerky is a great snack. Hope this helps.

Just the man I wanted to talk to. I cant send you a PM, but could you give me some tips on losing this 15-20 lbs like you did? I could really use the motivation and some hep would be great, oh yeah and to the above posters thanks for the tips, I'm allergic to Dairy!! It sux sometimes..lol

40 Nunc
07-07-2008, 07:32 PM
Just the man I wanted to talk to. I cant send you a PM, but could you give me some tips on losing this 15-20 lbs like you did? I could really use the motivation and some hep would be great, oh yeah and to the above posters thanks for the tips, I'm allergic to Dairy!! It sux sometimes..lol

Why cant you PM?

rwill1212
07-07-2008, 08:14 PM
Why cant you PM?

It said I needed a certain number of posts

40 Nunc
07-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Okay, I'll help as much as I can...

I'm about the same size as you so when I was reducing my weight I kept my calories around 1300-1500 per day. Protein 180 grams, carbs 140 grams, fat 45 grams. Always combined protein and carb each meal. Weight training 3 days & cardio 3 days. I tried to eat 6 meals/day as often as I could and have a cheat day usually on Saturday so I could party a little with friends.

I know it's difficult for you to schedule 6 meals/day but do your best. Look at the example below and maybe you can modify it to 4 meals/day and its a simple menu that doesn't take much thought...

Calories Protein Carbs Fat
Meal 1 Protein Shake 100 23 1 0
Meal 2 Jerky-snack 80 14 2 2
Apple 74 0 19 0
Meal 3 Tuna Fish 160 35 0 1
12 grain bread 100 4 18 2
Meal 4 6" Subway Turkey Sub 280 36 46 5
dbl meat/whole wheat with veggies, no cheese/oil/salt
Meal 5 Large Chicken Breast 242 42 0 5
Medium Sweet Potato 259 3 47 7
Meal 6 Protein Shake 125 24 5 1

Total Calories: 1399
Protein: 181
Carbs: 139
Fat: 22 (The fat is actually too low here so add a handful of almonds @ 14 grams/fat)

You can modify this menu pretty easily. Just keep an eye on your numbers. Register on fitday.com for free and play around with some different foods.

Try to avoid white flour and corn products (bread, tortillas, chips, etc) Avoid sugar as much as possible (soda, candy, OREOS, etc)

Some good carbs besides fruits/vegs are brown rice, oatmeal, sweet potatos.

Lots of lean meat and fish.

You might not find some foods on Fitday but you can add your own custom foods by using the nutrition information from the product box/wrapper...

There is another website called CalorieKing.com that has a $7/month membership fee. It has just about every major restaraunt menu so you can find the nutrition information for a Jumbo Jack or an Outback Onion, etc...

Let me know if this helps.