PDA

View Full Version : Diet suggestions for gaining mass+endurance and speed

ljs102
07-09-2008, 10:04 AM
Hello everyone,
I'm 5'7" and weigh 140 lbs. I lost about 25 pounds in the last 6 months working out on my own, and am now trying to become a real athlete and play my sport (lacrosse) in college. I would like to be at a weight where I can't be pushed around at my height, since I am not really a lightning fast guy, I think this weight would be around 165 lbs. I also need to work on my endurance and foot speed/quickness just as much as my strength. I'm on the school's workout program, which is 4 days a week lifting, 3 days cardio (sprints, distance, repeats/playing lacrosse).

I'm trying to bulk up very cleanly, since I have been eating very healthy for the past 6 months (except for 1 month during our season, but I didn't gain any weight with how active I was). I'm wondering, how much should I be eating if I am trying to gain weight, but also gain a significant amount of endurance and speed? I've been trying to eat about 3000 calories a day, 2400 on non workout days, and I have been between 139-141 lbs in the last month. I don't mind the weight coming on slowly, but I would like to be around 150 lbs by the time I start playing in September and hopefully be 165 when the season starts in February. I'm very confused about my diet, and any help would be appreciated. Thanks a lot!

EDIT: If anyone is wondering about supplements I use: I use some natural 100% whey, just started fish oil, and waiting for the atlarge multi-plus to come in the mail

WillNoble
07-09-2008, 11:38 AM
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=99119

ljs102
07-09-2008, 12:00 PM
I've read most of the links in there. What I'm confused about is how much I should be eating to gain mass if I am also training to gain endurance and speed, since gaining fat will hinder my speed goals. I'm trying to do this very clean, but I need to know about how many calories I should be consuming a day. I would guess that I'm not eating enough, but I'm very cautious about gaining fat with my speed training and with the weight I recently lost.

WillNoble
07-09-2008, 12:11 PM
hint: if you're not gaining weight...eat more.

Try and eat multiple times a day(5-6), eat whole foods, plenty of lean meat and greens, stick with a good whey protein (obviously ALN is highly recommended), a good multi, and some EFA's. Outide of that...read, study, figure out what works for you.

Or just hire someone to do your diet and nutrition planning for you. Typically this is not as expensive as you may think.

RhodeHouse
07-09-2008, 12:22 PM
As long as you're working out and running hard, you'll be fine. At your size, the last thing you should be wasting your time worrying about is fat. Eat everything in sight.

Tennessee Mike
07-09-2008, 12:25 PM
This is the hardest thing to explain to my clients.When someone wants to "Bulk Clean" or get big and ripped at the same time.Assuming you are drug free,you have to realize that gaining muscle mass is a slow,agonizing process.In order to bulk,you need to eat more calories than your body needs for maintenance.If your eating clean foods(egg whites,tuna,chicken,lean beef,rice,veggies,oats,etc), then your gonna have to double the amounts you normally would,due to the fact they will be utilized faster.While you may have enough calories to get through a workout,do you have enough for recovery and growth?Ive always found it more beneficial to put on a few pounds,go through a mass cycle,then cut down and strip bodyfat(bodybuilder style).You never want to leave anything to chance when trying to gain muscle.A surplus of calories and heavy training is what you need to do that.You neednt be gun shy about gaining weight back because you now know how to lose it again anyway.

ljs102
07-09-2008, 01:23 PM
Thanks a lot guys. I'm trying to eat more. The thing is, I need to be in good shape when fall practices start to showcase how good I am, so I don't think I have enough time to go "bodybuilder style" and do a mini-bulk and a mini-cut. I'm going to seek out some more recipes and go grocery shopping to get some more meal ideas. 3000 calories in a day is pretty hard to reach for me, as I don't have a very big appetite since I have been eating less and losing weight for the last 6-7 months, so it should be interesting trying to get more. I had been overweight for many years and didn't know very much about exercise and dieting. I think I need to look for low volume high calorie foods. Are there any good natural ways of increasing your appetite? I don't feel very good when I force feed myself the calories I need.

Thanks again

RhodeHouse
07-09-2008, 04:41 PM
Thanks a lot guys. I'm trying to eat more. The thing is, I need to be in good shape when fall practices start to showcase how good I am, so I don't think I have enough time to go "bodybuilder style" and do a mini-bulk and a mini-cut. I'm going to seek out some more recipes and go grocery shopping to get some more meal ideas. 3000 calories in a day is pretty hard to reach for me, as I don't have a very big appetite since I have been eating less and losing weight for the last 6-7 months, so it should be interesting trying to get more. I had been overweight for many years and didn't know very much about exercise and dieting. I think I need to look for low volume high calorie foods. Are there any good natural ways of increasing your appetite? I don't feel very good when I force feed myself the calories I need.

Thanks again

Welcome to gaining weight. It's hard, like Mike said. I went from 190lbs to 230 in 3 months when I was playing football. As long as you keep your conditioning up, you'll be fine. You really should listen, because I've done it and I know exactly what I'm talking about.

Learn to force feed if you want to gain weight. If it wasd easy, there wouldn't be any "men" under 200lbs. By "men" I mean women. Someone fill in the blank for me...

