PDA

View Full Version : Critics for my Routine

AJ_H
07-08-2008, 12:04 PM
Ok here goes: Bold= compound moves (the order of them is cycled around each week, e.g. Bench Press, Biceps Curl= bench press first one week then biceps curl first the next week but both moves are done both weeks)

Day 1: Three week cycle for Compound moves: 5RM x 5, 3RM x 3, 1RM x 1

Squats (alternate between front and back each week)
Bench Press (usually dumbbell occasionally barbell for variation because I prefer dumbbell)
Straight Legs
Bent BB rows

Accessory moves: (less important) Biceps, Forearms, Calves, 2-3 sets of 8-12 reps per week

Day 2: Three week cycle for compound moves: 3RM x 3, 1RM x 1, 5RM x 5

Deadlifts
Dips
Pullups (alternate between towel[for grip strength] and weighted pullups)
Cleans

Accessory moves: Core, 2-3 sets of 8-12 reps

Day 3: Three week cycle for compound moves: 1RM x 1, 5RM x 5, 3RM x 3

Snatches
Lunges
Jerks
Olympic Press(again usually dumbbell, sometimes barbell)

Accessory: shoulders (both front and rear delts), 2-3 sets of 8-12 reps

There is plenty of 'rest days' (sometimes with light GPP work) between each workout.

Travis Bell
07-08-2008, 12:29 PM
that is a really weird workout, where did you find that?

AJ_H
07-08-2008, 01:19 PM
I made it myself...what's weird about it?

AJ_H
07-08-2008, 01:22 PM
well the important thing is whether you think it is good enough or not...I am going on holiday for two weeks tommorow so I may not be able to reply to any of your posts so thank you in advance for any help.

ehubbard
07-08-2008, 01:23 PM
What is your goal?

AJ_H
07-08-2008, 01:25 PM
What is your goal?

basically to build up as much strength as possible and possibly increase muscle mass in the process (power over size).

ehubbard
07-08-2008, 02:06 PM
I am going to make some assumptions here and guess that you are a beginner. In my opinion you should have some sort of quantifiable goal, whether thats short term or long term makes no difference so long as you realize that a long term goal is going to need to be broken down into smaller goals along the way. Building up as much strength as possible is too general a goal. Bench press 300 lbs is a quantifiable goal. My advise to you would be to pick out a quantifiable goal and work towards that goal.

Overall you seem to be focusing on max effort (1-5 RM) with no repetition effort or speed emphasis (other than the oly lifts and your accessory work). If you are a beginner you will likely need more hypertrophy / RE emphasis. On top of that I would say that a beginner should avoid the oly lifts without the proper coaching. If indeed you are a beginner than I would drop the oly movements and focus on squats, bench, deadlifts, and chin ups / pullups (but then again I am a biased powerlifter)

On the max effort movements you only work up to one set of a full 1 RM. I would maybe do a few more sets at that same weight (between 3 and 5 sets of 1rep).

Bench("usually dumbbell occasionally barbell for variation because I prefer dumbbell") - If you are trying to get as strong as possible than barbell lifts would be more effective than dumbbell lifts. I would use dumbbell work as an accessory exercise or on a deload week.

There is plenty of 'rest days' (sometimes with light GPP work) between each workout. - How old are you? How much time can you devote to training? Do you normally feel overtrained?

AJ_H
07-08-2008, 02:33 PM
First of all I wanted to thank you very much for devoting the time to try and help me in the way you have done, ehubbard.

To answer your first question I don't really know whether lifting for nearly a year consists of being a beginner or not, but I am certainly starting to pick up on things now...or so I think (I did not know much about lifting when I started but I know a lot more now). Secondly I misunderstood your question about my goals. I do indeed have goals more general than building up strength. I am aiming to increase my main lifts by 5-10% by the end of an 8-12 week goal, my goal for the end of the year is to bench 3 plates, squat 4 and a bit (i'm nearly at 4 anyway) and strengthen my core so it matches my squat and deadlift 5 plates.

IMO, though you are most likely right about stopping the oly lifts but it is not like I haven't researched the form or anything. And yes I shall try and include some more DE training. I actually do 3 sets for my 1RM something along the lines of 80%x1, 90%x1 and 100%x1. I did not know you were supposed to lift 100%x1 for 3 sets. For such a low repetition I thought it would be wise to do low sets...

The dumbbell over barbell issue is actually a matter of opinion. I do both, but I do dumbbell because it works the stabilizer muscles, gives equal training to both arms has a greater ROM and oh one other thing: it burns my chest like ****.

I am 16 and certainly do not feel overtrained. If I were to begin to feel overtrained then I would certainly cut down my work. I have only just decided to do some light GPP work on my recovery days based on some other threads on here.

Travis Bell
07-08-2008, 02:57 PM
you have squatting and benching on the same day, the next day doing deadlifts and dips?

have a squat day, a bench day and deadlift on the squat day. Two ascessory days and you're good to go.

ehubbard
07-08-2008, 03:05 PM
You're welcome.

Researching the form of olympic lifts and executing them are two entirely differnt things. These lifts are very hard to execute properly without proper coaching and lots of practice. If your goal is to bench, squat and deadlift a certain amount of weight you should focus on those lifts.

You can handle more weight with the barbell. This is a more effective means to get stronger. Working your stabilizers (unless you have a glaring weakness in them) is more of an accessory focus so work the dumbells as a secondary exercise. Plus, have you every seen a tattoo of a dumbell on someone? No, it's always a barbell. Catch my drift.

You may want to check out Jim Wendler's Training Three Days a Week. It has a bunch of templates that I think would be very effective for you.

AJ_H
07-08-2008, 03:06 PM
you have squatting and benching on the same day, the next day doing deadlifts and dips?

have a squat day, a bench day and deadlift on the squat day. Two ascessory days and you're good to go.

Do you rotate the order of your squats and deadlifts each week so that neither of them get underhit?

AJ_H
07-08-2008, 03:28 PM
You're welcome.

Researching the form of olympic lifts and executing them are two entirely differnt things. These lifts are very hard to execute properly without proper coaching and lots of practice. If your goal is to bench, squat and deadlift a certain amount of weight you should focus on those lifts.

You can handle more weight with the barbell. This is a more effective means to get stronger. Working your stabilizers (unless you have a glaring weakness in them) is more of an accessory focus so work the dumbells as a secondary exercise. Plus, have you every seen a tattoo of a dumbell on someone? No, it's always a barbell. Catch my drift.

You may want to check out Jim Wendler's Training Three Days a Week. It has a bunch of templates that I think would be very effective for you.

I will do thanks. How much do reasonably good olympic coaches normally cost in the US? Are they easily accessible? Is there a website I can find out about how to get in touch with one? I live in the UK so I don't really know whether it is different here to over there...

vdizenzo
07-08-2008, 03:30 PM
Try this, it's a version of Westside for skinny bastards. By the way, for lifting one year you are a beginner. I would say most lifters with under 4-5 years of experience are beginners. That is not an insult so do not take it that way.

Monday: Upper Body Max Effort
A. Bench Press Variant 3-5RM
B. Horizontal Row 4 X 5-10
C. Supplemental press 3-4 X 6-10
D. Upper back variant 2-3 X 12-15
E. Weighted Abdominal work 3-4 X 8-15

Wednesday: Lower Body Max Effort
A. Deadlift Variant 3-5RM
B. Squat Variant 3 X 8
C. Weighted Hypers 3 X 8
D. Ghetto GHRs 2 X 8

Friday: Upper Body Repetition Effort
A. Repetition Effort Bench Variant
B. Vertical Pull Variant 4 X 8-12
C. Medial Delt or Trap Variant 3 X 10-15
D. Triceps Supplemental Variant 3-4 X 5-10
E. Curl Variant 3 X 8-10
F. Abdominal circuit training

Monday: Lower Body Max Effort
A. Squat Variant 3-5RM
B. Pull Variant 3 X 8
C. Weighted Hypers 3 X 8
D. Ghetto GHRs 2 X 8

Lift Variations

Bench Press Variants: Thick or regular bar bench press, Floor press, Rack lockout, Board press, Incline bench press, Close grip bench press, Decline bench press

Supplemental Press Variants: Flat, Incline, or Decline Dumbbell or barbell bench press

Row Variants: Chest supported rows (like a T-Bar row), Pendlay Rows, Yates Rows, Seated cable row

Upper Back Variants: Seated rear delt machine,Seated dumbbell “power cleans”, Bent-over cable flyes (single arm), Standing face pulls, Rope pulls to throat, Bent-over dumbbell rear delt flyes, Cable “scarecrows”

Abdominal Variant: Barbell Russian twists, Low-cable pull-ins, Hanging leg raises, Barbell or dumbbell side bends, Weighted Swiss ball crunches, Low pulley Swiss ball crunches

Repetition Effort Bench Variant: Flat barbell bench press max reps (w/ 95, 135, 185, or 225LBS); Max reps with a regular pushup, chain suspended pushup, or bar pushup; Bodyweight dips; DB Bench for higher reps

Triceps Supplemental Variant: Dumbbell triceps extension, Dumbbell floor presses, Rope pressdowns, Skull crushers

Vertical Pull Variant: Chin ups, pull ups, add weight to keep rep range, or use pulldown if you can’t get rep range with body weight

Medial Delt or Trap Variant: Dumbbell side press (single arm), Dumbbell shoulder press (seated or standing), Lateral raises (dumbbell or cable), Barbell or dumbbell shrugs, Bradford presses

Curl Variant: Thick bar curls, Preacher curls (EZ bar or straight bar), Regular barbell curls, Hammer curls, Alternate dumbbell curls (standing or seated incline)

Abdominal circuit training: Pick a bunch of different ab exercises

Deadlift Variant: Conventional deadlift, Platform Deadlift, Rack pull, Sumo deadlift

Squat Variant: Wide stance squats, Medium stance squats, Heels together squats, Front squats

Pull Variant: Good Mornings (of any variety), Stiff leg deadlifts, Romanian deadlifts

****I am a tool for rifling through the posts too quickly**** I did not take the oly lifts into account. Sorry. I have no background in oly lifting so I am not going to recommend anything. However, the program is a quality program for overall strength and size for beginners.

AJ_H
07-08-2008, 03:31 PM
Thank you vdizenzo but I don't really consider myself a skinny bastard...

vdizenzo
07-08-2008, 03:34 PM
Thank you vdizenzo but I don't really consider myself a skinny bastard...

It's not just for skinny bastards. It's a great program for beginners. Again, I did not take the oly lifting into account. If the oly lifts are not that important to you, I guarantee you will make solid gains if you follow the program.

Ben Moore
07-08-2008, 03:35 PM
The workout is meant as a way to put on size and strength. Just a name - look more at the workout and less the title.

AJ_H
07-08-2008, 03:37 PM
I know, I know, I said that semi-joking (while still considering the routine). and thanks a lot for all the input guys!

AJ_H
07-14-2008, 02:19 PM
Hey vdizenso thatwas pretty good routine I think I'm gonna stick to it for a few years seriously thanks...just a few questions:

1. Would you have me do a RE day for my legs as well?
2. Aren't ME days meant to be 72 hours apart? Or is that DE and ME days?

Not that I'm questioning you or anything; your help's been really beneficial to me I just wanted to set this info straight and thank you properly because I know you might have taken my earlier post the wrong way...