Ben Moore
07-09-2008, 05:12 PM
Oils, peanut butter, heavy cream, and nuts are your friends - Pick from these and add them in at every meal.

ljs102
07-09-2008, 08:28 PM
Thanks a lot guys. Another question, what percent of my intank should be carbs? I think I am eating way too much carbs, as they are usually 65-70% of my daily calorie intank. What would be a good % for my goals? These carbs are usually from bread for PB sandwiches, oats for shakes and oatmeal, fruit, granola and cereal, and gatorade (which I am addicted to). I'm thinking right now that these are all foods that I should be eating, but from what I've seen people bulking generally eat less carbs than I do.

Thanks again!

RhodeHouse
07-10-2008, 10:18 AM
Well, all these people not eating a lot of carbs aren't making much progess gaining weight. Don't waste your time with percents. Get at least your bodyweight in grams of protein everday. After that, it doesn't matter what you eat. Carbs are your friend, despite what all these tiny people say about them.

Sorry to say this, but it's really as simple as, eat more food. That's the answer. No percents, fractions, scales - just eat more food. That's the only thing you need to worry about. Anything beyond that is a colossal waste of time.

CrazyK
07-10-2008, 10:25 AM
Well, all these people not eating a lot of carbs aren't making much progess gaining weight. Don't waste your time with percents. Get at least your bodyweight in grams of protein everday. After that, it doesn't matter what you eat. Carbs are your friend, despite what all these tiny people say about them.

Sorry to say this, but it's really as simple as, eat more food. That's the answer. No percents, fractions, scales - just eat more food. That's the only thing you need to worry about. Anything beyond that is a colossal waste of time.Yup lol. Here's what you do....go to McD's...5 Double Cheeseburgers with Mac Sauce and a large strawberry shake. Down this daily after your post workout shake. You'll make gains.

Tennessee Mike
07-10-2008, 12:07 PM
You have to commit to eating just like training.Too many guys bust their ass in the gym,yet eat twice a day.And they wonder why they dont make progress.I made my best gains after having a "no limit" diet.Good food,junk food,it all has utilizable nutrients In my opinion,if your not gonna slam-eat,then dont even go to a gym.Ive eaten to the point of puking many times.But I also have a HUGE appetite.Which helps.

ljs102
07-10-2008, 01:28 PM
Alright, time to stretch out my stomach, haha. I'm still going to eat healthy, but I'm ramping up the intank big time. Time to go feel nautious...thanks guys.

TheGMan
07-11-2008, 07:17 AM
You say on here about eating anything but surely eating fast food is not good for you?/

my mate is a big lad, he is on steriods but he eats awful, chips and cheese really late at night, pizza, - sometimes he will eat really well but then regulary just go mental.

Where as i am completely natural, no drugs i eat very healthy stuff (i am cuttin so i always have in my head no junk food)So is it something like

Anyfood is good for you as long as it is in moderation and you are doing the exercise to back up what you eat??

RhodeHouse
07-11-2008, 08:30 AM
You say on here about eating anything but surely eating fast food is not good for you?/

my mate is a big lad, he is on steriods but he eats awful, chips and cheese really late at night, pizza, - sometimes he will eat really well but then regulary just go mental.

Where as i am completely natural, no drugs i eat very healthy stuff (i am cuttin so i always have in my head no junk food)So is it something like

Anyfood is good for you as long as it is in moderation and you are doing the exercise to back up what you eat??

Fast food isn't great for you, but it won't kill you. Whatever your goal is, you need to figure out what it's going to take to get there. if fast food helps you get there, go eat it. Steroids make it that much easier to get jacked or ripped - whatever your goal.

Moderation is a good policy. Do whatever you need to do to get to your goals.

BFGUITAR
07-11-2008, 12:06 PM
Fast food isn't great for you, but it won't kill you. Whatever your goal is, you need to figure out what it's going to take to get there. if fast food helps you get there, go eat it. Steroids make it that much easier to get jacked or ripped - whatever your goal.

Moderation is a good policy. Do whatever you need to do to get to your goals.

Even if it involves assassinating high government officials :)

RhodeHouse
07-11-2008, 10:43 PM
Even if it involves assassinating high government officials :)

This can get tricky. There's always some red tape you have to cut thru. But, yes. If the high-ranking government officials get in your way, take 'em down. Don't us the word assassinate, though. Ugly word. Use the phrase. "remove from office". It sounds much nicer.

McLaughlin
07-12-2008, 08:31 AM
I just wanna say reading through this helped me quite a bit.

I'm 5'7 also and 165 but feel like I haven't been gaining.

One of my biggest questions was about eating and such, because
I eat 4-5 times a day until full, but I guess the extra meal or even
a bit of stuffing would tip the scales towards gain.

RhodeHouse
07-12-2008, 12:32 PM
I just wanna say reading through this helped me quite a bit.

I'm 5'7 also and 165 but feel like I haven't been gaining.

One of my biggest questions was about eating and such, because
I eat 4-5 times a day until full, but I guess the extra meal or even
a bit of stuffing would tip the scales towards gain.

An extra meal AND stuffing yourself will certainly do the trick. Eating can be fun.